It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am 
Keiki

Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am
Posts: 11
Hello,
My husband and I have been reading a bit about VOG and am wondering how it affects all of you. Would you say this is a huge deterrent for the Big Island? Or not? Do you think it is getting worse? Do you think people move away because of VOG?

Why did you choose the Big Island over the other islands? Was it because housing is the cheapest there? That would be our reason. My husband wants us to research Maui in case the VOG turns out to be an issue for us. But it seems very expensive and tiny lots compared to Big Island.
Thank you!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:38 am 
Kona Kastoff
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:53 am
Posts: 2536
Location: Kailua-Kona
pnan wrote:
Hello, My husband and I have been reading a bit about VOG and am wondering how it affects all of you. Would you say this is a huge deterrent for the Big Island? Or not? Do you think it is getting worse? Do you think people move away because of VOG?

Why did you choose the Big Island over the other islands? Was it because housing is the cheapest there? That would be our reason. My husband wants us to research Maui in case the VOG turns out to be an issue for us. But it seems very expensive and tiny lots compared to Big Island. Thank you!
I have lived here for 22+ years and I only know a handful of people who claimed the VOG affected them. (I think they just couldn't make it here and used the VOG as an excuse for moving back.) I moved to the Big Island because it is diverse and it is BIG! Even after all these years I never ever had a feeling of living on an island.



_________________
John S. Rabi
Principal Broker
"THE NEXT LEVEL OF SERVICE"
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
888.819.9669
johnrabi.com


This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Kapolei
pnan wrote:
Hello,
My husband and I have been reading a bit about VOG and am wondering how it affects all of you. Would you say this is a huge deterrent for the Big Island? Or not? Do you think it is getting worse? Do you think people move away because of VOG?

Why did you choose the Big Island over the other islands? Was it because housing is the cheapest there? That would be our reason. My husband wants us to research Maui in case the VOG turns out to be an issue for us. But it seems very expensive and tiny lots compared to Big Island.
Thank you!

The VOG does not bother me much. It bothers my wife a little more than me but not so much that we would want to move away. It does affect some people more than others and I have heard of some people moving away due to the VOG. Also, I have heard of some farmers moving due to their plants dying because of the VOG. But that is even more rare. It has gotten better since the volcano slowed down spewing the VOG. But it can still be bad enough to affect some people.

We loved the BI from the moment we set foot on it. For us it was a no brainer that we wanted to live here. We didn't know what the cost of the real estate was when we decided. After doing our research we were pleasantly surprised we could afford it. I have a question for you, though. The difference between Maui and the BI are completely 100% opposites. Maui is a totally different atmosphere which is more big city and the BI is more country. I would think you would prefer one over the other and make your decision as to which island due to your preferences and not the VOG. So why which island is for you? Also, did you know they still burn the cane fields on Maui? Would that affect you as well?



_________________
Dave Brilliant (S)
Real Estate Agent RS-77348
(808) 366-8714
Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 am 
Malihini
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 387
Location: Honokaa
Vog doesn't bother me, but we live in Hamakua. I suspect that it would if I lived in south Kona.

There a lot of variables when considering vog problems. Location, the individual, and the volcano itself.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am 
Kona Kastoff
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:53 am
Posts: 2536
Location: Kailua-Kona
haoleboy wrote:
There a lot of variables when considering vog problems. Location, the individual, and the volcano itself.
Correct. There was much more VOG a few years ago when the volcano was more active. It lasted for a couple of months.



_________________
John S. Rabi
Principal Broker
"THE NEXT LEVEL OF SERVICE"
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
888.819.9669
johnrabi.com


This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:33 pm 
Keiki

Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am
Posts: 11
Kona Dave wrote:
pnan wrote:
Hello,
My husband and I have been reading a bit about VOG and am wondering how it affects all of you. Would you say this is a huge deterrent for the Big Island? Or not? Do you think it is getting worse? Do you think people move away because of VOG?

Why did you choose the Big Island over the other islands? Was it because housing is the cheapest there? That would be our reason. My husband wants us to research Maui in case the VOG turns out to be an issue for us. But it seems very expensive and tiny lots compared to Big Island.
Thank you!

The VOG does not bother me much. It bothers my wife a little more than me but not so much that we would want to move away. It does affect some people more than others and I have heard of some people moving away due to the VOG. Also, I have heard of some farmers moving due to their plants dying because of the VOG. But that is even more rare. It has gotten better since the volcano slowed down spewing the VOG. But it can still be bad enough to affect some people.

