It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: hi I'm new and some questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:26 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Joyce wrote:
I used to live there and have lots of family and friends there. When we moved here one pointed out that Hawaii is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from Israel! Couldn't get any farther away if I tried! I said it was nothing personal :)
You are late with that claim Joyce, Hawaii is exactly on the opposite side of the world from (guess what!) HUNGARY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Joyce wrote:
I used to live there and have lots of family and friends there. When we moved here one pointed out that Hawaii is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from Israel! Couldn't get any farther away if I tried! I said it was nothing personal :)
You are late with that claim Joyce, Hawaii is exactly on the opposite side of the world from (guess what!) HUNGARY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was Hungary a lot when I was homeless. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a 13 hour difference in time I have to deal with when I call my niece. But John is correct. Hungary is 12 hours difference from us.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:15 pm 
Malihini

I don't know guys, I just checked on my cool, lit from within Walmart globe and I'm calling it for Tel Aviv, Hungary is about an inch to the left :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:12 am 
Keiki

My husband and I are thinking of looking at the new construction neighborhoods. Which ones are the best ones (above airport area) in your opinions.... in the $400-550,000 range.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:59 am 
Kona Kastoff

pnan wrote:
My husband and I are thinking of looking at the new construction neighborhoods. Which ones are the best ones (above airport area) in your opinions.... in the $400-550,000 range.
There is just one above the airport, Lokahi Makai. There is one in town, Pualani Estates. IMHO, you are better off buying land and building the home you want instead of buying at either of those two.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 am 
Malihini

There aren't many "new construction neighborhoods" anywhere on the island, but individual building is picking up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm 
Keiki

John S. Rabi wrote:
pnan wrote:
There is just one above the airport, Lokahi Makai. There is one in town, Pualani Estates. IMHO, you are better off buying land and building the home you want instead of buying at either of those two.

Why do you say that John?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm 
Kona Kastoff

pnan wrote:
John S. Rabi wrote:
pnan wrote:
Why do you say that John?
Hawaii County is not developer friendly unless you want to build a million dollars home subdivision. The last new condo complex was built in 2004 and there have not been a new subdivision built her since the mentioned two. You can buy a decent piece of and for $200,000 and build a hell of a house for $250,000. Sure beats Pualani Estates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Hawaii County is not developer friendly unless you want to build a million dollars home subdivision. The last new condo complex was built in 2004 and there have not been a new subdivision built her since the mentioned two. You can buy a decent piece of and for $200,000 and build a hell of a house for $250,000. Sure beats Pualani Estates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is almost the Hawaiian way to have a custom built home on the island. My home is that way. A pretty typical Hawaiian custom home built by a craftsman carpenter. He lived in it for only a short time before he moved back to the mainland. Then the woman who owns Kimos Furniture bought it and furnished it and then never lived in it. I bought it from her.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:57 am 
Keiki

oh wow... so are there .50-1 acre lots above the airport area?
One more thing.... would we be able to keep our property taxes below $2500 a year with a bigger lot and new construction?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:09 am 
Malihini

YES! I was in Hawaii lot of times, very long journey from Hungary....The time difference 12 hours, so we live on the other side of the Earth. So if you think of me I walk on my head :D :D :D :D

BUT Joyce also has right (as I see the World map) Israel is almost the same line of longitude(?) like Hungary but a little East from Hungary

http://www.mapsofworld.com/

[quote="John S. Rabi"][quote="Joyce"]I used to live there and have lots of family and friends there. When we moved here one pointed out that Hawaii is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from Israel! Couldn't get any farther away if I tried! I said it was nothing personal :)[/quote]You are late with that claim Joyce, Hawaii is exactly on the opposite side of the world from (guess what!) HUNGARY! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:35 am 
Keiki

I do hope you are reading all of the older posts where people are asking why folks actually moved to the Big Island. While the questions may not be exactly the same as yours, they will give you additional insight into why some of us came here to live. (And maybe see questions you never thought of asking but should have…)

We have been coming to HI for over 10 years. Our daughter is a Chaminade grad (small university on Oahu) so I have been to Hawaii in general many times starting as Oahu centric with a side trip to another island. That was how we were able to firmly decide on the Big Island as the place where we wanted to retire.

Once we did decide on this island, we spent a number of visits staying at places all around the island, even in areas where we really didn't think we would want to live. B&Bs are often good for this as they can be in locations where there are no hotels, rental condos or VRBO places. I do not recommend staying at resorts for investigating living here – they are great for refreshing yourself from a stressful job but not so much for trying to better understand the daily lifestyle you will have as a resident.

I also have young adult children so I understand it is difficult letting go. Our daughter lives in northern Virginia and has a good professional job. She came to visit last summer and we had a great time. Fortunately I do not worry about her at all. Our 2 sons (twins) live north of San Francisco and are still working on developing careers. One is going to the Academy of Arts University in San Francisco. They need to live their lives and make their own decisions….as well as make their own mistakes. It is easier on me if they are over 2,000 miles and 2-3 time zones away. I had a hard time at first but I know they are doing just fine. We usually talk every couple of weeks and they tell me they are doing things and sound happy. I hear they wear clean clothes and do not look malnourished……

BTW as a parent you can either visit your kids on the mainland where they live – or you can buy THEM a ticket to visit YOU in Hawaii. This way you will not be competing with their daily schedules if they are on your turf. You will still have your comfy bed and they will get the spare one or the couch! Besides who doesn't like a free ticket to HI? I have found it is the best birthday/Christmas gift you can give them! Add up your expenses versus their ticket (adding your pet sitter, rental car, transportation to your local airport, etc) and it can be a better deal for you. We saved some of the places we wanted to explore for when they came based on what we knew their interests were. I did NOT have my sons visit the same time as my daughter so we had better 1:1 time. When all 3 of my kids get together it is sibling catch-up time. Anyway it is something to consider.

I have not had cabin fever but I do things that will avoid it. We are fairly new “permanent” residents. Our one-way tickets were last Halloween although we purchased our place in May 2011 and previously stayed here often for several weeks at a time. (It took quite a while to get rid of our stuff and put our CA house on the market.) One of the things I have found that keeps me sane is going to another island where there is something we don’t have here. I feel like a kid in a candy shop. For example both Maui and Oahu have Whole Foods. Just going inside and buying a couple of spices was all I needed to feel I was in another faraway place. When we went to Oahu I saw a Bed Bath and Beyond. I considered going inside to shop, but there wasn't anything I actually needed. I think being able to go there was all it took.

Over time you will find your level of needing differentness. We live in Kailua Kona town. Often a road trip to Hilo or maybe just up the coast to Hawi and back down through Parker Ranch land on Route 250 is enough to get back my perspective on life. The Big Island is BIG and it is diverse so feel free to explore!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am 
Keiki

"Hawaii is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from Israel"

Actually, the antipode of Hawaii Island is the Okavango Delta in Botswana.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Malihini

Close enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
Close enough.

Close enough for what? LOL!!!!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next