It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Aloha Spirit
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:15 am 
Keiki

Aloha, blessings and greetings....

My name Is Chris, and I have been planning a move out of the mainland for some time now. I have considered many places around the globe and recently have decided Hawaii may be a good choice.

My reasoning for choosing Hawaii is unlike most others. I am not in need of palm trees or nice weather, I already live in South Florida. I do not wish to take anything from the island but instead to give and be a part of the island.

I am coming to Hawaii because I crave the Aloha Spirit. I am looking to be with like minded individuals who see past the consumerism that is pushed and accepted by everyone on the mainland. I love the notion of putting people, life and spirit first.

My questions though, are to do with location... Where would be some good places to live ? Kona ?Hilo ? Volcano ? I don't know...

Things I am looking for -

Harmony
Conscious or awake people
artists and those creative
a sense of community but with some privacy
the ability to grow fruits and veggies like i do here in florida
no more than 30-40 mins from work

Its just me, my conscious wife and our dog. I am 35 and she is 25.

What is it like on different parts of the island ? Maybe the Big Island is not the right island ? Is there any other affordable islands ?

I appreciate any time you take to offer info.

Mahalo

Post subject: Re: Aloha Spirit
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:30 am 
Kona Kastoff

You sure make it hard for us to give you advice! :lol: :lol: :lol: Nobody can tell you what would be the live, only you can decide on that one. You should come out here and check out the different parts of the island before deciding on one area. Kona, Hilo and Volcano are all totally different. There is an artist community in Hawi, in Holualoa, in Kau and in Puna, but it's not a close-knit community. As to growing fruits, there is not much soil here except in Hamakua, so you will be limited in what to grow. The Big Island is the most affordable of the Hawaiian islands, but it all depends on the location. We have multi million dollar homes here too.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
I do not wish to take anything from the island but instead to give and be a part of the island.

First of all, welcome to the forum, Chris. You bring and ask the toughest of all questions. It is a good thing you intend to give back to the island but make sure you give back to your local community. It is more important and you probably won't make it here if you don't.

Oneself wrote:
I am coming to Hawaii because I crave the Aloha Spirit. I am looking to be with like minded individuals who see past the consumerism that is pushed and accepted by everyone on the mainland. I love the notion of putting people, life and spirit first.

This is going to be REALLY tough. I'll tell you a little story about the 30+ locals I worked with in Hilo. They said numerous times that the "Aloha Spirit" is just made up by the travel industry to attract tourists. Most of them lived among other locals and were tired of the people (locals and transplants) that were ruining the neighborhood with crime, drugs and just plain bad behavior. I was invited to many parties (1st B-Days, anniversaries, etc.) mostly luaus and I was treated so well and nicely I will call it the "Aloha Spirit". But to be honest, it could be anyone, anywhere. I have close friends on the mainland that are just as nice and showed me the same "Aloha Spirit" I have received from strangers here. Not everyone here is so nice. With that said, I think there really is what you might call the "Aloha Spirit" here. But just like any where else it depends on who you befriend and hang out with. The Aloha Spirit in my opinion comes within yourself and is shown by your willingness and your actions to give back to the community. If you are truly one with the community you will find like minded people here. But don't expect everyone here to be in the same "Spirit" you are.[/quote]

Oneself wrote:
My questions though, are to do with location... Where would be some good places to live ? Kona ?Hilo ? Volcano ? I don't know...

Things I am looking for -

Harmony
Conscious or awake people
artists and those creative
a sense of community but with some privacy
the ability to grow fruits and veggies like i do here in florida
no more than 30-40 mins from work

Its just me, my conscious wife and our dog. I am 35 and she is 25.

What is it like on different parts of the island ? Maybe the Big Island is not the right island ? Is there any other affordable islands ?

I appreciate any time you take to offer info.

