It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: hi I'm new and some questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:32 am 
Keiki

hello.
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the BI. Husband was born and raised on Oahu and we visit every year, his family is still there. We have always wanted to buy a vacation home in Hawaii, but not Oahu. The last visit we made our first trip to the Target over in Kapolei and I said to my husband, the prices for these groceries are not that much higher than Minnesota! So what the heck are we doing in Minnesota, dealing with brutal winters, humid summers with mosquitos and tornadoes and paying high insurance and taxes too? So we really started thinking about it. That same trip we visited Kauai, thinking we would get a vacation home there and end up full time someday, but when we drove through Kapaa during traffic we knew instantly we could not handle that. This year we are visiting the BI along with our usual Oahu stay. From our online research we would like to live in Kona above the airport area.
What are the most important things for us to do and see while we are there? My biggest worry is I will feel trapped (however I never want to leave when we are on vacation there), and what kind of mother would leave her children to move to another state? (we have two boys out of the house already) Has anyone done this? My boys are just out of the house 1 1/2 yrs. Not married. It seems it would be a bit easier were they married, but I know that is coming. And I have a child with a deadly food allergy, I wonder if there are good allergists out there? I only ask because on Oahu when we eat out I have to ask about her allergy and people look at me as if they have never heard of a food allergy before.
Also what about colleges? my oldest daughter wants to go to beauty school. She graduates this year. Is it realistic to think this is a good career on the Big Island? We are moving out of our current state no matter where we choose, but we keep coming back to Kona in our discussions.
Thank you for any information or advice.
P

Post subject: Re: hi I'm new and some questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:16 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Welcome to the Forum! You most likely will get much more unbiased responses here than on the "other" forum you came from. :lol: The Big Island is BIG and diverse. Kailua-Kona that we just call Kona is smaller but just as diverse. You can break it down to three sections: the area above the airport, the in-town area, and the Keauhou area. I don't think you can make a decision of "we would like the area above the airport" based on online research. (There are some crappy neighborhoods there, there are some decent neighborhoods there, and there are some very exclusive neighborhoods there.) My recommendation is to spend as much time here driving around as you can before deciding on the area. On the other hand, I have a friend who moved here from MN and she said "Every place is better than MN!" so you can't go wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS. Don't worry about the kids, they live their own lives and so should you. There are several beauty salons in Kona, I doubt your daughter would have trouble finding a job.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:39 pm 
Malihini

X2 on what John said. You cannot shop for Hawaii real estate online. Neighborhoods and climate can vary drastically within a couple miles.

My wife and I have lived here for only about 7 years now and it is unbelievable how many people we have known and met who ended up moving back to the mainland. I would recommend you have a contingency plan in place for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm 
Malihini

X3 here. Before I moved to Hawaii a "moved" to both Belize and Costa Rica based on my web research. The web is deceptive, not everything is gold that glitters. Once we really decided to move to Hawaii, I never thougt we would end up living in Waikoloa. You certainly should spend as much time here as you can before making a decision, not just about moving here, but about what area to move to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:21 am 
Keiki

thank you, so true. we thought a house in Kona heavens may be an option, but one look at google earth showed us the neighbors yard looks like a landfill. Ditto for a nice newer home after looking from above, we saw one side of the house was an arms length away from the neighbors house.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 am 
Kona Kastoff

pnan wrote:
thank you, so true. we thought a house in Kona heavens may be an option, but one look at google earth showed us the neighbors yard looks like a landfill. Ditto for a nice newer home after looking from above, we saw one side of the house was an arms length away from the neighbors house.
Kona Heavens is one of the upscale neighborhoods with a strong HOA in that area, I doubt they would let anyone get away with a "landfill" backyard.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

