It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: hilton grand vacations - waikoloa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 am 
Menehune

hello and aloha!

does anyone have any experience with the hilton waikola time share program?

meaning, how hard to they push to get you to purchase a time share?

we have until june/july of 2017 to visit and use our 6 night / 7 day getaway and will have to sit through a presentation.

joel

Post subject: Re: hilton grand vacations - waikoloa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

JAvendan wrote:
hello and aloha!

does anyone have any experience with the hilton waikola time share program?

meaning, how hard to they push to get you to purchase a time share?

we have until june/july of 2017 to visit and use our 6 night / 7 day getaway and will have to sit through a presentation.

joel

I can't speak to this particular time share sales program. But I know in the past when I was much younger i had to literally get up and walk out on the sales person because he was going to far with the pushing. Of course when one does that they forfeit the prize.

My guess is that they push hard because it is their job to convince you to sign on the bottom line and get stuck with a timeshare for the rest of your life. Maybe if you go in dressed like paupers and act like you barely have two stick to rub together for heat they might just leave you alone. Of course you could always bring 5 of your best friends all armed with baseball bats..... :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:13 am 
Menehune

Kona Dave wrote:
I can't speak to this particular time share sales program. But I know in the past when I was much younger i had to literally get up and walk out on the sales person because he was going to far with the pushing. Of course when one does that they forfeit the prize.

My guess is that they push hard because it is their job to convince you to sign on the bottom line and get stuck with a timeshare for the rest of your life. Maybe if you go in dressed like paupers and act like you barely have two stick to rub together for heat they might just leave you alone. Of course you could always bring 5 of your best friends all armed with baseball bats..... :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

thanks for the reply, dave!

yeah, i'm preparing myself now for the hard sell - LOL.

i'll tell them that our arms are tired from flying in and i should save up next time and use an airplane :)

joel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:00 pm 
Menehune

Swimming is more believable, and it's a long swim to get here! :lol: Buying a time share is a bad investment, so don't fall for the honey-coated promises.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 am 
Menehune

Frank Moderbacher wrote:
Swimming is more believable, and it's a long swim to get here! :lol: Buying a time share is a bad investment, so don't fall for the honey-coated promises.

yes, my parents bought into a time share years ago.

then my dad's health went sideways and they were never able to use it.

it was just before my dad passed away that my mom was able to get the 'company' to take it back...

she wasn't happy that she just 'gave' it back but she really wanted to get away from the maintenance fees.

well, if everything works out we'll be visiting the BI for the first time in june/july 2017!

we just returned from maui a few weeks ago.

aloha nui!

joel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 am 
Site Admin

JAvendan wrote:
Frank Moderbacher wrote:

yes, my parents bought into a time share years ago.

then my dad's health went sideways and they were never able to use it.

it was just before my dad passed away that my mom was able to get the 'company' to take it back...

she wasn't happy that she just 'gave' it back but she really wanted to get away from the maintenance fees.

well, if everything works out we'll be visiting the BI for the first time in june/july 2017!

we just returned from maui a few weeks ago.

aloha nui!

joel

My second set of parents (next door neighbors when I was growing up) are still alive and they have one of those timeshares that they cannot sell. And something in them refuses to just give it back so they continue to pay the maintenance fees. Have fun on your trip over here. Let us know how hard the salesman pushed you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:36 am 
Menehune

Kona Dave wrote:
JAvendan wrote:
[
My second set of parents (next door neighbors when I was growing up) are still alive and they have one of those timeshares that they cannot sell. And something in them refuses to just give it back so they continue to pay the maintenance fees. Have fun on your trip over here. Let us know how hard the salesman pushed you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i will!

i'm reading about people with the experiences with time share presentations...

i like the banter between visitors and those that sell time shares, very entertaining!

personally, we've been to two presentations over the last 15 years and we didn't have the means but right now it just doesn't make sense as we really don't travel that much.

i hope your neighbors can get past the idea of giving the time share away but look at it like stop paying for maintenance costs that they don't use... but that money into a better investment - themselves!

joel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:55 pm 
Da Kine

Perhaps you can borrow someone's cranky child for the presentation?

