It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: House Rentals?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:59 pm 
Keiki

I'm one of those crazy people like Dave who have moved to one of the areas with abandoned cars, people who build unpermitted residences and so forth. Frankly I find it quite a nice area to live, although we opted for a forest setting rather than the ocean view you get in HOVE. The best advice I can give you is to start by looking around on google maps or google earth and checking out street view. Also check craigslist to get an idea of what's available for rent, who allows pets and cross reference between street view and craigslist for a better idea of the neighborhood. You'll hear horror stories from people about some neighborhoods, but often they have never even lived there. The neighborhood around our house has a bad reputation amongst many on the island, but almost everyone who lives here enjoys it. It's also wet. You get 160" of rain a year. However, it's mostly a few big rain storms a year and other than that you get a shower or two every day with sun and cloudy periods in between with nice 75 degree weather almost year round.

Now, if you are serioud about the low rain fall, there are many options on the Island. From Ka'u, through South and North Kona and up through Waikoloa and up most of the coastal areas of Kohala are all low rainfall. The beauty of this Island is it's incredible diversity all within a few hours drive of each other. For the money you say you can afford to pay, you should be able to find some very nice places wherever you decide is best for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 pm 
Malihini

Discovery Harbour gets pretty steady tradewinds, so usually the vog gets blown right by us. I've never been affected, or even noticed it, but some people in my neighborhood who are very sensitive or have asthma do notice it when it is particularly bad. Then they just stay inside for a day or two. Our lots are 1/3 acre, and the adjacent subdivision, Mark Twain, has 1/2 acre lots. We get enough rain to have a decent garden.

Dave and I both like the rural and "old Hawaii" feel of Ka'u. Some people don't. Yes, there are people, especially in HOVE, with alternative lifestyles, but for the most part if you leave them alone they are harmless. If we want to go shopping for more than just the basics, then it is an hour and half to either Kona or Hilo. We go every couple of weeks, mainly to stock up at Costco. Our doctors (Kaiser) and dentist are in Kona, too, although some people go to the local clinic in town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:01 pm 
Keiki

What about the Mark Twain Estates? They look pretty good via google maps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
Malihini

DanielleJoy wrote:
What about the Mark Twain Estates? They look pretty good via google maps.
Forget Google maps and come here to check it out. That's a really crappy neighborhood. You would be much better off in the subdivision next to it, Discovery Harbour, where Babette lives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Lots of people get fooled by the "Estates" in subdivision names here. The truth is that most of them are far from being "estates" and Mark Twain is no different. The streets are unpaved, most lots have no electricity connection, and many have no country water either. As a licensed real estate person I can't call any subdivision "crappy" but you can add Mark Twain Estates to the list of subdivisions where I wouldn't live even if you paid me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:50 pm 
Malihini

The streets in Mark Twain are not only unpaved, some are barely wider than a country lane. The Fire Department won't take their trucks on some of the streets because there is so much vegetation encroaching on the roads. That being said, some of the areas closer to the main roads have very nice homes. Those areas have electricity and county water. The people who live further back in away from the main roads like it to be overgrown so that they can do their own thing (legal or not).

The nice thing about Mark Twain is that all of the properties have good ocean views.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 am 
Keiki

I would definitely leave the cats until you are sure this is where you want to live. As a renter seeking a home, having one cat is a tough sell, but three cats will almost certainly exclude you from 95% of the decent rentals out there. As you may know, feral and abandoned cats are a real problem here, so there is not a lot of sympathy for cats or their owners. Also, have you considered the stress this move will place on your animals? And what if you decide to move back to the mainland? Do you really think it is fair to put them through the shots, cages, quarantine, airplane cargo holds, etc., just because YOU couldn't imagine being without them? I know people who have moved with animals that died from the stress of the whole ordeal.