Mahalo

You are not asking for much are you? LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously though. Life here is what and how you make it. The beauty of this place is that you can live 5' from your neighbors or 500 yards. To be honest with you if you are going to allow where you live and who you befriend to help you have harmony you won't make it here. But then you won't make it any where. I am not trying to be insulting or negative, it is just what I have learned from my life. And my life has been a tough one at times. You need to have harmony in your life, but it really doesn't matter where you live if you have harmony in your life. You can find solitude and privacy here. But for me, harmony comes from within. You will find conscious and awake people every where on this island. Some more conscious and awake than others. :D :D :D Again, you just need to seek them out. A sense of community can be found all over the island but again there are those that do not have that sense. How much you get involved will mean how many like minded people you will find. The 30-40 mins from work is a tough one since you didn't mention what you do. Does your job even exist on this island? Believe me when I tell you that I run into so many people over the Net who think they can come here and find a job in their field and find out their field doesn't exist here. Then they find out they only qualify for a $10-$15 per hour job and realize they can't pay their $1,500-$2,000 a month rent. Last time I looked there was only 35 job openings advertised in the two local papers for the whole island. Are you prepared for a long period of unemployment before you find a job? Again, just trying to be honest here with you.

If you want to grow fruit I would suggest the wet side of the island. This includes a part of the Ka'u, Puna, Hilo and Hamakua Districts. Just realize that you could go as much as a month without seeing the sun and will experience rain most every day all day on the Hilo side. Speaking of Hilo, it is probably the area which you will find a job. It is where most of the jobs on the wet side of the island are located. This leaves you some of the Puna District, Hamakua District and the Hilo District. You can find what you are looking for on this side. It is where I recommend. Just realize I have given you a very large area to look in.

I want to continue to be real here. You will probably need 6 months to a year of savings when you move here as work is hard to find unless you have a job that is in high demand here. I have a skillset that is in high demand on the island so I was able to land a job before we moved. My wife is an accounting clerk and after almost 2 years could not find a job on the Big Island. Some positions were open for months and were not available to her because she is not the right race. Also, be prepared for high rents, jobs that pay half of what they do on the mainland and some prejudice. As outsiders are not always welcome to some locals. Just keep in mind, most people have two or more jobs in order to make it here. I think the hardest thing you will find is to find a place to live where you can have your dog with you. It is not an easy task to find a landlord that will allow a pet here. Unless you buy your living quarters. I have gotten 5 e-mails in the past month from from people desperate to find permanent housing here because no one will rent to them due to their having a pet. I suggest you come here without your beloved pet and get settled in before you bring them over. Believe me when I tell you that you don't want to have to make the decision between a place to live and your pet. It is that tough to find pet friendly rentals.

Just a couple of more thoughts. If you are not rich or have a decent paying job you will have a tough time here without working two or more jobs or going on welfare. But even if you can make ends meet it is tough to live here. Things you need may not exist here. Or they will be a long drive away. And if you can find them they will be expensive. My wife and I never made a living here. We had to tap into our savings every month because she was never able to land a job. And believe me when I tell you that I had one of the best paying skilled labor jobs on the island. We ended up moving to Oahu where jobs are more plentiful and pay a little better. Fortunately, we will be able to move back when we retire. Sorry this is so long but I appreciate your questions even though I was not able to really answer them fully. Let us know your thoughts.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:25 pm 
Malihini

Dave is right, the "Aloha Spirit" is made up by the travel/marketing industry. You get what you give, and you can be an ahole or you can be an "Aloha Sipirit!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:39 pm 
Malihini

Agree totally with Dave and John. You can choose to live with "aloha" anywhere in the world and how you treat people is how they will treat you.

Here in Ka'u there are quite a few people pursuing their own path in life. They are accepted for who they are, no matter how strange they may appear. Being a rural, poor district, "live and let live" is easier to accomplish than in a someplace where people have more money. But it is really tough to live here. Almost everyone is on rainwater catchment, and in times of drought (which are happening more and more frequently) people end up having to buy water. Kind of hard to grow plants in lava in the first place, but really hard not be able to water the plants you are trying to grow for food. You mentioned getting away from the "consumerism" but not sure how you expect to achieve that. Even though I grow a lot of my own fruit and veggies, I still have to go to Costco or Safeway for meat, milk, etc. and I definitely don't make my own clothes or build my own furniture.

