It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Planning Next Year's Vacation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 am 
Malihini

We went on our cruise and absolutely loved it. We spoiled ourselves and have set the bar quite high for future cruises. We were on a new ship (NCL Escape), we had a balcony room, and unlimited beverages. A true vacation indeed - no cooking or cleaning. The weather in the Carribean was perfect, we had an amazing time and can't wait to do it again.

But I did miss my Hawaii, so I'm already starting to plan next year's trip. We booked our time share at Paniolo Greens for the middle of June. We usually stay an extra couple days in Kona at Kona Reef (we like being right on the water).

That being said, I was looking on VRBO and found a nice-looking condo at Bali Kona Kai. I know it's further south than Kona Reef and we probably can't walk into town. Has anyone ever stayed there? Any opinions good or bad about the complex?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Post subject: Re: Planning Next Year's Vacation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:19 pm 
Malihini

We stayed there once, but moved out after a few days. The mauka side units have no breeze, and the units in the ocean front building have their bedrooms on the Alii Drive side. Very noisy. We didn't like the pool being in the middle of the building, totally enclosed, either. Kona Reef is much nicer IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:47 pm 
Malihini

Thanks for your input. I have to say that one of the many reasons I like Kona Reef is the location of the pool - can't get a better view.
This is the unit we're looking at. I was attracted by the large balcony and the master bedroom having an ocean view.

https://www.vrbo.com/814063

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:04 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Paniolo Club wrote:
We stayed there once, but moved out after a few days. The mauka side units have no breeze, and the units in the ocean front building have their bedrooms on the Alii Drive side. Very noisy. We didn't like the pool being in the middle of the building, totally enclosed, either. Kona Reef is much nicer IMHO.
I would also add the issue of that surf spot between the Kona Bali Kai and the Banyan condos. It's a well known drug heaven!

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:33 am 
Malihini

I stayed there years ago. If you don't mind the pool location and have an ocean front room it is probably fine. The unit you posted definitely looks better than most of them there. But as mentioned the pool location is terrible. It sits next to the parking garage and if someone backs into their stall you get your daily limit of carbon monoxide for the day very quickly. I would much rather stay at Kona Reef or even Hale Kona Kai which is right next to the Reef. As you also mentioned, Bali Kai is not really easily within walking distance to town, probably 1.5 to 2 miles further south than the Kona Reef. As you are probably aware, Kona Reef has both ocean view and non ocean view units so make sure you make the right comparison from a price perspective. If you do like to partake in the all you can drink concept and decide to stay at Bali Kai, cabs are pretty reasonable in Kona. There are DUI check points set up regularly and nothing ruins a vacation like a DUI.

Todd

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]