It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aloha Spirit
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
Instead of quoting each reply, let me say, its never good to make assumptions.

When I said these were not the answers I was expecting, Its not an insult, its a fact, and not to be taken as an insult.

By me stating that it is hard to know what peoples intentions are, somehow, Babette and a few others took it as I was speaking of them. As I mentioned, I have been getting opinions from a LOT of sources. Friends, books, blogs, forums, family, and yes, it is hard to tell what EVERYONES agenda is.

Thanks and I am glad I can clarify that.

I'm curious to know, how those on this message board have managed to beat the terrible odds of living in Hawaii ? Also, why stay ?

Dave, if your friend was respected and had 2 sources of good income, why did he leave? It couldn't have been from loneliness or poverty ?

John, Did you live in the house that got broken into or was this an empty rental ? What types of security do people typically use ? gates, alarms ?

I am pretty sure my gun permit allows me to keep my guns when I move. From what I thought, most small crimes are against tourists and rental places that are empty and people looking to do a quick snatch and go...is this correct ?

Babette, Sorry you feel that way. Best to you.

Beat the odds? To be honest I am still fighting the odds. You have to want to really live here. Plus like I said before, you need to come here with a minimum of 6 months to a year of savings behind you. Once you get here some things will change a bit for you. Some jobs, not all, will open up to you since you are now a resident. Most places won't hire anyone directly from the mainland for obvious reasons. What I have done is to blend in. Learn the culture, the language, I can even speak some pidgin. I have been told I speak pidgin well enough that people think I am from here. I learned what to tell prospective employers to make them feel comfortable about hiring me. I learned that networking and making lots of friends and Ohana is very important here. I purposely did not bring my BMW's over here and traded them in for plain jane vehicles so I don't stand out. To some locals, you are what you drive. And there is a lot of jealousy, and a sense of entitlement when it comes to those who are better off than they are. Especially if you are a Haole. One last thing, don't try to change anything. Go with the flow. The more you fight the system and how things are here the more it will kick you in the ass. The harder you fight the system here the harder it will be for you to live here.

My friend couldn't make it financially. A good job here pays $10-$15 per hour and gives you 40 hours a week so you get health insurance. While that is considered a good job it is not enough to live here without another source (or three) of income. There are not a lot of high paying jobs on the Big Island. Even traditionally high paying jobs on the Big Island pay crap. Another friend is a Network Administrator over in Hilo. It is easily a $50k-$60k job on the mainland. Maybe more. He gets $25k a year plus insurance for himself and has to pay for his family's insurance. That same job pays $30k-$35k here on Oahu. There are probably less than 20 Network Administrators on the island. Most NA's are farmed out or come over from the corporate offices on Ohau or the mainland. What ever job you have or skill set you have may not be in demand or not exist on this island.

You MUST register your guns with the police within 3 days of moving here. Period. We are a MAY issue state and the police do NOT issue concealed weapon permits. And we don't recognize any other state's permits. So carrying a concealed or not concealed weapon is illegal here except when you are transporting the gun to the range, gun store, gunsmith, etc. If you are transporting a gun let's say from the range back to your home and you stop at a quickie mart to buy a soda you are in violation of the law. I have not been keeping up with the crime on the BI lately. But over here on Oahu it is getting bad. Plenty murders and assaults these days. I am glad I live on the other side from Waikiki/Honolulu.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Keiki

[quote="Kona Dave

Beat the odds? To be honest I am still fighting the odds. You have to want to really live here. Plus like I said before, you need to come here with a minimum of 6 months to a year of savings behind you. Once you get here some things will change a bit for you. Some jobs, not all, will open up to you since you are now a resident. Most places won't hire anyone directly from the mainland for obvious reasons. What I have done is to blend in. Learn the culture, the language, I can even speak some pidgin. I have been told I speak pidgin well enough that people think I am from here. I learned what to tell prospective employers to make them feel comfortable about hiring me. I learned that networking and making lots of friends and Ohana is very important here. I purposely did not bring my BMW's over here and traded them in for plain jane vehicles so I don't stand out. To some locals, you are what you drive. And there is a lot of jealousy, and a sense of entitlement when it comes to those who are better off than they are. Especially if you are a Haole. One last thing, don't try to change anything. Go with the flow. The more you fight the system and how things are here the more it will kick you in the ass. The harder you fight the system here the harder it will be for you to live here.

[/quote]

I will definitely be coming over with savings, and my Lexus lease runs out on the month we have our sites set on moving so I will be getting a regular old car like everyone else. I don't think I will have an issue with fitting in, and picking up Pidgin will probably be easy for me, I picked up Patois (Jamaican broken English) very fast.

How do locals pay their rent if a good job is 10-15$ an hour ?

What do you do for work on the island Dave ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
How do locals pay their rent if a good job is 10-15$ an hour ?