pnan wrote:
hello.
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the BI. Husband was born and raised on Oahu and we visit every year, his family is still there. We have always wanted to buy a vacation home in Hawaii, but not Oahu. The last visit we made our first trip to the Target over in Kapolei and I said to my husband, the prices for these groceries are not that much higher than Minnesota! So what the heck are we doing in Minnesota, dealing with brutal winters, humid summers with mosquitos and tornadoes and paying high insurance and taxes too? So we really started thinking about it. That same trip we visited Kauai, thinking we would get a vacation home there and end up full time someday, but when we drove through Kapaa during traffic we knew instantly we could not handle that. This year we are visiting the BI along with our usual Oahu stay. From our online research we would like to live in Kona above the airport area.
What are the most important things for us to do and see while we are there? My biggest worry is I will feel trapped (however I never want to leave when we are on vacation there), and what kind of mother would leave her children to move to another state? (we have two boys out of the house already) Has anyone done this? My boys are just out of the house 1 1/2 yrs. Not married. It seems it would be a bit easier were they married, but I know that is coming. And I have a child with a deadly food allergy, I wonder if there are good allergists out there? I only ask because on Oahu when we eat out I have to ask about her allergy and people look at me as if they have never heard of a food allergy before.
Also what about colleges? my oldest daughter wants to go to beauty school. She graduates this year. Is it realistic to think this is a good career on the Big Island? We are moving out of our current state no matter where we choose, but we keep coming back to Kona in our discussions.
Thank you for any information or advice.
P

Welcome to the Kona Forum!!!

It was after a visit to Costco in Kona that my wife and I decided to move to the BI sooner than we had planned. While everyday expenses are some what comparable to where I used to live in SoCal you will find that all other expenses will be tremendously higher. For instance, want your car repaired? I own a 2005 Honda CRV. The fan behind the air conditioner condenser and radiator recently died. Cost for replacement? About $600 at the Honda dealer. It was $350 for the fan and $250 for the 2 hours of labor. The same part at the local NAPA Auto Parts was $185. And the same part on the mainland? $75. Labor costs are about the same or a little higher here. But the parts costs are 100% or more. Tires, beds, furniture, appliances, hazardous materials such as oil, cleaners and liquids of most sorts are MUCH higher here. And then there are Hawaii specific costs that can be high as well. For instance a lot of homes in Hawaii are so small that they force you to use a combo washer/dryer unit. Cheapest one on the island is about $1,300 with tax and delivery. Refrigerators rust out before they die in some areas of the island. As bad as HELCO is in being reliable you might want to buy a generator during those days that electricity is out (Another $1k plus). Automobiles are much more expensive. I can go on and on. Just be aware and don't be fooled by prices on everyday items.

Also, traffic in and out of (and through) Kona can be quite bad at certain times of the day. For instance, traffic in and out of Kona both north and south is bad during regular work rush hours. When the tourist season is at its peak every year the traffic in and through Kona can be quite maddening. There is only a 2 lane main road around the whole island. Have an accident and it can be hours before you can get through it. It may even block your route home. For instance a power pole fell during a bad storm. It blocked traffic for almost 8 hours before they could open up traffic. It occurred just east of where I lived. and less than than 14 miles from where I worked. They opened up to traffic about 3pm I left work at 6pm and it took me 2 hours to get home. My only other choices were to wait in Hilo Town or drive around the other side of the island for about 8 hours. We have bad traffic here as well. And we have fewer choices in going around problem areas. Just be aware not is all rosy and perfect here.

A lot of people get that trapped feeling or island fever. I got it the first year or so I was here. It can be quite overwhelming. Just keep in mind that 99% of your life you never drive more than a few miles from home any way. A lot of people cannot overcome that feeling and move back to the mainland. It is a real concern. At least on the BI it takes about 8 hours to drive all the way around with only minimal stops. There are plenty of things to see and do here. Just make sure you do what interests you.

Bad Mom? If you were leaving your underage children I would say yes you are a bad Mom. But they are full grown and on their own. And they moved away from you, right? It is your time now. You should be able to live your life the way you want it without fear of reprisal and guilt from your children. Also, just remember that the chances of your children coming to visit you in Hawaii are quite slim unless you pay for their trip. Most everyone here will tell you they receive very few visits, if any, from family once they moved. I can't speak about having good allergists on the BI but I believe you can find a good one on Oahu if you are willing and can afford to travel. If you think no one understands food allergies on Oahu I guarantee it is worse on the BI.

I don't know anything about beauty schools here. Maybe on Oahu? The University of Hawaii is an excellent school but I doubt they have that sort of subject manner. I believe it would be a good career for her here. But she may be better suited to graduate before you move.

