It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Aloha from Waikoloa Village
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:51 pm 
Menehune

Hi, this seems like a real friendly forum. But not too many new posts lately? I hope newbies are welcome?

About us -- we are fairly new island residents. DH and I bought a foreclosure house in the Village a couple years ago. It was a real mess and a ton of work to rehab. The yard had been trashed and allowed to die out. That's our current project, putting in landscaping. Not easy with all the wind here.

We retired early and live on a modest budget. I'm a golf widow now, thanks to the homeowner's discount at the course here. :P (OK with me, as long as he's happy.)

We came here five times on vacation before we made the leap. Looked at property all over the island. Thought the other side was so pretty and green, but in the end we opted to get away from the rain. The sunsets here in the Village are incredible! and the price was right ...

Hobbies -- working on learning to pronounce the place names here and learning the plants, reading some history of Hawai'i, fascinated by the volcanoes. Don't want to be one of those mainland transplants who moves here then stays exactly the same-- only with a year round tan. :alien:

Lots of good info on this board!

Post subject: Re: Aloha from Waikoloa Village
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:42 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Hi, this seems like a real friendly forum. But not too many new posts lately? I hope newbies are welcome?
Friendly?! You should try punaweb for that! :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, everybody is welcomed here as long as you are not a rat and don't attack others. Welcome to Waikoblowa! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
http://www.JohnRabi.com
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Aloha Pua,

Newbies are more than welcome here! I hope you love it in Waikoloa! So does this mean you are on the dry side of Kamuela? I want to try the huli huli chicken from the guy and his trailer on the corner. Also, never had a poi ball and this is the only area I have seen them. Have you tried these yet? I guess I have to say my favorite restaurant is Hawaiian Style. Best biggest breakfasts I have ever had and especially for the price!

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask or share anything you like here. You are now part of the KF ohana.

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Dream Kona
Southpoint Hawaii
Da Kine Hosting
Da Kine Web Design

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:36 pm 
Malihini

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Hobbies -- working on learning to pronounce the place names here and learning the plants, reading some history of Hawai'i, fascinated by the volcanoes. Don't want to be one of those mainland transplants who moves here then stays exactly the same-- only with a year round tan. :alien:

Lots of good info on this board!

Hello and welcome :hello2: I'm in the same boat with learning the Hawaiian language...DH loves to make fun of me and my ineptness. He's from Oklahoma with places like Muskogee and Tahlequah so doesn't seem to find it very difficult. I'm also very interested in learning more about Hawaii and hope to really dive in once we move next year. It's just not the same watching shows on tv or reading articles as being there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Menehune

Hi Honu! Our interests sound similar. It is definitely not like on TV! Especially not like Dog or 5-0. :P

Dave, so sorry, I can't help you there. DH will not eat huli huli chicken at all, and I don't like poi anything. When I said I want to learn more about Hawai'i, I was not including local food. Just not my thing.

We're maybe about 20 minutes from Hawaiian Style Cafe? We don't go out for breakfast, but I've had lunch there. BIG portions, yes. We're on a budget, so I'm afraid I won't have much to say about eating out. Except we have tried the awful food in the Village at least once in each place. It is all bad! Waimea has good options.

John, I hope I don't seem like a rat and I have no intention of attacking. I don't know about Punaweb for friendliness, but Puna is kind of out of the way for me. It seems like the lifestyle is very different. Catchment water and dirt roads, worried about home invasion. Waikoblowa is safe. Our water costs a lot, but at least it doesn't come off the roof! We don't even have rain gutters on our house.

Like I said, we looked around, including the cheap Puna property. We didn't care for the idea of catchment water or the bad roads.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:28 pm 
Kona Kastoff

There are some areas with county/private water in Puna and there are some nice areas like part of HPP and Leilani Estates too. Not to mention the cool places like the tide pools and the hot pond in Kapoho!

Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
http://www.JohnRabi.com
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I guess the shopping is pretty over there, huh Pua? I know when my second parents came to visit last they stayed over in Waikoloa and we walked around the shops. Lot's of good shopping I think? I'm not a shopper so I don't know much about all those designer brands. Funny thing though, when they invited us out to dinner they said we were going to have steak. They took us to Blazing Steaks! LOL!!! I was surprised!!! :o :o :o

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Dream Kona
Southpoint Hawaii
Da Kine Hosting
Da Kine Web Design

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:19 pm 
Menehune

Dave, your outing sounds fun. Honestly, we don't look at the shops down there and think of them as places for tourists to buy expensive items. We don't even go to Kings' Shops, too high end, except for the little fish and chips place. I'm not sure the Blazin Steaks is even open any more. Haven't heard anyone talk about it recently.

