It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shipping or buying a vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:56 pm 
Malihini

Time4Family wrote:
That cost seems reasonable.

We are looking to ship our BMW convertable over because it rains so much here we rarey use it. It cost $1072 to get it to Hilo from california and another $1300 to ship it from Seattle to California. So from Misouri that looks like a good price.

Time, Why wouldn't you ship from Seattle or Tacoma. I've shipped 2 cars once from Seattle Matson and once from Harizon in Tacoma, Both of them were about the same at $1072 I believe. Pretty easy on both of them too. You don't have to ship to CA.

Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am 
Malihini

I didn't see Seattle as an option on their web site. I'll have to look closer. THX!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
Kama

Try Pasha Hawaii. I shipped my Land Rover with Pasha last July, $1700 to drop at a terminal in Dallas, TX and pick up in Hilo. They have a St Louis, MO terminal also.
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm 
Malihini

Time4Family wrote:
I didn't see Seattle as an option on their web site. I'll have to look closer. THX!

http://matson.com/pov/ - Matson's website - shipped out of Harbor Island Seattle delivered to Hilo

shipmyvehicle.com - Horizon's site - shipped from Tacoma delivered to Kawaihae or Hilo

Good Luck

Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Malihini

StevetoKona wrote:
Try Pasha Hawaii. I shipped my Land Rover with Pasha last July, $1700 to drop at a terminal in Dallas, TX and pick up in Hilo. They have a St Louis, MO terminal also.
Good luck

I think we'll go ahead and get a quote from Pasha too, thanks for the info. The only difference with the Kona Car Guy is he'll pick up from our home and he'll have our vehicle delivered to Kona from Hilo also. We'll see though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am 
Aloha Fellow Users,

We have been trying to decide on a car to purchase when we move to the BI. We usually rent a Jeep Wrangler 4 door, but we've come to realize it's not actually easy to get in and out of for either of us or anybody else, and not all that comfy a drive.

I've been looking hard at the Subaru Forester; a good car for both tall and short people to operate and get in and out of, and a nice ride. There seem to be a lot of them on the island, though apparently no official dealer ( I know BI motors carries them.). I am tending towards getting a 2013 Turbo, because I feel I would want the power for hills. An acquaintance referred to his non turbo Forester as being "pretty good when it's flat"

I do plan to do some off roading to get to the more esoteric dive sites I've heard of. I am thinking the Forester might be just the thing. But nobody seems to carry the turbo. I would have to order it at BI Motors, no idea how long that might take, or buy one on the mainland and ship it.

So I am open to any and all advice; my spouse is 5'2", I'm 6'4".

Seb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I can't help you with vehicle choice. But if you check the prices you will probably find that it is cheaper to make a good deal on the mainland and ship it here.

Just realize that if there is no official dealership for Subaru there is a chance they could close their doors and you will no longer have a warranty provider unless you ship it to Oahu. Just look at what happened to the Chevy dealer. It took a long time before GM started providing warranty service after the dealer went under.

You may want to consider a second vehicle choice before you make your final decision.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
I talked to BI Motors they are not a North American Dealer but are a real auth. Subaru dealer and around since 1990. The sales manager said it would not be hard to order a vehicle to be delivered to Kona. They are making so few 2013 models I'll end up with a 2014 by time I get on island.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I think you would be better off with a small/medium SVU. The Subaru doesn't have much clearance and while I don't know what four-wheel drive places you want to go to, most of those that need four-wheel drive are private properties that you shouldn't go to anyway.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 pm 
Malihini

We use our high clearance four wheel drive Mitsubishi for driving off-road. Not sure where you plan on going, but there are several places down here near South Point that are NOT private property and you need higher clearance than you'll get with the Subaru. There are also a couple of neat roads on Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea that are open to the public that your Subby couldn't handle.

What "hills" do you need power for? The only one I can think of is Mauna Kea; how often do you plan to go up there?

Agree to buying on the mainland and shipping over. You've got much more variety of choice and price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
Aloha Guys,

John the Forester is listed as a small SUV, and has ground clearance of 8.9" which seemed pretty good to me. I want a vehicle that is comfortable for tall and short drivers, that we can easily scuba dive out of, which is sort of how I settled on the Forester. I'm not yet married to it, but it's at the top of the list thus far.

I will be living up north in Waikoloa, and there certainly seems to be plenty of hills up there and towards Hawi or Waimea.

I have no idea where we might be going that we would need a 4WD, but friends have told me I will want 4WD for the dive sites off the beaten track. I'm not planning on trespassing, and tearing up the earth isn't something I'm interested in doing.

Babette, which Mitsubishi do you have? I looked up the Outlander and it has 8.5" ground clearance.

Basically I did several searches on cars good for tall and short drivers, and pretty much the only SUV that came up on both lists was the Forester.

Thanks for the feedback.

Seb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 am 
Malihini

Subarus are fairly popular here, but if you really plan on going off road, it's not a very good choice. You really need 4 wheel drive and a little more ground clearance. The roads to the dive sites are typically rutted up with stones protruding too. You need a low range to poke your way thru slow without busting something up. And with only 8 inches of clearance it would be really easy to slide into a hole and get high centered. I also think you are overestimating your need for horsepower, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 am 
Aloha and thanks Haoleboy.

I base my desire for horsepower on anecdotal evidence from a fellow diver who lives above Kona. He felt the non turbo was very annoying to drive, though fine when it's flat. The screaming tach was his big objection, and the need to use the shifter to avoid it.

And frankly, I'm looking for a nice to drive car that is easy to get in and out of for me and my wife, and good for everyday diving. ( Yes, diving not driving.) I may consider just going straight to a truck if I can find a size(s) appropriate one.

I might just rent a vehicle for those 4WD dive sites on the occasions I would want one.

Consumer Reports suggests the Ford Flex, Honda Odyssey, and Forester, tho they show differing Trim models for tall and short drivers. But of the three the Forester has the best gas mileage,the best price point, and sounds like the best drive and ride. I see a lot of them on the island. The 2013 now have switches for automatic off roading and downhil driving. But I have no desire to end up stuck way off road.

From the Consumer reports, http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012 ... tYear=2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course if we need to haul a boat all this may change :drunken:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:53 am 
Kona Kastoff

Local1guy wrote:
I might just rent a vehicle for those 4WD dive sites on the occasions I would want one.
That would be a very bad idea since none of the rent-a-car companies allow you to take their cars, including the four-wheel drive ones, off the paved roads. Some even forbid you to drive on Saddle Road and South Point Road, even though both are paved.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Admin

I was always under the impression that a turbo charger was not the right choice for offroading. A supercharger is supposed to be a better choice. But with that said I agree with Haoleboy. Horsepower is not as important as ground clearance and low end gearing.

I have many friends on the BI that fish. Not dive. And they all talk about their favorite fishing spots and needing 4 wheel drive to get to them. And none of them drive car based 4 wheel drive. They all drive truck based 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next