It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shipping or buying a vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:15 pm 
Malihini

Todd wrote:
Quote:
We recently had a serious discussion at work regarding the practice of hitting pigs on the road. The majority opinion was that it is a good idea if it can be safely done. The majority of the meat is usually not bruised and can be salvaged.

By the time you pay for the body repair it will probably be the most expensive pig you've ever had.

We drive some pretty rough rigs around here. Pigs beware! :) :) :)

Aloha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Todd wrote:
Quote:
I've actually been thinking of replacing my Land Rover with one.
Don't. There is no other SUV that drives like a Landie! (I absolutely loved mine until the stealth electrical problems started.)

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:55 pm 
Malihini

Wow, definitely sounds like we'll be looking for our new vehicle on the mainland and shipping it over. We already have a 1.5 year old...don't need a goat smelling things up too.

We kinda wondered about the "tourist" look of a Jeep so if we get one we'd definitely add our own personal touches to make it look for local. DH even considered a nice piece of duct tape on the soft top to "fix" a tear. As for modifications, DH is very mechanically inclined with vehicles and it wouldn't be a problem for him to make changes as necessary.

DH checked with Enterprise and they won't give him any information in advance about vehicles for sale and they just told him he'd have to watch the website like everyone else. We do get a nice discount, and it would be helpful if one became available, but we'll just have to watch.

A pig on the hood...I like how you think Dave :thumbright:

I agree they do handle pretty well, yes kinda noisy, but so is DH's current Nissan Titan as far as I'm concerned.

So, we haven't decided yet, but thank you for all of the input! We also haven't decided on one or two vehicles and while looking I came across this little beauty I'd like to have:

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/car/1 ... T_Sedan_4D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Honu0612 wrote:
...So, we haven't decided yet, but thank you for all of the input! We also haven't decided on one or two vehicles and while looking I came across this little beauty I'd like to have:

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/car/1 ... T_Sedan_4D

Nice car! I am partial to the new retro cars (Charger, Camaro, Mustang). Though if I ever decided to buy one it will have a HEMI!!! :D :D :D

Make sure you drive the Jeep a little bit before you decide on it. I rented a Jeep a few times when traveling for a company I worked for in San Jose. I really didn't like it because of the ride. It was the 2dr Jeep though with the shorter wheelbase. It bucked and bounced and was harsh including jarring my kidneys. Just make sure you can live with it before you buy it.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 pm 
Malihini

This may seem like a small thing but before you buy any car get in the back seat and have someone drive you around. When we were in Kauai our friends rented a 2010 Dodge Charger. We drove all over the Island (at least where there were roads) I was in the back seat and I couldn't see a thing. The back windows were too small and the front seats had head rests that blocked any forward view. If you think that it is no big deal then you need to remeber that when friends come visit they are going to want you to show them around. If they can't see out they are not going to understand why you chose to live here.

Also Island roads are not straight and kids can get car sick if they can't see out. (at least mine did)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:58 pm 
Malihini

We'll definitely drive different options until we figure out what we want. Sitting in the back seat is a smart idea too. There's a car show here in Jan so we'll wait until at least then so we can check out all the vehicles in one place and then test drive whatever we like. DH is always an issue because he is 6'5" and does not fit comfortably in most cars. He has a 4 door Nissan Titan now and still sometimes thinks he wants to just keep it and ship it over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 pm 
Malihini

Honu0612 wrote:
We'll definitely drive different options until we figure out what we want. Sitting in the back seat is a smart idea too. There's a car show here in Jan so we'll wait until at least then so we can check out all the vehicles in one place and then test drive whatever we like. DH is always an issue because he is 6'5" and does not fit comfortably in most cars. He has a 4 door Nissan Titan now and still sometimes thinks he wants to just keep it and ship it over.

There is a lot to be said for a truck.
Last year an old friend with his two boys came to visit. My good wife spent plenty of time driving us around the island. Four fools and a cooler in the bed of a truck!
The simple pleasures are best. :)

Aloha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:35 pm 
Malihini

haoleboy wrote:
Honu0612 wrote:

There is a lot to be said for a truck.
Last year an old friend with his two boys came to visit. My good wife spent plenty of time driving us around the island. Four fools and a cooler in the bed of a truck!
The simple pleasures are best. :)

Aloha

He really does like his truck...maybe for money sake we'll keep it and ship it over and get something later if we decide on a 2nd vehicle that will get better gas mileage. Decisions, decisions...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am 
Kama

I'm new here. My partner and I are considering a move to Hawaii. Actually, he's the one wanting to move. I'm the one dragging my feet. I mean, Hawaii's nice and all, but I have doubts about moving THAT far. Maybe I'm just speaking out of my ignorance. My question is, how do you get a car shipped to the islands? Do you use long distance movers for everything? Or are there separate car shippers?

Last edited by ccraiggnelson on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 am 
Kona Kastoff

ccraiggnelson wrote:
I'm new here. My partner and I are considering a move to Hawaii. Actually, he's the one wanting to move. I'm the one dragging my feet. I mean, Hawaii's nice and all, but I have doubts about moving THAT far. Maybe I'm just speaking out of my ignorance. My question is, how do you get a car shipped to the islands? Do you use long distance movers for everything? Or are there separate car shippers?
Pasha, Matson and Horizon ship cars to Hawaii.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

ccraiggnelson wrote:

Welcome to the Kona Forum!!!

It is hard to move this far. It is hard to live here. If you are not really into it you may get what we call island fever and go back to the mainland. So many people come here and leave within the first year or two. So I wish you a lot of luck with your move.

If you have one company pack your container and ship it and unpack it you will require an international shipper. You will save a lot of money if you call Matson or Young Brothers and have them deliver a container to your house and you pack your stuff. Then they will come pick it up and deliver it to your door on the island.

John recommended the car shippers to you. I used Pasha when I moved my cars here and they were very good.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:04 pm 
Malihini

We got our new car today! It's a 2012 Nissan Xterra and we're both VERY happy with it as we'll be sharing one car. Our Daughter likes it too since the back seat sits higher than my last car and she can now see outside much better from her carseat.

We got a quote from Kona Car Guy to ship it for $2,095 from our house in MO to Kona. Does that seem reasonable or do you think we should get other quotes? From what we have heard that is about what people are paying.

Attachments:
Xterra.jpg
Xterra.jpg [ 226.97 KiB | Viewed 2479 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 pm 
Malihini

That cost seems reasonable.

We are looking to ship our BMW convertable over because it rains so much here we rarey use it. It cost $1072 to get it to Hilo from california and another $1300 to ship it from Seattle to California. So from Misouri that looks like a good price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

When we moved in 2008 it cost us $1,000 per vehicle from SoCal. I suggest that you save a grand or so and take a driving trip to SoCal. Then drop it off. :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:49 am 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
When we moved in 2008 it cost us $1,000 per vehicle from SoCal. I suggest that you save a grand or so and take a driving trip to SoCal. Then drop it off. :) :) :)
Not necessarily needed, PASHA has drop off points outside of CA too. I shipped a car from NE to WA for $400 last year, and paid PASHA $1,100 to ship it to HI. (Their quote for the whole was almost $2,000.)

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next