We loved the BI from the moment we set foot on it. For us it was a no brainer that we wanted to live here. We didn't know what the cost of the real estate was when we decided. After doing our research we were pleasantly surprised we could afford it. I have a question for you, though. The difference between Maui and the BI are completely 100% opposites. Maui is a totally different atmosphere which is more big city and the BI is more country. I would think you would prefer one over the other and make your decision as to which island due to your preferences and not the VOG. So why which island is for you? Also, did you know they still burn the cane fields on Maui? Would that affect you as well?


After looking at the air quality index website for any city, I compared Oregon, Minnesota and Hawaii, all places I have lived and saw that places in Oregon are worse than the Big Island. That was a relief because I really don't want to give up on the Big Island because of VOG. but also, I would hate to ignore it and find it gives me migraines or something. When I read online about VOG, people seem very affected by it. Or maybe that is a small percentage but they complain the loudest?? I do get migraines, just want to cover all the bases. Oregon, also does field burning and has the worst allergens, fungus and mold of any place I've lived. So maybe it is like that, but people don't tell you not to move there because of it.

My husband was in contact with an acquaintance who moved to Maui this last spring and was asking him some questions and he mentioned the sugar cane fields, so that is very interesting, I did not know that. Something to consider as well. Personally I want to live on Maui about as much as I want to live on Oahu, which is NO DESIRE at all. I have only been to Maui one time 12 years ago and we stayed at the Westin and did not leave the Westin. So I did not know it was "city" compared to Big Island. Oahu is too crowded, too much traffic and housing too expensive. To me the Big Island seems so roomy and you would be able to "get away" if need be. I like the city for a good day of shopping but other than that, I am not a city girl. It was a real shocker to me that I loved living on our farm in Oregon, cows, goats, sheep and all. We had no prior experience with that but jumped in anyway! I imagine the Big Island to be more like that. So if Maui is city like, my gut is right that I would not like it.
If there is anything else you have to share about Maui, please do share! I think it is important to know all this before we come out in January! What do you all think of Captain Cook? We are thinking North Kona but I want to think about all areas of Kona.
Thanks!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 pm 
Keiki
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 41
Location: Kailua-Kona
Aloha pnan,

We have not had any negative repercussions from the vog here although neither of us has any respiratory conditions. I have heard folks with bad asthma and other similar conditions may be affected.

We simply fell in love with the Big Island. It felt right to us. It is difficult to put into words but I think it is both the people and the fact that it is large enough so you can drive somewhere and in an hour see a totally different landscape. My husband especially likes the active volcano and the ability to stargaze at the ranger station on Mauna Kea. All the islands have similar ocean activities and other nature features such as hikes, caves, unique (and not so unique) birds. The cost of living being less expensive than the other islands was just an added benefit. I like to VISIT all of the other islands (even Oahu) but am just as happy to come back home.



_________________
---mb---
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ---Saint Augustine---
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:24 am 
Keiki

Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am
Posts: 11
Thank you Marybeth for posting to both my questions. I have been reading the boards, very good info. Things I would not have thought of. I like the, what not to bring to Kona thread. it is good to hear from a mother who has left her children. It would almost be easier for me if they moved out of state, but for me to make that choice seems selfish. But I know it's really not. I know you understand. Surprisingly my husband is having a hard time with that also. He just went to the boys house to help them fence in their back yard and he had so much fun he came home and said well today didn't help ( makes him not want to leave)... however we always end back up with , but we do not want to stay in this state! I had to remind him, soon they will get married and have their own families to care for.
We are just really very excited to get to Kona in January. I'm sure a lot of our questions will be answered at that point. My husband is now researching property taxes, I'm not sure we understand how they work. They all seem so low, but we are wondering if they go up once you buy the house, so current value determines property tax? He I going to call around. That will really determine our price range and if we build or not.
Thank you!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: VOG, Big Island vs. other islands
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 am 
Keiki
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 41
Location: Kailua-Kona
It is less expensive for people who live on-island permanently than those who call it their 2nd residence. There is an exemption for being a permanent resident. (Sorry I forgot the complex formula but it reduces the value of your house that the tax is based on). I am pretty sure each county has their own rules, too so make sure you look at Hawaii county.

I also know there are additional exemptions when one household member turns 60 and then again 70. I think it begins the Jan after their birthday. You need to submit legal proof of age (and they want it for BOTH spouses even if you are the “younger” one) just to have all on file. We had to re-do ours since we only provided my husband’s as he was the only one who qualified. I also remember that you have to have the paperwork submitted BEFORE the end of the year with any exemptions proved to qualify for the following year.

There are agriculture, disability and I think income-based exemptions as well.

Here is a link to what I believe is the instructions:
http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/Forms/ ... ochure.pdf



_________________
---mb---
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ---Saint Augustine---
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: