It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: VIDEO about living in hawaii
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 am 
Keiki

If you go to http://www.islandbreezearts.com you can order a locally made dvd about topic of living here, thoughts about the future etc Check it out

Post subject: Re: VIDEO about living in hawaii
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm 
Malihini

oceandreamer58 wrote:
If you go to http://www.islandbreezearts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can order a locally made dvd about topic of living here, thoughts about the future etc Check it out

Sounds a little one sided to me. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 pm 
Malihini

Sales must be slow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:18 pm 
Keiki

haoleboy wrote:
Sales must be slow.

Never mind about my sales haole boy. How could you even call yourself that? Is this FISHMAN? From macuu mrket? I made some cash from my video I dont have to disclose and I dont need YOUR sarcasm. Speaking of. Cool it ok Im tryuing to not find argument .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

big_island_bound wrote:
oceandreamer58 wrote:
If you go to http://www.islandbreezearts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can order a locally made dvd about topic of living here, thoughts about the future etc Check it out

Sounds a little one sided to me. :roll:

It is one man's opinion. It is not that there are any great secrets that anyone with an Internet connection cannot find out. It is not that there is any problem living here. Let's face it though. Around 80%-90% of all people who move here will move back within a couple of years. It is due to any of one or many reasons. There is prejudice here. There are local bad people here. Drug users, thieves, etc. If you live around them you may not feel welcome here. There is prejudice here. If you let it get to you, you may not feel welcome here. There is a lot of poverty here. There is a lot of bad areas to not live in and stay out of. This is reality and occurs every where else in the US. There is nothing secretive nor special here that makes this a bad place to live. Unless you prefer to see and be affected by these things. It is not ignoring reality. Rather it is acknowledging it and dealing with it in the best way for you. I prefer to look over the few people who are trying to make things bad here and see the place the way it is. I bought in a decent area in Ocean View. Ocean View is known as a "bad" area. But the Ranchos (where my house is) is a much better area than the Estates. But most people don't either know or don't care there is a difference. And even though it is "desolate" as was stated in another post it is what I prefer.

You can buy the video that Frank has put out and see Hawaii through his eyes and/or you can post here for free and ask many people with many different opinions what they think of living here. Including Frank himself.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

oceandreamer58 wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
Sales must be slow.

Never mind about my sales haole boy. How could you even call yourself that? Is this FISHMAN? From macuu mrket? I made some cash from my video I dont have to disclose and I dont need YOUR sarcasm. Speaking of. Cool it ok Im tryuing to not find argument .

Cool down Frank. He can call himself whatever he wants and he is entitled to his opinion and sarcasm. It was not an attack, don't take it that way. If you can't take others opinions about your video don't post the link here. You are able to edit your posts any time.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
oceandreamer58 wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
Sales must be slow.

Cool down Frank. He can call himself whatever he wants and he is entitled to his opinion and sarcasm. It was not an attack, don't take it that way. If you can't take others opinions about your video don't post the link here. You are able to edit your posts any time.

Sorry Frank, I didn't know you were so sensitive.

I've been Haoleboy for years. As far as I know, you're the first one to have a problem with my name.

I could care less about how much you make from your video. Why should I?

I've never been to Macuu market, and I don't recall ever being called FISHMAN. I do enjoy fishing though. My friends at work call me the Po'oPa'a King!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 pm 
Malihini