What do you do for work on the island Dave ?

They have two or three jobs.

While I was living on the Big Island I worked as a Quality Control Manager for a local construction materials producer in Hilo. Plus I had my computer repair business. My position paid much better than the good jobs I mentioned. If my wife had been able to find a job we would probably still be living there. We were barely making it. That is until every time an expense like insurance or car repairs would come up we had to take from our savings. So technically speaking we were not making it. It got to the point where I was going to have to take a third job or we were going to have to move back to the mainland. Here on Oahu I am a Construction Inspector and I have a side business on eBay. While on the Big Island I interviewed with the Hilo office of the company I presently work at. They were going to hire me but couldn't until the project they were awarded got started. Well, it never started so they offered me a job on Oahu and we moved and have been happy ever since. My wife started working within a month or two of us moving here. So we are making it here. But again just barely. At least I can save a little bit most every month.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm 
Keiki

Interesting. I was under the impression that it was much more expensive to live in Oahu. Housing alone seems 2-3X BI.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm 
Keiki

Holy #$%@@ I just looked at some houses on the other islands....!!!??!

Even with a job over there you wont find a house for under 400k... that's not affordable for anyone more jobs or not.

Id rather buy a house for half the price on the BI and only need to hustle up half the $$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
Interesting. I was under the impression that it was much more expensive to live in Oahu. Housing alone seems 2-3X BI.

Housing is more expensive. Some things like gas and some items are cheaper because the barges come here first and drop off. Then deliver to the BI. Higher shipping tariffs mean higher prices on the BI, generally speaking.

But jobs are much easier to come by here on Oahu. And better paying jobs are easier to come by here on Oahu. And there are many more types of jobs available here on Oahu. Like maybe financial analyst positions. So while you won't find much of a need for accountants on the BI you will find that need on Oahu. Easier to find/get jobs and better pay makes it easier to make it here than on the BI. Without a job most won't make it here or anywhere.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Oneself wrote:
Holy #$%@@ I just looked at some houses on the other islands....!!!??! Even with a job over there you wont find a house for under 400k... that's not affordable for anyone more jobs or not. Id rather buy a house for half the price on the BI and only need to hustle up half the $$
You don't get much for $400,000 on the Big Island either, except in Kau and Puna. There is only one 3BD/2BA house for sale under $400,000 in Kona, listed at $399,000! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
Holy #$%@@ I just looked at some houses on the other islands....!!!??!

Even with a job over there you wont find a house for under 400k... that's not affordable for anyone more jobs or not.

Id rather buy a house for half the price on the BI and only need to hustle up half the $$

Can you say sticker shock???? :D :D :D

I paid $399K for my house here. Mortgage = $1,900/mo. Rent before we bought the house = $2,100/mo.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:08 am 
Keiki

It seems that with 200k you can get a pretty decent house in Puna, HPP area.

Remember, its just me and Erin and our dog Bear. I value having a 2 bedroom on a acre or more over a 4 bedroom on a 1/4 acre..

Also, in Volcano, you can get a real lot with the money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Yes you can get quite a lot of home for $200k over in Puna. Especially if you can get one from someone who needs to sell. I suggest you come here and see the homes for yourself before you decide on one. I looked at numerous homes for quite a few months before I found one that was not unpermitted, partially finished, termite ridden, and a mold farm. These are things that are not always included in the MLS Listings and provided photos. Also, you will want to check out the neighborhood and location of the home in the subdivision. Some locations are better than others. Some lots only have dirt/rock road access and are not off of paved roads. If this is okay with you then make sure the roads are rocked well and kept in good condition.

I found a lot of homes are not well maintained here. So just be careful and hire a good inspector.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:59 am 
Keiki

I appreciate the advice, We do expect to rent for a few months first, so will def take that into consideration !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Oneself wrote:
It seems that with 200k you can get a pretty decent house in Puna, HPP area. Remember, its just me and Erin and our dog Bear. I value having a 2 bedroom on a acre or more over a 4 bedroom on a 1/4 acre.. Also, in Volcano, you can get a real lot with the money.
Correct, there are some decent homes in HPP and Leilani Estates for around $200,000, and those are the only two subdivisions I'd ever consider in Puna. There is nothing for $200,000 in Volcano Village, probably nothing even for $300,000. If you are thinking of some other subdivisions in that area than make sure you know what you are getting. There are some pretty bad areas up there. Remember, you don't make money when you sell, you make money when you buy! (Example: there is a limited market for two-bedroom homes.)

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
Malihini

That sure is the wild side of the island, don't let the names of all the subdivisions ending with "Estates" there fool you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am 
Keiki

Wet and Wild :0)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:23 pm 
Malihini

Oneself wrote:
Wet and Wild :0)
Are you guys talking about subdivisions, or something else? :bounce:

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next