It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kona Condo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 pm 
Malihini

I'm trying to find a 2-bdrm condo for 3 nights that's within walking distance of town. Having problems finding something at Kona Reef. We want an ocean front unit. Any suggestions? We found a place at Kona Reef, but when I inquired about it, it was no longer available, but the rental property was more than ready to offer me something at Sea Village. Anyone have an experience with Sea Village? Is it close to town?

Post subject: Re: Kona Condo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 pm 
Malihini

Sea Village isn't bad. As I recall the units are a little smaller and none of them are airconditioned. Depending on the unit it should work.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Sea Village is 1.5 miles from town, I live right across of it. Call Shirley Kaniho at 808.9601215 and tell her I gave you the number. She will help you.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 pm 
Malihini

Thanks. And thanks for the phone number, John. I don't know what's going on with VRBO. I used them a few years ago with no problem (owner contacted me and we confirmed). Now I can't seem to get a response from any owner and the only response I got was from Kona Coast Vacations telling me that both of their 2-bdrm units are unavailable even though they say available on the website. I think we'll end up at Sea Village. It looks like a nice place.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:35 pm 
Da Kine

Have you tried AirBnB.com? We used them over Christmas to rent an apartment in Paris. Worked out real well. For the place we rented, there was an agent who acted as an intermediary for a couple of dozen owners - plus, AirBnB holds the money until 24 hours after your arrival in case there is a problem.

We found them after a write up in the NY Times - and then we had problems similar to what you describe with VRBO. We have used VRBO many times in the past without an problems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Kekepania wrote:
Thanks. And thanks for the phone number, John. I don't know what's going on with VRBO. I used them a few years ago with no problem (owner contacted me and we confirmed). Now I can't seem to get a response from any owner and the only response I got was from Kona Coast Vacations telling me that both of their 2-bdrm units are unavailable even though they say available on the website. I think we'll end up at Sea Village. It looks like a nice place.
I heard lots of nightmare stories about VRBO from clients, but I don't have personal experience. Sea Village is part of time share (Vacation Internationale) and as such it is a nicely kept complex. I have friends who own a place there.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Kekepania wrote:
I'm trying to find a 2-bdrm condo for 3 nights that's within walking distance of town. Having problems finding something at Kona Reef. We want an ocean front unit. Any suggestions? We found a place at Kona Reef, but when I inquired about it, it was no longer available, but the rental property was more than ready to offer me something at Sea Village. Anyone have an experience with Sea Village? Is it close to town?

Hey Steph,

When are you going to be in town?

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 pm 
Malihini

We will be arriving June 2 and staying at Paniolo Greens for one week. We're still trying to find a place for the last 3 nights (6/9-6/12). It looks like we have decided on Sea Village.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 pm 
Malihini

Air BnB can be kind of weird. We found a place for a great price in Kailua on Oahu. It was a room in a house about a block from the beach (great location). The bathroom was down the hall and the room opened up to the hallway and living room. Glad that I brought a robe!

The owners were nice people, but it was a bit strange sharing their living room/dining room/kitchen with them. The wife seemed to be irritated that people were in her house. She actually told us that we had to be gone for a couple of hours because she was having a luncheon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm 
Da Kine

That's the thing about AirBnB - you can actually rent the couch!

I just look for the complete apartments. There is a "button" you can check on the side to make sure you get the kind of place you want.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 pm 
Malihini

OK, so I got a call last week (Thursday) from an owner at Kona Reef (A1). I was at work, so she left a message. She said that her condo is available for the days we want and that she has a special summer rate (the rate on VRBO is $175 a night). I called her back and left a message saying we are interested, but I still haven't heard back from her. Is this normal for VRBO rentals? It's such a great deal, I'd hate to book something else and then end up losing out on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Malihini

I don't think there's any "normal" for VRBO since the properties are all owned by individual people. The owners can (and have) make any side deal they want. When I was a VRBO landlord, we actually had people calling us to make a deal. Our last renters work for Alaska Airlines, and they traded a week's rent for six buddy passes. We ended up saving tons of money on our flights to the mainland!

I hate to give this advice, but you could make a reservation somewhere else and then cancel if the better one comes through. Just make sure to carefully read any cancellation policies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 am 
Malihini

Yikes! Check out the latest review. Scrolling through them, I see that there are definitely a mixed bag of reviews for this place. Still haven't heard back from her, so I can understand the reviewers frustration.

http://www.vrbo.com/151288

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:06 pm 
Menehune

You really should check out our place in the RSC. We have a low season special of each 7th night free which brings the nightly rate down to $143. Also, check out the comments of our prior guests. We're quite proud of them!!
Art

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Malihini

RSC?
Also, we only need a place for 3 nights.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next