It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: VIDEO about living in hawaii
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 am 
Kona Kastoff

Hawaii has a reverse racism, if you have Oriental blood you have better chances to score a (good) job. Go to any county or government office, the only white thing you will find there is the walls. :lol: :lol: :lol: Regardless of race, if you are a high-powered executive with good connections than you should be OK. If you have skills that are high in demand than you should be OK. If you are an entrepreneur than you should be OK. I think that covers about 5% of the population. :lol: :lol: :lol: If you are a jack of all trades kind of person than you will be like most of the people here, working two-three jobs and struggling. :( :( :(

Last edited by John S. Rabi on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 am 
Keiki

My wife is 1/4 Japanese from Okanawa, but you wouldn't know from looking at her, so I don't think it will help her lol.. She graduated from UNC Chapel Hill with Honors in finance and has been in Private Equity, she is going to get her Series 7 before we come over, as she believes having that will put her ahead of most competition in banking on the island.

I am American Indian and Italian but no one can ever guess what I am, because my skin is not dark. I have been successful in sales management for over a decade, which I think would be a lot of opportunities anywhere in sales, but particularly a place with some tourism, my thought is the worst case scenario I would have to sell time shares and still be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 am 
Kona Kastoff

Oneself wrote:
My wife is 1/4 Japanese from Okanawa, but you wouldn't know from looking at her, so I don't think it will help her lol..
Don't tell this to any Okinawan, they don't consider themselves to be Japanese! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 am 
Keiki

Really, why is that ? Ive never heard Erin say such a thing...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Keiki

oh no wonder why, just clarified with her, her family is from Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
Hey Dave, I haven't been on that forum, I am a little scared now ! haha :lol:

Its interesting that your employer doesn't have any whites working there. From the research that me and Erin have been doing, reading company profiles on linkedin and company websites,checking staff photos etc... it actually seemed to me, much like it is here in South Florida, where those with degrees and good experience seemed to be white and management. That the uneducated seemed to be the main stream workers. What type of industry are you in ?

Seems like the racism is on par with the rest of the US...lol..

Actually, that forum might have some like minded people hanging around there. You just have to be on the lookout for those who are waiting for the right time to make trouble.

LinkedIn? Hawaiian companies? Are you sure these companies were not mainland companies with offices in Hawaii? Especially when you are talking about companies on the Big Island. They are lucky if they even have a computer! Think I'm kidding? There is much of the island that you cannot get Internet. Those people either get it through dial-up (Remember modems?), cell phones (But only if they can get a signal where they live), or satellite (Very expensive and slow). Most companies on the Big Island don't have websites. Most of the companies that I see on LinkedIn are either from the mainland with an office in Hawaii or are based out of Oahu or Maui. Like the company I work for is based out of Honolulu. Almost everyone has to have a degree to work there. And the starting salary for a civil engineer is about $30k-$35k. And don't let looking white fool you. Plenty 'o Port-o-gee ova here brudda. Look white, but not. My department head is mixed Japanese and she looks white. My clerk is Hawaiian-Samoan-Irish-Chinese and he looks white to me. I forgot the exact percentage but the state is made up of about 42% mixed ethnicities and only about 25% whites.

I am in the construction industry. I used to be in the commercial construction arena but now I am strictly in civil engineering and public works construction. I used to be a Building Inspector and now I am a Construction Inspector. I work with all types from general labor to skilled labor to government employees to engineers/architects to sales people to technical representatives to owners/presidents of companies. Very few Haoles in this industry. But, I will say, that the highest percentage of Haoles in this industry are in the technical and sales side of things. In other words mostly consultants. What I have noticed a lot here is that there many people here with degrees that work jobs that don't require a degree. Some are here because their desire to live here overrides their desire to work in the arena that they can use their degree in. For instance I just got a few proposals to put PV on my house. All the sales people except one had degrees. One had a chemical engineering degree. Another in some sort of computer science. And another was psychiatry or psychology. Funny thing was the chemical engineer was white and worked for a strictly local kine company. But the one salesman who was working for the mainland company came to my house in a t-shirt, shorts, slippas and spoke pidgin to me. I love Hawaii.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 pm 
Keiki

Yes, I should have cleared that up. Erin has been looking at Financial and banking companies that have stations in Hawaii. She believes there will be less income differential if she works for one of these companies with a referral from some of the bigwigs she knows, as most companies like that offer salaries based on the companies position and don't take much into account the location it is in the US. If your an analyst your an analyst, the wage is the same in Cali NYC FL or HI

Unlike here, where I make 2x as much as her now, she will be the breadwinner (hopefully) when we get to the island, so I can focus more time on my music and art. As the sales manager of a large volume Honda store, right now I work 6 days a week and cant do this much longer. Ive been doing this 12 years, if I only worked 40 hours a week would be a blessing!

