It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: House Rentals?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:03 pm 
Keiki

Hi there,

My husband and I (and our three indoor kitties) are looking at renting a house for 6 months-1 year before buying on the BI. We are self sufficient when it comes to our jobs (I own my own jewelry business and he helps with the logistics of it) so we can pretty much live anywhere. We want some room and (I know everyone says this) a view of the ocean. At least 3 bedrooms since I will need space to store supplies and for an office. I am beginning the research on the BI locations but I'd love to get some recommendations straight from the source(s). :lol: We are planning on coming to the BI in a couple months and staying for a few weeks to scope out some areas we may like. Any recommendations would be appreciated :) Thank you SO much!

P.S. My intro is in the intro thread :mrgreen: SUPER excited to be here!

Post subject: Re: House Rentals?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

You don't mention your budget so it would be quite difficult to make some suggestions. Finding a rental that accepts pets is also next to impossible so you may want to leave your fur babies with someone while you live here.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 pm 
Keiki

Oh we would never leave our kitties; they are a part of our family!

Our budget for rent would be up to $2,500 a month.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Just don't make the mistake of coming here with your babies thinking you'll find a place that accepts them. I get at least an email or two a month begging me to help them find a place that will accept them and their pet (usually a small dog or cat). I know it sounds kinda weird, but people do it more often than you might think. I hate to think of those babies that were put into a shelter or someone having to move back to the mainland or become homeless just because they couldn't find a place for their pets.

I am not saying you would do this but there are people reading this that will still do it. I am trying to help those who have pets to not lose them or become homeless because they don't want to leave their pet.

You have a good idea to live here for 6 months. I hope that you find a place for you and your kitties before you move.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:12 pm 
Malihini

Do you care how remote you are, or would you rather be closer to Kona or Hilo?

I love my little part of the island down near South Point, but it is really isolated. An hour and a half to either Kona or Hilo, although we do have grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, etc. close by. Just VERY rural. I'm sure that you would be able to find a rental in your price range, and probably less, in my subdivision of Discovery Harbour. Personally I wouldn't want the nearby area of Ocean View, and one thing that makes DH special is that we have county water versus rainwater catchment.

Don't ever, ever, ever rent anything sight unseen in Hawaii (unless it is a short-term vacation rental). You need to make sure that the person showing the property is legit, and you need to check out the neighborhood. I agree with David about the difficulty of finding a rental with pets. You might start looking at Craigslist just to see what's being advertised.

Are you aware of the laws regarding animals? You must go through a lengthy and costly process to be able to bring your cats into the state, so you should get started now. Find a vet who is knowledgeable about what is needed. Here is a link to more information http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-qu ... tion-page/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 pm 
Keiki

Thanks Dave, I will definitely line up somewhere to live before moving. I am a planner so it will all have to be lined up before making the move, for sure!

Babette, we actually are okay with being in a remote area since we both work from home. We would like some acreage too so it probably be ideal for us to live outside the main towns. I will definitely take your advice and make sure to see the rental before committing to anything. That's a good point.

Regarding our kitties, yep, that is the first thing I researched :) I found AkonaPets online. They take care of all the paperwork and make sure everything is straight before flying into Hawaii. There is a 120 day wait period that you need to wait after your animal has the rabies shot (quarantine) before bringing them to Hawaii. Otherwise, they have to be quarantined on island and that can be quite spendy. It is about $350 an animal to bring them over, not including the actual vaccinations. And you need 6 months lead time to get it all done and ready to go. Thankfully, we don't plan on moving for at least 9 or so months. We will definitely be starting the vaccination process ASAP though just to make sure its taken care of.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm 
Keiki

Is there a problem with VOG down south where you live (Discovery Harbour) Babette?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 am 
Kona Kastoff

DanielleJoy wrote:
Oh we would never leave our kitties; they are a part of our family! Our budget for rent would be up to $2,500 a month.
I don't think you will have problem finding a rural rental that accepts pets in that price range! Heck, the landlord probably will install a catwalk for you too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS. Take into your planning the one month security deposit and the the pet deposit you have to pay upfront in addition to the first month rent.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 am 
Keiki

Thanks John! :lol: In your opinion, what's the best rural area to live if we dont want a lot of rain and would like a little ocean view? And clean air? Thanks for any advice you can give!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 am 
Malihini

I disagree with John, you will have trouble finding acreage in your budget in a good area. In Puna or Kau it would be no problem, but do you really want to live there? I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 am 
Keiki

I guess it depends on your idea of a good area… I think I've seen that everyone's opinions vary drastically on where people like to live. But of course, we don't want to be in an unsafe area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:11 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Paniolo Club wrote:
I disagree with John, you will have trouble finding acreage in your budget in a good area. In Puna or Kau it would be no problem, but do you really want to live there? I wouldn't.
I missed the "acreage" in the posting. There are not too many subdivisions (we call everything a subdivision here) like that in Kona. There are a few like Keopu Hights, Keopu Mauka, Hualalai Farms, Estates at Holualoa, etc., in Holualoa; there are two above the airport, Makalei Estates and Kaloko Mauka; but there is nothing from thereon until you reach South Kohala where Kohala Estates and Kohala Ranch are your choices. All these are pretty expensive areas.

As to the "good" or "bad" subdivisions, it depends on the individual. Some people don't mind living in an area where junk cars are being stored in backyards or worked on in the streets; some people don't mind living in area where fighting roosters are raised; some people don't mind living in an area where homes are so sparse that they are subject to every day property crimes, etc. It's up to Danielle to decide what she and her husband are comfortable with. I personally wouldn't live in HOVE or HOVR even if you paid me, but I know Dave has a house in HOVR. Again, it depends on the individual.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:18 pm 
Keiki

Good points John. We are not wanting to be very close to neighbors… but not too far away that we are super isolated. No junky neighbors either and definitely no druggies. We live right off of a busy street right now and the road noise drives me NUTS. I can't even have my office window open during the day because of all the noise. So we are looking for somewhere that is peaceful, a little bit of space (maybe not as much as what our house will have when we buy) - maybe a least a quarter to a half acre would be nice. One thing that my husband has to have is a 2 car garage because he works on vehicles on the side and has a lot of tools he will need to keep stored and secure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:24 pm 
Malihini

DanielleJoy wrote:
- maybe a least a quarter to a half acre would be nice.
What happened to the acreage? :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:45 pm 
Keiki

We want acreage in the house we buy but its not really necessary in the rental that we get right when we move :)

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next