We are timeshare owners (bought on the Big Island in 1999). We suffered through 2 timeshare presentations since then (to get whatever deal they were offering at the time) and that was enough for us. Now whenever we vacation at our timeshare, we ignore the phone calls from "guest relations."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:23 am 
Kama'aina

You guys want aggressive, you need to visit Mexico. We were PV about 10 years ago. Down the street from the hotel, you couldn't walk in front of the timeshare they were building - the guys would stop you and refuse to let you pass. We'd cross the street and they'd still run after us.

Another time, we went into a tequila distillery did the taste thing. Wanted to buy a couple of bottles after. The guy wouldn't sell them to us, but would GIVE them to us if we visited the companies timeshare. Seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:59 am 
Menehune

Kekepania wrote:
Perhaps you can borrow someone's cranky child for the presentation?

We are timeshare owners (bought on the Big Island in 1999). We suffered through 2 timeshare presentations since then (to get whatever deal they were offering at the time) and that was enough for us. Now whenever we vacation at our timeshare, we ignore the phone calls from "guest relations."

LOL.

i think my wife will be cranky enough!

joel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:00 am 
Menehune

New Daddy wrote:
You guys want aggressive, you need to visit Mexico. We were PV about 10 years ago. Down the street from the hotel, you couldn't walk in front of the timeshare they were building - the guys would stop you and refuse to let you pass. We'd cross the street and they'd still run after us.

Another time, we went into a tequila distillery did the taste thing. Wanted to buy a couple of bottles after. The guy wouldn't sell them to us, but would GIVE them to us if we visited the companies timeshare. Seriously.

that's crazy!

i wouldn't be happy about being chased.

but, i guess if you need money to feed your family and selling a time share is what it takes, then do whatcha gotta do!

just don't chase me.

joel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:17 am 
Site Admin

I just talked to my sister (daughter of my second set of parents) and they recently received a letter from the company that owns/runs the time share they bought 30 or so years ago. It turns out so many people died and just left the timeshares in a state of flux cuz no one was paying the maintenance fees. The recipients of the estates were not bound to pay the maintenance fees after the estate closes. And the company would not take the timeshares back and they could not be sold. I guess the units have become so run down the company decided to take back the timeshares for no fee. So my parents gave it back and no longer have to pay the maintenance and whatever other fees.

I can't figure how that timeshare contract was legal in the first place? My parents could not sell it. They could not give it back. And could not stop paying the monthly and yearly fees. I personally think that is illegal. And basically had to keep it until death or bankruptcy. But what do I know?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:17 am 
Menehune

I think there are two different kind of time shares. One is when you own a 1/52 share of an actual property, it's deeded, and you can use it for a week. The other is when you own points in a "vacation club" and can exchange it for a week use, but you don't own an actual property. The Sunday paper is full of time share foreclosures. Those developers make out like bandits!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:25 pm 
Kama'aina

Kona Dave wrote:
I just talked to my sister (daughter of my second set of parents) and they recently received a letter from the company that owns/runs the time share they bought 30 or so years ago. It turns out so many people died and just left the timeshares in a state of flux cuz no one was paying the maintenance fees. The recipients of the estates were not bound to pay the maintenance fees after the estate closes. And the company would not take the timeshares back and they could not be sold. I guess the units have become so run down the company decided to take back the timeshares for no fee. So my parents gave it back and no longer have to pay the maintenance and whatever other fees.

I can't figure how that timeshare contract was legal in the first place? My parents could not sell it. They could not give it back. And could not stop paying the monthly and yearly fees. I personally think that is illegal. And basically had to keep it until death or bankruptcy. But what do I know?

I'm not an attorney, but I play one one Internet. My sound legal advice is to call an attorney

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:41 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Frank Moderbacher wrote:
I think there are two different kind of time shares. One is when you own a 1/52 share of an actual property, it's deeded, and you can use it for a week. The other is when you own points in a "vacation club" and can exchange it for a week use, but you don't own an actual property. The Sunday paper is full of time share foreclosures. Those developers make out like bandits!
I was an executive at a time share company in a non-real estate position back in the early '90s, before I got into real estate. The deeded time share actually was a 1/51th share, the developer held one week for maintenance purposes. Most people bought the time share on a loan, with a small down payment, and the developer sold the loan right away. Yes, the developers made out like bandits, since the defaulting owners did not affect the developers, who bought back the units from the loan company at a discount, and sold them again! Vicious circle! All these changed with the introduction of the vacation club point system.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]