It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: cute place to stay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 pm 
Kama

Hello I am going to Kona in December, and in your opinion where are the best places to stay? I like being close to the sandy beaches, sunsets :bom: and shopping. I love places that are friendly and clean but not necessarily fancy. Not sure if we will rent a car, just want to get away and lay in the sun and walk along the beaches. thanks for any info, I searched for other similar inquiries but the posts were old and wanted an updated version. thanks again, Cheryl

Post subject: Re: cute place to stay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Aloha Cheryl and welcome to the forum!

My wife and I like both the King Kam and the Royal Kona Resort. Both are clean and the Royal Kona usually needs some updating. But both are close enough to be able to walk around town. I suggest you get a car anyway as you will need it. We have stayed in both places and them to be reasonably priced as well. I am sure others will give their opinions as well.

When you get back let us know how you liked it and share some pics with us!

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:50 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I agree with Dave, though I don't recommend the Royal "Dump" (Kona) Resort, the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Resort is much much nicer, it was just totally redone to be a Marriott starting November, and it has a small beach right in front of the hotel. You will pay more for taxi from and to the airport than a one week car rental on Priceline, so get a car. It's worth it, there is lots to see on this island and you eventually will get bored at the hotel.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:40 pm 
Malihini

Which is more important to you, sandy beaches or shopping? If you want a hotel/resort on a sandy beach, you can check the Waikoloa area - they have 2 shopping areas. Kona is mostly shopping and restaurants, but not a lot of beaches within walking distance. Both locations have their positive points. I also recommend getting a car. We tried to go for 4 days without a car once. We stayed in Kona (within walking distance of everything), but it wasn't fun dragging our groceries back to the condo. We ended up renting a car for one day and it was nice to be able to drive around to our favorite out-of-the-way spots.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 am 
Da Kine

I like staying in the Waikoloa area also. I've stayed at the Marriott there, and they have an extremely kid friendly pool - with a sand beach. Plus, they have a nice front on the ocean. It's within walking distance of the Hilton, which is great to walk through. It has a small zoo, really cool fish pond and of course the dolphins. There are also a lot of condos for rent in the area. If you stayed near the Kings/Queens shops, it's probably the one area you could go without a car - but I'm guessing the trip to the airport and back would be a killer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 pm 
Malihini

Regardless of where you stay, definitely get a car. My preference is to stay in town. The resorts are nice and some of them have nice beaches, but I'm not much of a resort person. My preference is to stay in a condo. I actually own a unit at Kona By The Sea, so I am obviously a little biased towards there. If you want to go that way let me know and I can get you 10% off the lowest Internet rate. I'm not a huge fan of King Kam, even after the remodel. I prefer The Royal Kona Resort if you are wanting to stay in a hotel. Very close to town is also the Kona Reef and next to it is Hale Kona Kai. Both of those are Condos. Both of them also vary a lot unit to unit so you may get a pristine room or you may get a dump. If you are looking for economy lodging there is the Sea Side. Definitely not at all fancy. It is probably as close to a Motel Six as you can find on the Big Island. But it is probably the cheapest place you'll find that is not filthy and the location is not bad.

Most of the nice bigger beaches are up north by the resorts. It is a 20-40 minute drive to get to them. There are a few beaches which are nice on Alii Drive. Magic Sands is about 5 minutes south of town. There is the small beach in front of the king Kam.

Todd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:41 pm 
Malihini

Since I'm somewhat of a dirtbag, I'll put in a plug for Uncle Billys. I was somehow under the impression that they were out of business, but one of the guys at work spent a night in Kona there last week and gave me an update. The complimentary continental breakfast starts at 5:00, but don't drink the early coffee. Something is clearly wrong with it. The 6:00 coffee is much better. There are still bugs in the rooms, but only the small kind. After dark, there are at least two or three security guys that hide in the bushes. The rate , including secure (?) parking was about $85/night.

Have fun! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 pm 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
Since I'm somewhat of a dirtbag, I'll put in a plug for Uncle Billys. I was somehow under the impression that they were out of business, but one of the guys at work spent a night in Kona there last week and gave me an update. The complimentary continental breakfast starts at 5:00, but don't drink the early coffee. Something is clearly wrong with it. The 6:00 coffee is much better. There are still bugs in the rooms, but only the small kind. After dark, there are at least two or three security guys that hide in the bushes. The rate , including secure (?) parking was about $85/night. Have fun! :)
Complimentary breakfast?! Where do they serve it? Their restaurant has been closed for years!

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:25 pm 
Malihini

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
)
Complimentary breakfast?! Where do they serve it? Their restaurant has been closed for years!

John, this it top secret information. If they told you where they served it, they'd have to kill you, f the breakfast didn't.

Todd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 am 
Kona Kastoff

Todd wrote:
John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
)
John, this it top secret information. If they told you where they served it, they'd have to kill you, f the breakfast didn't.
You heard of the "Freedom of Information Act," right? :wink: :wink: :wink:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:53 pm 
Malihini

The restaurant is still closed. John, I hope you didn't get too excited thinking it may have re opened.
The continental breakfast is served in the lanai by the pool.
I'm not going to kill John, but no guarantee on the Billy breakfast. :)

Aloha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:01 pm 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
The restaurant is still closed. John, I hope you didn't get too excited thinking it may have re opened. The continental breakfast is served in the lanai by the pool. I'm not going to kill John, but no guarantee on the Billy breakfast. :) Aloha
You couldn't pay me to stay at Uncle Billy's, and you certainly couldn't pay me to eat there even if the restaurant were open! :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:16 pm 
Da Kine

The neighborhood I grew up in is on the list of the 25 worst neighborhoods in the country.

I drove by Uncle Billy's once. I was afraid. Very afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 pm 
Malihini

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
The restaurant is still closed. John, I hope you didn't get too excited thinking it may have re opened. The continental breakfast is served in the lanai by the pool. I'm not going to kill John, but no guarantee on the Billy breakfast. :) Aloha
You couldn't pay me to stay at Uncle Billy's, and you certainly couldn't pay me to eat there even if the restaurant were open! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't actually stayed there myself, this info was from a trusted co worker.
I've stayed in some REALLY bad motels in my hard working days. I'm determined to give Uncle Billy"s a shot next time we overnight in the big city. Looks like a good value to me! :)

Aloha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am 
Keiki

Cheryl,

Not sure of your price range but try Craigs List for condos at the Mauna Lani, there were several @ $150 night 3 bedrooms and they are NICE! Also the perk is that you get a card key to the Club Beach which has some of the best snorkeling on the island, resturaunt and cabanas. If you cant stay at the hotel itself this is the cheaper way to experience a five star hotel property. There is shopping, grocery and eateries at The Shops of Mauna Lani.

My wife and I have been going there for 10 years. PM if you need specific.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next