Not trying to stir the pot up, but everybody has there reasons for moving there....some good, some not, and only time will tell if they made the right decision. Dave, I realize there is prejudice there..maybe twice as much(cause you said it twice!), but there is prejudice everywhere for some reason or another. I have lived in Florida almost my entire life and due to several personal tragedies in the past few years, i decided it was time to start over somewhere else. Had a couple brief stays on Oahu and the Big Island. For me, I have had a lot of time to realize the lifestyle change that comes with, the planning, research. I fell "in love" with the culture, history, and the Aloha spirit that I felt when I was there. Frank, I am sure there was a reason you moved there from Seattle, and a reason that keeps you there. Without seeing your video, maybe my opinion is premature. But from from a soon to be's transplant to the BI, first impressions from the advertising of your video on your website plus all the research I have already done, without knowing you, meeting you, or even knowing what you look like, would lead me to believe you are one of the locals I saw standing on the side of the road next to a banner touting "Go back home Haole!" Like it or not, I don't see Hawaii suceding anytime soon. The last I heard Billy Kenoi was mayor. I have also heard it takes a lot longer for Hawaii to keep in step with the rest of the nation. None of that crap really bothers me too much. It's the people that want to get in your face and shove it down your throat and expect you not to say anything. I come from a big Irish family....you would have to break my jaw to shut me up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Malihini

Some people will never be home here regardless of how long they have been here, and some people will fit right in. I guess Frank belongs to the first group. Too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 pm 
Malihini

[/quote]
Sorry Frank, I didn't know you were so sensitive.

I've been Haoleboy for years. As far as I know, you're the first one to have a problem with my name.

I could care less about how much you make from your video. Why should I?

I've never been to Macuu market, and I don't recall ever being called FISHMAN. I do enjoy fishing though. My friends at work call me the Po'oPa'a King![/quote]

So if you reset the hypens and add an H you get PooP aaH King. Not that I ever thought that just couldnt resist. Hawaii is a great place where people have too much time to think about how bad things are, or could be. The truely good ones just enjoy what life has and shines on the rest. Haoleboy I am looking to my next trip when we can continue the "party"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 am 
Keiki

I've been on a lot of different forums. This one, tends to be the most negative about Hawaii.

Put out negative, get negative. It wouldn't surprise me if some of you are getting hassled or seeing prejudice, the attitudes alone would attract it.

Love is love, peace is peace, hate is hate. Hawaii to NYC. I live in South Florida now, and am greatly out numbered by Spanish speaking people. I have never, had an issue with anyone being rude or racist. I guess you get what you put out.

I feel sorry for those that are miserable. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:25 am 
Kona Kastoff

Oneself wrote:
I've been on a lot of different forums. This one, tends to be the most negative about Hawaii.

Put out negative, get negative. It wouldn't surprise me if some of you are getting hassled or seeing prejudice, the attitudes alone would attract it.

Love is love, peace is peace, hate is hate. Hawaii to NYC. I live in South Florida now, and am greatly out numbered by Spanish speaking people. I have never, had an issue with anyone being rude or racist. I guess you get what you put out.

I feel sorry for those that are miserable. 8)

I wonder if you and I are reading the same forum? :o :o :o

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Oneself wrote:

Really? I've been on Puna Web for years strictly as an observer and I have seen much worse on that forum. And the Kona Web will delete any posts that are not in tune with the Aloha Spirit. So you don't get a real feel for what things are like on either extreme. I know most of the people on this forum and I honestly do not think anyone has an agenda to keep people away. I like to think we are more honest here.

Oneself wrote:

I can tell you that you don't need to be racist or prejudiced in order to see and experience it here. I hate to say this but after living in Hawaii now for 5 years I find it to be the most racist place I have ever lived. Even on Oahu where people are more aware of racism there is plenty. I am the only Haole in a 400+ employee international company. The company is over 30 years old. You would think in 30+ years they would have hired more than one Haole or two in that time. Yesterday my very good friend whom I work with started grumbling about some F&*@ing Haole that was giving him a hard time. I have never heard him say those words before. I will let you know if people saying the F#$%ing Haole words around you they don't consider you one. Unless they are directing it at you. The Hilo side was the worst I have seen. Just so you know neither my wife nor myself are racist or prejudiced in any way. Yet the prejudice just flowed towards us. Especially towards my wife who couldn't get a job in Hilo because she is the wrong race. I worked with 30+ locals who were all racist towards one race or another. This was on the Hilo side. They were not racist towards me (That I know of because I could get them fired) but let me know which races they didn't like. They all hated the Micronesians. It was pretty bad there.