We expect to simplify down to 1 car payment and a very modest home 200k or less. The way our target budget and goal is set up, we will be able to leave with no credit card debts or car payments, and about 40k in cash. Will have a monthly additional income of about 3-400 monthly from real estate to help us as well.

I think the plan is pretty solid, but I am sure so have many before me.

The ironic thing is, my friend Elijah moved there with 0 dollars and lived there for years. He slept on the beach in Kauai for a little while then he got a job and found a place. (Not my style) My ex GF Brianna lived in Maui for 4 years, she only went there with 4k and bought a little Jetta and waitressed. I figure if they did it with nothing, I should be ok with a plan....I have no children moving with me, just me and Erin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:
Yes, I should have cleared that up. Erin has been looking at Financial and banking companies that have stations in Hawaii. She believes there will be less income differential if she works for one of these companies with a referral from some of the bigwigs she knows, as most companies like that offer salaries based on the companies position and don't take much into account the location it is in the US. If your an analyst your an analyst, the wage is the same in Cali NYC FL or HI

Unlike here, where I make 2x as much as her now, she will be the breadwinner (hopefully) when we get to the island, so I can focus more time on my music and art. As the sales manager of a large volume Honda store, right now I work 6 days a week and cant do this much longer. Ive been doing this 12 years, if I only worked 40 hours a week would be a blessing!

We expect to simplify down to 1 car payment and a very modest home 200k or less. The way our target budget and goal is set up, we will be able to leave with no credit card debts or car payments, and about 40k in cash. Will have a monthly additional income of about 3-400 monthly from real estate to help us as well.

I think the plan is pretty solid, but I am sure so have many before me.

The ironic thing is, my friend Elijah moved there with 0 dollars and lived there for years. He slept on the beach in Kauai for a little while then he got a job and found a place. (Not my style) My ex GF Brianna lived in Maui for 4 years, she only went there with 4k and bought a little Jetta and waitressed. I figure if they did it with nothing, I should be ok with a plan....I have no children moving with me, just me and Erin.

So the BIG question is do the banking institutions have offices on the Big Island? If they do, Erin stands a good chance of catching on somewhere. But even if they do have an office on the Big Island, chances are if they are a mainland company then the analysts positions may be on Oahu or the mainland. And they may visit the Big Island. But not be based ON the Big Island. Just make sure the company and position she is pursuing is located on the Big Island. And, if it is then make sure the position is in Hilo and not Kona. And I would suggest she try to land the position BEFORE you guys move here. That would be nice. And with a mainland company it could be very doable.

Now your position is interesting. Why don't you pursue a position with a dealership? Auto industry jobs are one of those higher in demand sort of jobs. BTW, it is interesting to note that most of my friends and acquaintances have spouses that make a lot more than they do. Just something I find interesting here in Hawaii.

Your plan sounds quite solid to me as well. I hope it works out for you. It will be better if you buy a home rather than rent.

Your friend Elijah was on Kauai, not the Big Island? BIG difference bra. Employment is much easier on Kauai as there is much less local sentiment there. A lot more transplants and more of a mainland mentality. Combine that with a large percentage of resorts and hotels one should be able to make it there. Same goes for Maui and your ex GF. Much easier to find jobs there and less local prejudices. Each island is quite different with different personalities. If you told me you were trying to move to Oahu, Maui or to a lesser extent Kauai then I would say you have a better chance of making it on those islands. But you will find much more of what you said you are trying to get away from on those islands. Seems like a little bit of a conundrum. Just because your friend/ex could easily make it on those islands doesn't mean they could do it on the Big Island, Molokai or Lanai. You see the Big Island has a large population and a small amount of jobs. So for every job there are 40 or 50 people applying. And if a local is hiring they will probably give a local first shot at it.

You should still be okay with a plan but I would suggest you come and visit here a lot more and understand things a little better before you make the commitment. You should come and see what Hilo, Puna and Pahoa is like. Drive around HPP and do it during rush hour and see what you think. You may go running for the hills. Or you may love it more than you already do. I suggest you check out Mountain View and upper Puna and go down into lower Puna. You will see the good, the bad and the ugly. Oh, and check out what $200k is going to buy you. In person you may not see anything you like or want to put work into. And if you can talk to some people who live there they will be able to give you some insight to where the better areas in HPP are to live.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm 
Keiki

Thanks Dave.

We first originally were considering Kauai, but it seemed as rural as BI, I didn't think there would be anymore jobs there, then on the BI.

Its good that I am still 18-24 months out. I have lots to continue to research and lot of things can change in a market place in that amount of time.

Anyhow, mahalos for the feedback !

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2