I hope you take what I have said to heart and not let it stop you from doing what you want. I just don't want to paint a rosy picture of life here for you to find it not unlike where you moved from. I am not trying to discourage you. Just inform and enlighten you. My wife and I asked a lot of questions through forums like this one (Before I started this one) for many years before we made the decision to move. We made many trips and stayed in areas where people lived outside of Kona and Hilo proper. We knew what we were getting into and yet we have constantly been surprised. Even after the 5 years we have been here.

Keep us informed of what your plans are and let us know if you have any other questions.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:29 am 
Keiki

[Welcome to the Kona Forum!!!

It was after a visit to Costco in Kona that my wife and I decided to move to the BI sooner than we had planned. While everyday expenses are some what comparable to where I used to live in SoCal you will find that all other expenses will be tremendously higher. For instance, want your car repaired? I own a 2005 Honda CRV. The fan behind the air conditioner condenser and radiator recently died. Cost for replacement? About $600 at the Honda dealer. It was $350 for the fan and $250 for the 2 hours of labor. The same part at the local NAPA Auto Parts was $185. And the same part on the mainland? $75. Labor costs are about the same or a little higher here. But the parts costs are 100% or more. Tires, beds, furniture, appliances, hazardous materials such as oil, cleaners and liquids of most sorts are MUCH higher here. And then there are Hawaii specific costs that can be high as well. For instance a lot of homes in Hawaii are so small that they force you to use a combo washer/dryer unit. Cheapest one on the island is about $1,300 with tax and delivery. Refrigerators rust out before they die in some areas of the island. As bad as HELCO is in being reliable you might want to buy a generator during those days that electricity is out (Another $1k plus). Automobiles are much more expensive. I can go on and on. Just be aware and don't be fooled by prices on everyday items.

Also, traffic in and out of (and through) Kona can be quite bad at certain times of the day. For instance, traffic in and out of Kona both north and south is bad during regular work rush hours. When the tourist season is at its peak every year the traffic in and through Kona can be quite maddening. There is only a 2 lane main road around the whole island. Have an accident and it can be hours before you can get through it. It may even block your route home. For instance a power pole fell during a bad storm. It blocked traffic for almost 8 hours before they could open up traffic. It occurred just east of where I lived. and less than than 14 miles from where I worked. They opened up to traffic about 3pm I left work at 6pm and it took me 2 hours to get home. My only other choices were to wait in Hilo Town or drive around the other side of the island for about 8 hours. We have bad traffic here as well. And we have fewer choices in going around problem areas. Just be aware not is all rosy and perfect here.

A lot of people get that trapped feeling or island fever. I got it the first year or so I was here. It can be quite overwhelming. Just keep in mind that 99% of your life you never drive more than a few miles from home any way. A lot of people cannot overcome that feeling and move back to the mainland. It is a real concern. At least on the BI it takes about 8 hours to drive all the way around with only minimal stops. There are plenty of things to see and do here. Just make sure you do what interests you.

Bad Mom? If you were leaving your underage children I would say yes you are a bad Mom. But they are full grown and on their own. And they moved away from you, right? It is your time now. You should be able to live your life the way you want it without fear of reprisal and guilt from your children. Also, just remember that the chances of your children coming to visit you in Hawaii are quite slim unless you pay for their trip. Most everyone here will tell you they receive very few visits, if any, from family once they moved. I can't speak about having good allergists on the BI but I believe you can find a good one on Oahu if you are willing and can afford to travel. If you think no one understands food allergies on Oahu I guarantee it is worse on the BI.

I don't know anything about beauty schools here. Maybe on Oahu? The University of Hawaii is an excellent school but I doubt they have that sort of subject manner. I believe it would be a good career for her here. But she may be better suited to graduate before you move.

I hope you take what I have said to heart and not let it stop you from doing what you want. I just don't want to paint a rosy picture of life here for you to find it not unlike where you moved from. I am not trying to discourage you. Just inform and enlighten you. My wife and I asked a lot of questions through forums like this one (Before I started this one) for many years before we made the decision to move. We made many trips and stayed in areas where people lived outside of Kona and Hilo proper. We knew what we were getting into and yet we have constantly been surprised. Even after the 5 years we have been here.