We go to Queens' Marketplace sometimes after a beach trip and hit the food court or Sansei's Early Bird.
When we came here on vacation, we ate at better restaurants and tried them out, but no more. If we want to keep living here, we can't live like vacationers. Our idea of shopping now is for groceries or home improvement! :o

Guess I need to get out of this Aloha topic and join in the rest of the board. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
...Our idea of shopping now is for groceries or home improvement! :o

Guess I need to get out of this Aloha topic and join in the rest of the board. :)

Yeah, seems like I am getting to really enjoy going to Lowes, Home Depot, Ace hardware and City Mill. I even shop for the best prices when I am making a large purchase. I just wish there was a City Mill and Lowes a lot closer to me. Ace and Home Depot is close and Lowes is a 15 minute drive. But City Mill is 30 minutes. Downtown has Lowes, Home Depot and City Mill within a minute or two walk of each other. Too bad they are not that close where I live. Never thought I'd get a kick outta shopping for a tool or wood for a project. I even do most of the grocery shopping as long it is at Costco! 8) 8) 8)

Go ahead and start a new thread in the General Chit Chat area.

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Dream Kona
Southpoint Hawaii
Da Kine Hosting
Da Kine Web Design

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am 
Menehune

Aloha Pua,

Welcome! We also have recently started the transition to being residents of the Big Island. We still have downsizing (meaning getting rid of stuff :lol: ) and fixing up our Cali house to sell before becoming full time HI residents. We recently spent 3 weeks in our newly acquired house in Kailua-Kona. I think we visited at least one of the home improvement stores most every day – and our place was not particularly in need of an overhaul.
It is a fun experience learning about the island as a local and not the rushed pace that a tourist typically sees everything.

Have you gone to any of the local farmers markets? I find their produce to be far better than at any store. When you factor in the freshness which makes the taste superior and allows you to keep them far longer than store-bought, they are a great choice. I also like the selection and variety of the different fruits and veggies.

Lilikoi......dragon fruit......huge avocados......fresh lettuces......wonderful sweet corn......different types of bananas......YUM!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:14 pm 
Malihini

Hey, Dave, don't get too used to that 15 minute drive to Lowes. When you move back over to your house in Ocean View, it's over an hour to Lowes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:40 pm 
Menehune

aloha marybeth,
yay for you spending time at your new house.
I love the farmers' markets, but we don't have much up here. I think the produce in our stores is pretty good. Foodland and WVM both.
I've never had dragon's fruit. What's it like?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:25 pm 
Da Kine

There are a couple of good farmers markets in Waimea, Wed. and Sat. I think. Dragonfruit is delicious, looks like pale white kiwi with tiny black seeds. Tastes like kiwi and strawberry and banana and probably a couple of other fruits all in one. We like them really ripe and just eat it with a spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Babette wrote:
Hey, Dave, don't get too used to that 15 minute drive to Lowes. When you move back over to your house in Ocean View, it's over an hour to Lowes!

Thanks for the reminder Babette!!! I think? :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

I'm not worried tho. All I have to do is tell my wife I want to drive in to Lowes in Kona for a screw and she's right there with me! :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: Huh, that didn't come out right. She usually asks me why I want a screw in Kona? And I tell her so I can get an extra big weiner and some coke at Costco for only a $1.50. Huh, that didn't come out right either. Anyway, then she asks me why I would want an extra big weiner? So I tell her I can put it in my mouth and savor it. Wow, I'm not doing to good here, am I? And the she asks me why I want some coke and I told her I like the rush I get from it.......

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Dream Kona
Southpoint Hawaii
Da Kine Hosting
Da Kine Web Design

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 pm 
Menehune

Yes, dragon fruit are either yellow (small and sweeter) or red (bigger and still sweet, just not quite as much as the yellow variety) with a white flesh and little black edible seeds (think like you eat strawberry seeds). They taste sweet and fruity – kind of like the other fruits that Joyce mentioned. Their texture is a lot like kiwi. But they still taste like dragon fruit to me, unique! They were in season through last week so I hope you find a place to buy some. You cut them down the middle and can scoop out the edible middle with a spoon.

I also seem to remember a farmers market in Waimea on Saturday mornings. You’ll have to look in local papers or maybe as your neighbours about where/when the best ones are.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next