Furthermore, if you want to move to Hawaii, you need to be a lot more flexible with your wish list/expectations. I moved here four years ago, expecting to live in the Hilo/Puna area, but then I actually went to Hilo, drove around HPP and checked out Pahoa. I ended up choosing Waimea I love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else on island. That being said, I have lived in three different rental properties since moving here, and I still haven't found the "perfect" place for me, particularly in terms of value for money. Pre-planning your experience here will undoubtedly lead to major disappointment. If you need that much control over your life, this may not be the place for you. You are rather limited here to what is available, and often that may not be exactly what you want. Life here is on "Hawaii time." People here "go with the flow," and the prevailing attitude is "whatever."

Internet research is pointless, in my opinion. None of the research I did before moving here ended up being very useful or even all that accurate. People who stand to make money from new arrivals like yourself will never tell you about the negatives of life here. Ultimately, whether you find your experience living here positive or negative is largely up to you, but I think being flexible and open significantly increases the likelihood of being happy here.

I have lived in several countries and moved quite a bit in my life. In my experience, it takes a couple of years to really get to know a place and find out if it is right for you. Internet research and other people's opinions (including mine) should be taken with a massive grain of salt. Paradise is a state of mind. Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You're less likely to be disappointed.

FWIW,
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am 
Keiki

Would you leave your kids behind if you moved? No. These are our kids to us. There is absolutely no way I would ever consider moving without them. We are already almost done with the vaccines. They are getting their blood drawn at the end of the month and then they'll be ready to go when October rolls around. Our cats will not die from a 6 hour flight. We are doing all of this BEFORE flying over so they will not have to be held up in quarantine. Plus we are working with a Hawaii based pet relocation expert to make sure everything is done perfectly. I always have what is best for my cats in mind. They are my babies and I would do anything for them. You really do not know me or you would not say such things.

We have decided after visiting Maui last month that we will be moving there. We will be visiting once more to nail down a rental in last August/early September.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
Malihini

I think Ex makes some good points.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:08 am 
Malihini

When I move to the Big Island I absolutely plan to leave my kids behind. :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 am 
Kona Kastoff

Time4Family wrote:
When I move to the Big Island I absolutely plan to leave my kids behind. :D :D
I left my kids all over the world, but my cat lives with me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

I understand how you feel about your cats. But we were too afraid to bring over our older cats from the mainland. We waited until they passed before we decided to move to the BI from the mainland. We didn't get any more after they passed because of the exact thing that EX was saying. I heard of too many pets dying in transit in the luggage compartment for one reason or another. Fortunately, when we moved from the BI to Oahu we were able to bring our cat with us on the plane in a special flat type carrier approved for going underneath our seat. She was scared we knew she would be safe since she was with us in the cabin and not in the luggage compartment.

Just for the fun of it I just did a search on Craigslist for 3 bedroom Maui homes that accept cats from $0 to $2500 a month. There are exactly 4 homes that have been offered on the entire island since March 31. And nothing before March 31 showed up. Of those 4 homes one of them is only available for a few months. Kind of slim pickings if you ask me. I wonder how many people are vying for these 3 properties? While this may not be every home available at the time they were advertised, considering the free advertising and how things are here in Hawaii I would think this may be most of the homes that have been available for more than a few days. The rest are probably rented before they need to be advertised. The trick will be trying to find an agency with a rental coming up. In the meantime, how many of these are in decent neighborhoods? Or how many of these 3 would be acceptable to you? One of the ads didn't even have pictures and another looked like it had not been remodeled since the 80's. It is not an impossible task. But it looks like it may be a pretty hard search for you to find something acceptable and in your price range and away from traffic. BTW, I don't necessarily recommend Craigslist for finding a rental due to all the scam artists out there. I just used them as an example of what is available out there recently.

I wish you luck in your search, though. And I hope your kitties make the trip without complications.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 pm 
Malihini

Please keep enough $ in reserve to move back to the mainland if things don't work out. There are far too many people living under blue tarps who didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:41 am 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
Please keep enough $ in reserve to move back to the mainland if things don't work out. There are far too many people living under blue tarps who didn't.

What about the ones who are living under the green tarps? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am 
Malihini

If your tarp is green you get grants and subsidies.

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next