It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shipping or buying a vehicle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Local1guy wrote:
I might just rent a vehicle for those 4WD dive sites on the occasions I would want one.
That would be a very bad idea since none of the rent-a-car companies allow you to take their cars, including the four-wheel drive ones, off the paved roads. Some even forbid you to drive on Saddle Road and South Point Road, even though both are paved.

Oh boy! Here we go again!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:29 am 
Malihini

Everyday diving! Good for you, but that car is going to get a funky smell and rust if you are throwing wet and salty dive gear inside everyday. Not to mention the smell of your catch.

Dr. Haoleboy prescribes a truck for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
Listen to the Doctor and take your meds now :!: :) :) :)

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
Everyday diving! Good for you, but that car is going to get a funky smell and rust if you are throwing wet and salty dive gear inside everyday. Not to mention the smell of your catch.

That's a great point! Rust and smell. No wonder those Subaru Baja's (Also known as the Brat) are so popular on the BI. I am surprised they stopped making those.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am 
I do appreciate all the feedback. Having lived in NYC for thirty plus years, I only owned a car for some of those years, so lots of things I don't know about cars and trucks.

John you are correct about the rental companies policy. That said, people take their vehicles off road all the time and the rental folks have admitted this to me. I've had friends who off road almost as much as on road during a vacation trip. Thankfully only on allowed roads, or so they say. Unless the rental companies are able to check, you feel the need to fess up, or you break it, nobody seems to care. Just more red tape.

I doubt we'll be diving every day Dave, probably more like every other day or three days a week. When conditions are excellent in the Winter we to tend to try and take advantage of weather that may be gone tomorrow. We also stay down a long time, usually around 100 minutes, so we have many more hours UW than dives. We are pretty compulsive about rinsing and cleaning our gear, so I am not expecting a stinky car.

We may well have a truck in our future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Local1guy wrote:
I do appreciate all the feedback. Having lived in NYC for thirty plus years, I only owned a car for some of those years, so lots of things I don't know about cars and trucks.

John you are correct about the rental companies policy. That said, people take their vehicles off road all the time and the rental folks have admitted this to me. I've had friends who off road almost as much as on road during a vacation trip. Thankfully only on allowed roads, or so they say. Unless the rental companies are able to check, you feel the need to fess up, or you break it, nobody seems to care. Just more red tape.

I doubt we'll be diving every day Dave, probably more like every other day or three days a week. When conditions are excellent in the Winter we to tend to try and take advantage of weather that may be gone tomorrow. We also stay down a long time, usually around 100 minutes, so we have many more hours UW than dives. We are pretty compulsive about rinsing and cleaning our gear, so I am not expecting a stinky car.

If you are concerned about ride, I can tell you from experience that Toyota Tacoma and Chevy 1/2 truck ride better than the Nissan Frontier and Ford F150 respectively. I have a bad back and test drove those trucks before I bought my Tacoma.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 am 
Thanks Dave I might try that Chevy. I find fron past experience that Toyotas are made for little people who want to feel big, so if you are already big, like me, not so good. And I'd like to get something my wife could drive without Elton John Shoes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 am 
Malihini

Local1guy wrote:

How do you rinse your gear at the dive spots you have to off road to get to? Do you carry jugs or buckets of fresh water? Seems like a PITA.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 pm 
Haoleboy we do one of three things. We return to the dive shop and rinse in their bucket, we go down to the dock at Kawaihae and rinse our stuff on the dock, or we go back to our condo and rinse outside. The dive shop is easiest and our default as we usually are returning empty tanks anyway. We already have a Rubbermaid rectangular bucket we can rinse in, and we have a small bucket of water in the car for our camera and dive computers, compass, etc. :drunken:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Local1guy wrote:
Thanks Dave I might try that Chevy. I find fron past experience that Toyotas are made for little people who want to feel big, so if you are already big, like me, not so good. And I'd like to get something my wife could drive without Elton John Shoes.

I'm a big guy and I find the Tacoma has lots of room and is comfortable for me. JMHO

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm 
Malihini

Local1guy wrote:
Haoleboy we do one of three things. We return to the dive shop and rinse in their bucket, we go down to the dock at Kawaihae and rinse our stuff on the dock, or we go back to our condo and rinse outside. The dive shop is easiest and our default as we usually are returning empty tanks anyway. We already have a Rubbermaid rectangular bucket we can rinse in, and we have a small bucket of water in the car for our camera and dive computers, compass, etc. :drunken:

Just seems to me that it would be easier to throw your gear, rinsed or not, into the back of a truck. I usually carry a couple gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid. It never fails to slosh some out on the rough sections. Lucky I drive a P.O.S. car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 pm 
Malihini

Oops. I just read the other thread and see that you have a condo in Waikaloa Village.

A new Subaru would be perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm 
Malihini

haoleboy wrote:
Local1guy wrote:

Just seems to me that it would be easier to throw your gear, rinsed or not, into the back of a truck. I usually carry a couple gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid. It never fails to slosh some out on the rough sections. Lucky I drive a P.O.S. car.

Not wanting to upset you Haoleboy but your ride is not a P.O.S. It is a fine vehicle with lots of "Speriance". You don't need fancy cloths and rich friends to drive it. Nothing wrong with that at all. Besides I may need it to pull my sorry 2WD out so I don't want you thinking negative thoughts.

Dave ! Toyota really??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Too each his own. I have a superduty Ford turbo Diesel here in WA. I just love it but it takes a football field to turn it around not ideal for tight off road trails.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Time4Family wrote:
Dave ! Toyota really??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Too each his own. I have a superduty Ford turbo Diesel here in WA. I just love it but it takes a football field to turn it around not ideal for tight off road trails.

Hey my Toyota Taco was built in CA and has 70% Amurican parts in it. Your Ford (Found on Road Dead :D :D :D ) was built in Kentucky and has 75% Amurican Parts in it. Your truck is almost as foreign as mine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, first trucks I looked at were US vehicles. I needed and could only afford a used small/mid size truck. So my choices were the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon which just happens to be one of the worst POS ever produced by GM. And the Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota were discontinued and were hard to find. I was looking for a used truck that was not beat to crap. And I honestly could not find one at all in SoCal. I looked for 3+ weeks. I almost gave up. I was on a Toyoa lot looking at a beat up Ranger when the Toyota dealer that was selling it offered to sell me a brand new Tacoma for the same price. I was looking to pay $18k and got it for $18k out the door. End of story.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm 
Malihini

I shouldn't say it but I think the Tacoma is a nice truck. A tad small to pull a 12,000# load but nice.

The Tundra is Butt Ugly. My last boss had one and it was nice inside but man the outside was ungly. Oh I already said that.

You know I didn't play the American made card right. I think we should do all we can to keep jobs here but honestly the UAW has done more to hurt that than you or I can fix.

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next