Another example I experienced here. I was taking my cans and bottles to the recycling center. And this woman refused to wait her turn at a long line behind a stop sign. She cut off a couple of people and one guy yelled something at her. I thought it was funny and I laughed. She must have seen me laughing because she stopped right next to me and started calling me a F@#$ing Haole and to move back where I came from. Believe me it is everywhere here. As I said in my earlier posts it all depends who you associate with.

Everything I said is the exception and not the rule in my experience here. There are a lot more good people here than there are racist and prejudiced assholes. I have experienced the friendship and love from the people here and those are the ones I choose to associate with. Want to call it Aloha? Maybe it is. I do think that the people in general are more giving and nicer here than any where I have lived on the mainland. I wouldn't live any where else.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I have been a real estate broker for 20 years and I have seen more than my fair share of people moving here unprepared and with unrealistic expectations only to move back to the mainland. Therefore, I believe I am much more realistic with my posts because of the experience I have.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a very laid back person, I don't judge anyone and I really don't give a heaping poop about how others live their lives. If you live in a tent on your lot next to mine than be happy, just don't use my lot as your toilet. If you drive a 20 year old klunker that passed the safety inspection because your bruddah works at the gas station, it's fine with me, just don't hit my car. If your goat is your girlfriend I hope you are happy with her. Regardless, I have been called racist on Punaweb by some jerks. Of course they didn't know my wife is from a different race, so I can't be a racist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 am 
Keiki

Kona Dave wrote:
Oneself wrote:

Really? I've been on Puna Web for years strictly as an observer and I have seen much worse on that forum. And the Kona Web will delete any posts that are not in tune with the Aloha Spirit. So you don't get a real feel for what things are like on either extreme. I know most of the people on this forum and I honestly do not think anyone has an agenda to keep people away. I like to think we are more honest here.

Oneself wrote:

I can tell you that you don't need to be racist or prejudiced in order to see and experience it here. I hate to say this but after living in Hawaii now for 5 years I find it to be the most racist place I have ever lived. Even on Oahu where people are more aware of racism there is plenty. I am the only Haole in a 400+ employee international company. The company is over 30 years old. You would think in 30+ years they would have hired more than one Haole or two in that time. Yesterday my very good friend whom I work with started grumbling about some F&*@ing Haole that was giving him a hard time. I have never heard him say those words before. I will let you know if people saying the F#$%ing Haole words around you they don't consider you one. Unless they are directing it at you. The Hilo side was the worst I have seen. Just so you know neither my wife nor myself are racist or prejudiced in any way. Yet the prejudice just flowed towards us. Especially towards my wife who couldn't get a job in Hilo because she is the wrong race. I worked with 30+ locals who were all racist towards one race or another. This was on the Hilo side. They were not racist towards me (That I know of because I could get them fired) but let me know which races they didn't like. They all hated the Micronesians. It was pretty bad there.

Another example I experienced here. I was taking my cans and bottles to the recycling center. And this woman refused to wait her turn at a long line behind a stop sign. She cut off a couple of people and one guy yelled something at her. I thought it was funny and I laughed. She must have seen me laughing because she stopped right next to me and started calling me a F@#$ing Haole and to move back where I came from. Believe me it is everywhere here. As I said in my earlier posts it all depends who you associate with.

Everything I said is the exception and not the rule in my experience here. There are a lot more good people here than there are racist and prejudiced assholes. I have experienced the friendship and love from the people here and those are the ones I choose to associate with. Want to call it Aloha? Maybe it is. I do think that the people in general are more giving and nicer here than any where I have lived on the mainland. I wouldn't live any where else.

Hey Dave, I haven't been on that forum, I am a little scared now ! haha :lol:

Its interesting that your employer doesn't have any whites working there. From the research that me and Erin have been doing, reading company profiles on linkedin and company websites,checking staff photos etc... it actually seemed to me, much like it is here in South Florida, where those with degrees and good experience seemed to be white and management. That the uneducated seemed to be the main stream workers. What type of industry are you in ?

Seems like the racism is on par with the rest of the US...lol..

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next