Chris, what do you mean "30-40 minutes to work"? What kind of work will you be looking for? Most jobs are either in Kona or Hilo, so that makes finding the Shangri-la that you are looking for that much harder.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Right on Babette, great post!

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Malihini

thanks, John :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:29 am 
Keiki

First off, mahalos for everyones input...

Not the answers I was expecting.

I have been doing heavy research and asking other people I personally know who live or have lived in Hawaii.

One thing I do know for certain, everyone has an opinion and they are all different. Ive heard the alohas spirit is made up, I have heard it is what you give, I have heard it does exist etc... everyones opinion tends to be conflicting.

Ive heard it is expensive to live in Hawaii, I have been told personally by a dear friend who lived in Hawaii many years that is just what they tell people so a lot of people do not move there.

Ive been told that there are no jobs, but ive also been told that there are jobs, but that there is a high level of incompetence in Hawaii and if you have good experience in a skilled trade you will have no problem finding a job.

Its very hard to determine each person intent behind their opinion.

I guess it goes back to what my friend Elijah Devine told me... "Chris, the islands are on the ley lines and will be what you make them, if you believe the island will provide for you and you provide for the island, everything will manifest itself. If you believe it will be negative, than everything will be negative."

As far as locations, I think I have narrowed it down a lot. Definitely going to be around Hilo somewhere, I don't mind the rain, its always raining in South florida pretty much everyday at least for an hour. Right now the area I am thinking of is going to be HPP, because Volcano seems to be a bit too cold.

I am not too concerned about work. I don't want that to come across overly confident, but me and my wife (Erin) are experienced enough that if we had to take jobs for half our pay we would be ok, our plan the whole time was to cut our current costs of living down 60% so they we can make the sacrifice to live on the island and enjoy life.

Community is something we would definitely be involved in. I am hoping that I am not too naïve by assuming people in Hawaii are going to be a little more down to earth than here in Ft Lauderdale/Miami.

Am I wrong that materialism, consumerism and the mainland mentalities is not the same in Hilo as it is in say Fort Lauderdale ? Am I being deceived to think that the Aloha Spirit is hogwash and that Hawaiins are the same as Floridians ?

I really hope not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 am 
Kona Kastoff

Oneself wrote:
Am I wrong that materialism, consumerism and the mainland mentalities is not the same in Hilo as it is in say Fort Lauderdale ? Am I being deceived to think that the Aloha Spirit is hogwash and that Hawaiins are the same as Floridians ? I really hope not.
1. Correct, no materialism here, nobody cares what you were or what you drive. 2. I don't know the Floridans, but having lived here for 22+ years I can tell you the "Aloha Spirit" is a tourist trap. My house has been broken into like five times in Puna. Two of my tenants bailed without paying the last month of rent. My lost cell phone was never returned. Etc. That's your "aloha spirit." :( :( :(

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:

That's a good thing, right?

Oneself wrote:
I have been doing heavy research and asking other people I personally know who live or have lived in Hawaii.

One thing I do know for certain, everyone has an opinion and they are all different. Ive heard the alohas spirit is made up, I have heard it is what you give, I have heard it does exist etc... everyones opinion tends to be conflicting.

Well, I think you have heard from us that it is what you make of it. It is what you want it to be. You believe what you want to believe. Same as religion and spirituality.[/quote]

Oneself wrote:
Ive heard it is expensive to live in Hawaii, I have been told personally by a dear friend who lived in Hawaii many years that is just what they tell people so a lot of people do not move there.

I have lived in SoCal most of my life. And it is expensive there. But it is more so here. Not by a lot though. But then I took about a 50%-60% pay cut to live here. I think NY and DC is more expensive. The cheapest gallon of milk here (not from Costco) is $7.00. How much is it there in FLA? You learn after you move here where the best places to shop for certain items are. We go to farmers markets for fruit and veggies. Costco for meat, milk, bread and assorted items. Walmart and Foodland for most other things. And Safeway when we can't find what we are looking for any where else. If you want to know if it is expensive here just look on the Internet. You basically learn to live within your means. For instance I do without certain things now that I took for granted on the mainland. [/quote]

Oneself wrote:
Ive been told that there are no jobs, but ive also been told that there are jobs, but that there is a high level of incompetence in Hawaii and if you have good experience in a skilled trade you will have no problem finding a job.

