It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moving to Hawaii from Colorado
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm 
Kama

Aloha,
We are planning on a move to the Big Island, hopefully with in a year. We are from Colorado, and own our own business. I am a custom integrator and I specialize in home automation. We are planning on bringing the business to the island and I have two close friends already over there trying to help promote the business. We have been to the island before, so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for us on getting our business set up. I am an entrepreneur at heart, so hard work and drive will not be a problem. The only issue will be making the right contacts and getting the word out as to what we do. Any words of wisdom is welcomed.
Mahalo,
Jim

Post subject: Re: Moving to Hawaii from Colorado
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Maximus wrote:
Aloha,
We are planning on a move to the Big Island, hopefully with in a year. We are from Colorado, and own our own business. I am a custom integrator and I specialize in home automation. We are planning on bringing the business to the island and I have two close friends already over there trying to help promote the business. We have been to the island before, so we have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for us on getting our business set up. I am an entrepreneur at heart, so hard work and drive will not be a problem. The only issue will be making the right contacts and getting the word out as to what we do. Any words of wisdom is welcomed.
Mahalo,
Jim

Aloha Jim,

Home automation? Not sure if there is much of a demand for that on the Big Island but I certainly could be wrong. I know that the local cable company just started pushing a home automation package recently for something like $35/mo. I wish you a lot of luck in getting your business started and going over here. If it is going to catch on it will be in the Kona area I would think. Let us know how things work out for you.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:09 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Make it legit. Register it with the DCCA, get a GET license, have an office in an appropriately zoned location, and start marketing.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm 
Kama

Kona Dave wrote:
Aloha Jim,

Home automation? Not sure if there is much of a demand for that on the Big Island but I certainly could be wrong. I know that the local cable company just started pushing a home automation package recently for something like $35/mo. I wish you a lot of luck in getting your business started and going over here. If it is going to catch on it will be in the Kona area I would think. Let us know how things work out for you.

The Kona area is the area we are looking at as the best possible area. Don't get me wrong, the cable company is offering something that they call "home automation" but nowhere to the level we do. We can centralize the entire video content for a residence to a single rack enclosure and allow every TV to access all content at any given time, i.e BluRay players, HDTV boxes, Media Servers, etc. We also integrate the lighting, whole home audio, HVAC, security and we do custom theaters too. We can keep people connected to their homes from anywhere in the world. We offer Crestron control which is the leader in the automation market. I have one associate in Naalehu, and one in Paradise Park. Hopefully we will make some things happen, if not, at least I know I tried. Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 pm 
Kama

John S. Rabi wrote:
Make it legit. Register it with the DCCA, get a GET license, have an office in an appropriately zoned location, and start marketing.

Thanks John, I have all the paperwork for getting my low voltage license in Hawaii and hopefully I have the forms I need too. I am definitely going all in and making sure to do things the right way and get licensed and registered with the state. It seems to be a long and lengthy process over there. One of my associates is in Naalehu and the other is in Paradise Park. I am not sure if those areas are appropriate for a office location, I hope so... I do have one flyer I created and I am ready to send it over. I think my biggest weakness is the waiting game. I am ready to get rolling right away, but I am sure it would be wise to wait on all the paperwork to get filed and approved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:11 am 
Site Admin

Maximus wrote:
Kona Dave wrote:
Aloha Jim,

The Kona area is the area we are looking at as the best possible area. Don't get me wrong, the cable company is offering something that they call "home automation" but nowhere to the level we do. We can centralize the entire video content for a residence to a single rack enclosure and allow every TV to access all content at any given time, i.e BluRay players, HDTV boxes, Media Servers, etc. We also integrate the lighting, whole home audio, HVAC, security and we do custom theaters too. We can keep people connected to their homes from anywhere in the world. We offer Crestron control which is the leader in the automation market. I have one associate in Naalehu, and one in Paradise Park. Hopefully we will make some things happen, if not, at least I know I tried. Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it. :)

WOW! Your automation capabilities are WAAAAY beyond what the cable company is providing. I have to change my mind about your business. You are setting yourself beyond the competition so I think you'll stand a good chance of making it here. As John said, being legit and marketing will be the key to your success. When you have a chance I would like to see your website with your capabilities and offerings.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 am 
Kama

Kona Dave wrote:
WOW! Your automation capabilities are WAAAAY beyond what the cable company is providing. I have to change my mind about your business. You are setting yourself beyond the competition so I think you'll stand a good chance of making it here. As John said, being legit and marketing will be the key to your success. When you have a chance I would like to see your website with your capabilities and offerings.

Thanks, I hope we can offer something for everyone there. My website is http://www.maximus-control.com. I have a flyer that I can share with you too. I can email it to you if you would like. We are planning on setting up a physical location on the Big Island, but our long term goal is to service all the islands.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 am 
Kona Kastoff

Maximus wrote:
John S. Rabi wrote:
Thanks John, I have all the paperwork for getting my low voltage license in Hawaii and hopefully I have the forms I need too. I am definitely going all in and making sure to do things the right way and get licensed and registered with the state. It seems to be a long and lengthy process over there. One of my associates is in Naalehu and the other is in Paradise Park. I am not sure if those areas are appropriate for a office location, I hope so... I do have one flyer I created and I am ready to send it over. I think my biggest weakness is the waiting game. I am ready to get rolling right away, but I am sure it would be wise to wait on all the paperwork to get filed and approved.
You can register your business and get a GET license at http://businessregistrations.com but I don't know what other license(s) you will need. Neither locations are suitable as a business address. In fact, it would be illegal in HPP since it's an ag subdivision. You can file for a Special Use Permit but it's a lengthy process. Naalehu has commercial zoned properties, but it's very isolated. You might want to look at getting a virtual business address. E-mail me privately and I give you more info.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Malihini

Naalehu is NOT a good location for setting up an office. I'm sure your associate there can tell you what Naalehu is like. I live there and it is very very rural and mostly poor. There may be a handful of people in the whole South Point area who would be interested in what you have to offer. Good luck with your move and your new business!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:49 am 
Kama

Babette wrote:
Naalehu is NOT a good location for setting up an office. I'm sure your associate there can tell you what Naalehu is like. I live there and it is very very rural and mostly poor. There may be a handful of people in the whole South Point area who would be interested in what you have to offer. Good luck with your move and your new business!

I totally agree and understand that Naalehu would not be our target clientele. My company doesn't require a storefront nor are we retail sellers. We would basically just need an address to do business. We are located in southern Colorado now, but nearly all our work is either up north in Denver or outside the state. So traveling is not a problem, I expect the same there. I was thinking about having a good base location with access to both Hilo and Kona. I do know there are quite a few companies flying from the mainland and offering what we do on the Kona side. The big problem with that, is there isn't local representation there. I am looking at bringing a local presence there to help accommodate people and businesses better. A lot of what we do is residential and commercial based. Hopefully it will work out, I am at least going to give it my all. Mahalo to everyone on here you has given there input, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:45 pm 
Malihini

Babette wrote:

Babette,
I would agree that Naalehu isn't the best choice but I wouldn't call the people there poor. They are rich and don't know it. I have family there so I have a hard opinion. (sol & rivera)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm 
Malihini

There is a lot of poverty from a monetary standpoint. Yes, it is rich in natural resources, but not a great place to start up a new business. A lot of jobs evaporated when the sugar industry left. I live here and also have a "hard opinion".

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]