Keep us informed of what your plans are and let us know if you have any other questions.[/quote]

Thank you. I appreciate the honesty, all of it. I am super worried about the food allergy/allergist thing. Maybe I shouldn't be. But good to know that knowledge of it will be worse than Oahu. You are right on leaving my kids. The boys still love to hang out with us, so just tugs at my heart. They have said we need to go off and move wherever because "dad has worked so hard all these years", great kids. And we have that in our budget on helping the boys come visit. We have learned the painful truth, that no matter what state you live in, your friends and family in different states will not come and see you. period. unless you send them a free ticket.
Interesting on the traffic. I was wondering if it was only a two lane road around the island. So it's that way in Kona too? Well we can't decide anything until after we visit in January!
The main things I would look forward to living here are: the sun, warmth, the ocean, tropical plants, and fruit trees in your yard. Not so looking forward to: traveling to see my kids, keeping opened bags of food in the fridge (ha ha), my daughters not wanting to make a life there, no more road trips.
So thank you, we are counting the days till our vacation!
p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

pnan wrote:
Thank you. I appreciate the honesty, all of it. I am super worried about the food allergy/allergist thing. Maybe I shouldn't be. But good to know that knowledge of it will be worse than Oahu.

Google is your best friend. Search for "Allergists in Kona" and there are a couple of them. Much more on Oahu.

pnan wrote:
Interesting on the traffic. I was wondering if it was only a two lane road around the island. So it's that way in Kona too? Well we can't decide anything until after we visit in January!

Well, the roads through Kona are 2-4 lanes and in some places even 6. But it still narrows down to 2 in some areas through and right outside Kona proper. It really depends more on the time of the day and how many tourists are in town.[/quote]

pnan wrote:
The main things I would look forward to living here are: the sun, warmth, the ocean, tropical plants, and fruit trees in your yard. Not so looking forward to: traveling to see my kids, keeping opened bags of food in the fridge (ha ha), my daughters not wanting to make a life there, no more road trips.
So thank you, we are counting the days till our vacation!

As far as what you enjoy then you will love it here. But traveling to the mainland is something you may want to reconsider. Let's face it. Vegas is considered an island of Hawaii and getting homesick is always a possibility. So don't count out traveling. You are also close (sort of) to Japan, Australia and other parts of the Orient that you would have had to add a minimum of 5 hours to any trip to these places. No road trips? How can you explore and learn about the island and Hawaii culture if you won't take any road trips? You'll get island fever if you don't.

Have fun on your trip and let us know what you decide!!!! :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Dave, I guess you don't travel much to Japan, not to mention even further. That five hours would get you to the middle of the Pacific! Honolulu - Japan is 7 hours 40 minutes; Honolulu - Taiwan is 10 hours 20 minutes; and moving further on for an example Japan - Thailand 6 hours 50 minutes.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Dave, I guess you don't travel much to Japan, not to mention even further. That five hours would get you to the middle of the Pacific! Honolulu - Japan is 7 hours 40 minutes; Honolulu - Taiwan is 10 hours 20 minutes; and moving further on for an example Japan - Thailand 6 hours 50 minutes.

John,

You are right. I am not going to really start traveling until I retire. I don't really want to sit on a plane for more than 12-14 hours at a time.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 am 
Keiki

Dave, I just mean no more driving to another state... :lol: I love to travel, and will always do that! But it would be by plane from now on.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

pnan wrote:
Dave, I just mean no more driving to another state... :lol: I love to travel, and will always do that! But it would be by plane from now on.
Thanks!

Well it sounds like you would enjoy life here, then!!!

My wife and I plan to travel until we drop after we retire. I want to see Japan and Australia. My wife wants to see Spain and Portugal. We both want to go to D.C. and spend time at the Smithsonian and other U.S. related memorials plus we both want to travel through the New England states. Plus we have family in Israel. We will have the time and hopefully have the money to do it. Plus we plan to bring some of our family over for visits. I can't wait!!!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 pm 
Keiki

oh Israel is a place I've always dreamed of visiting! I love to take adventures, sounds like your plans are wonderful!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 pm 
Malihini

I used to live there and have lots of family and friends there. When we moved here one pointed out that Hawaii is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world from Israel! Couldn't get any farther away if I tried! I said it was nothing personal :)

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next