This is very easy to verify. Last time I looked on the Internet the Big Island had about 12% unemployment. If you check out the local want ads and Internet job boards you'll see there are not many jobs available. How many jobs pertaining to your skillset are available right now on the Big Island? I think the incompetence thing pertains to some misconceptions about the city/county workers. There is a lot of government waste here. [/quote]

Oneself wrote:

I created the Kona Forum as a resource to help people move here. You can think what you want about the motives of the people here. But I know most of the regulars here. And telling people the truth about living here is most important to most of us. [/quote]

Oneself wrote:
I guess it goes back to what my friend Elijah Devine told me... "Chris, the islands are on the ley lines and will be what you make them, if you believe the island will provide for you and you provide for the island, everything will manifest itself. If you believe it will be negative, than everything will be negative."

That is very nice and very spiritual. I am sure it works for some people.

Oneself wrote:
As far as locations, I think I have narrowed it down a lot. Definitely going to be around Hilo somewhere, I don't mind the rain, its always raining in South florida pretty much everyday at least for an hour. Right now the area I am thinking of is going to be HPP, because Volcano seems to be a bit too cold.

I think Volcano is too cold for me too. When I lived on that side I lived in Fern Acres which is in Mountain View in upper Puna. It is near the 14 mile marker of the belt road. I really loved it there. If you want privacy you might want to check it out. You may have a hard time finding a private area in HPP. Otherwise HPP is in a very good location to go to work in Hilo. But not so good coming home. Traffic can be a real pain trying to make the left turn into HPP across the traffic lanes. We considered HPP when we moved there. It was on top of our list until we saw the traffic going to and coming home during rush hour.[/quote]

Oneself wrote:
I am not too concerned about work. I don't want that to come across overly confident, but me and my wife (Erin) are experienced enough that if we had to take jobs for half our pay we would be ok, our plan the whole time was to cut our current costs of living down 60% so they we can make the sacrifice to live on the island and enjoy life.

I wish you a lot of luck getting jobs there. I am not trying to be negative. I am trying to be positive. Like I said. Unless you have a skillset that is in high demand it will be a challenge to find a job without prior experience. I want you to succeed and be happy. Everyone deserves that much.[/quote]

Oneself wrote:
Community is something we would definitely be involved in. I am hoping that I am not too naïve by assuming people in Hawaii are going to be a little more down to earth than here in Ft Lauderdale/Miami.

Generally speaking I think you are correct about this. Just remember there are some weird and not so great people on the island. I love the local people there. Well, the ones I made friends with. They are my friends for a lifetime.

Oneself wrote:
Am I wrong that materialism, consumerism and the mainland mentalities is not the same in Hilo as it is in say Fort Lauderdale ? Am I being deceived to think that the Aloha Spirit is hogwash and that Hawaiins are the same as Floridians ?

I really hope not.

Just remember that you are going to live in a tourist trap. While not so much a tourist area like Kona, it is none the less catering to the local AND the tourist alike. Just stay away from the tourist shops during regular tourist season and attend local kine activities and you will immerse yourself in the culture. If you befriend those like minded to yourself you will enjoy the people there. There are a lot of like minded people there. Just get involved in the community and trust your judgment when it comes to making new friends and you will be happy. There are the types that come from SoCal and such that try and change things to their liking. Think of them as the Floridians. Find more like minded people whether they be local or transplants that are doing the same thing and looking for the same thing.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 pm 
Malihini

Oneself wrote:

I really hope not.

Well, after I read this response and your post on another thread on this forum, I'm really really sorry that I took the time to respond to you in the first place. :cry:

When you said "not the answers you were expecting", then why bother asking? A couple of us did bother to respond and offer you our personal opinions in answer to your questions, and then you just turn around and argue. Apparently you didn't come to this forum to learn, but to chastise.

I am SO SICK of the comment that we tell people it's expensive here because we don't want them to move here. How about the truth -- we tell people that it's expensive to live here because we are trying to prepare them for the sticker shock? Do you seriously think that we should just sugar coat our answers to encourage you to move here? What good does that serve?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Babette wrote:
Well, after I read this response and your post on another thread on this forum, I'm really really sorry that I took the time to respond to you in the first place. :cry:

When you said "not the answers you were expecting", then why bother asking? A couple of us did bother to respond and offer you our personal opinions in answer to your questions, and then you just turn around and argue. Apparently you didn't come to this forum to learn, but to chastise.

I am SO SICK of the comment that we tell people it's expensive here because we don't want them to move here. How about the truth -- we tell people that it's expensive to live here because we are trying to prepare them for the sticker shock? Do you seriously think that we should just sugar coat our answers to encourage you to move here? What good does that serve?

Hey Babette,

I love you! I know its hard to hear all of us tell someone like it is here and then have them accuse us of having an agenda. We try hard but let's face it, Chris has his own agenda and our answers didn't fit what he was hoping to hear. Thank you for trying to be honest and helpful. I just want you to know I appreciate your answers.

I want to add something to this thread.

I just heard from a close friend (His name is Chris, also) here on Oahu. Well, he is no longer on Oahu. He moved back to the Mainland. He has lots of friends, and is well respected in our community. This guy had a good job. He made good money for being in Hawaii. Which of course is not enough to live and survive on. So he started a business teaching and giving back to the citizens of this state. So now he has two incomes. Plus his girlfriend had a good job. And unfortunately they couldn't make it here. Just so you know, he also set up a real non profit organization and gave back to the community. He poured every waking minute into this organization and even though he no longer lives here he is going to try and continue to run this and give back to us here in Hawaii. He was clean, drug and alcohol free (I know what I am I doing hanging around him?), faithful, hard working and religious. I honestly can not think of anyone else who deserves to make it here. And he couldn't.

I just wanted to share this to Chris and any one else thinking of moving here. It is not impossible to make it here. But it is difficult. This island has a way of kicking your ass sometimes. The people here (That I associate with) are wonderful people who I would not trade for anything else in this world. I am sorry to see my friend leave.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:38 pm 
Kona Kastoff

The truth is some people asking questions on forums want to hear what they want to hear and not what the truth is. If the truth is not what they want to hear than they get offensive. I have experience this on various different forums.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:13 pm 
Malihini

Anyone telling you Hawaii is not expensive is your enemy. Most everything has to be shipped in here, and I still remember my culture shock seeing bell peppers for $5.99/lbs here, the same bell peppers I paid $1.99/lbs for in CA! A loaf of good bread $6.00, ground beef is $5.99, and even fish that is caught here is $15.00 a pound. This place is not for the budget minded. Oh, gas is probably $1.00/gallon more expensive here than the published most expensive gas on the mainland. All these we call the "Paradise Tax!" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 am 
Keiki

Instead of quoting each reply, let me say, its never good to make assumptions.

When I said these were not the answers I was expecting, Its not an insult, its a fact, and not to be taken as an insult.

By me stating that it is hard to know what peoples intentions are, somehow, Babette and a few others took it as I was speaking of them. As I mentioned, I have been getting opinions from a LOT of sources. Friends, books, blogs, forums, family, and yes, it is hard to tell what EVERYONES agenda is.

Thanks and I am glad I can clarify that.

I'm curious to know, how those on this message board have managed to beat the terrible odds of living in Hawaii ? Also, why stay ?

Dave, if your friend was respected and had 2 sources of good income, why did he leave? It couldn't have been from loneliness or poverty ?

John, Did you live in the house that got broken into or was this an empty rental ? What types of security do people typically use ? gates, alarms ?

I am pretty sure my gun permit allows me to keep my guns when I move. From what I thought, most small crimes are against tourists and rental places that are empty and people looking to do a quick snatch and go...is this correct ?

Babette, Sorry you feel that way. Best to you.

Page 1 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next