It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Shipping or buying a vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:29 pm 
Malihini

So, DH and I have been discussing what we want to do for a vehicle in HI. We're planning to try and make it with just one vehicle and are considering a soft top 4 door Jeep Wrangler. DH works for Enterprise and can get a nice employee discount so probably worth it to buy here and have it shipped. But is that really the vehicle we want? And can we get it cheap enough here to cover the cost of shipping? Are they available to purchase on the BI? A 2010 would cost us about $22,000. Any thoughts welcome!

Post subject: Re: Shipping or buying a vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:21 pm 
Malihini

What are you looking for in a vehicle? Any reason that you would specifically want a Jeep Wrangler? Where is the "here" that you would be shipping from? Shipping from the West Coast costs $1075.

When I Googled "jeep dealer Hawaii" the only thing I found on the Kona side was the Kona Auto Center, which is a franchise dealer. I guess you could look at the inventory on their website and see their prices to compare.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Malihini

We are looking for a car in Kona. We think we have found one and are negotiating. I can tell you that the cars here are "rough" compared to the mainland. The salesman made a comment I will not soon forget. When we were looking at a 2005 SUV and it was trashed inside. He said you know the people here have been known to haul their goats inside their vehicles. I don't know about you but I had no idea. If you are looking for a newer one your chances are better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:06 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Don't buy a Jeep, it's not functional here unless you do some serious modifications for real off road use. (Only tourists drive Jeeps here.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with John on this. I think a Jeep would be overkill unless you plan on doing major offroading. What I will recommend would be a utility vehicle of some sort. If you plan to stay pretty much on the paved roads and minor dirt roads such as driveways then you will only need a car of some sort. But if you plan to do some exploring around the island and take supplies with you and maybe drive on a dirt road such as the road to Southpoint I would suggest something with a little extra ground clearance. I have to say that the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 are small but well laid out crossover type vehicles. They are car based like the CRV is based on the Accord and the CRV is based on the Camry if my memory is correct. They carry a lot of stuff. They are comfortable, stable, have plenty of extra ground clearance and you can fit 4-5 people in them comfortably. Plus if you are concerned about gas mileage my wife gets up to 27mpg with her CRV as the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder is the only engine available. You can get a 6 cylinder in the RAV4. There are other small crossover vehicles from Hyundai and Kia and Mazda. Ford makes the Escape as well which isn't too bad. They are more like station wagons with ground clearance.

My wife and I lived on the Puna side for almost 2 years and my wife had to have the extra ground clearance in order to get to her volunteer workplace during and after a big rain. But she didn't need 4WD. I drove some dirt and gravel roads that one needed extra clearance with such as the road to the shooting range. My 2WD Toyota Tacoma truck was exactly what I needed as I had to haul trash and other things quite often.

To sum up I feel that the ground clearance is more useful on the island than 4WD would be. JMHO

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:37 pm 
Malihini

My $.02:
Most people in Kona don't need 4wd.
In Hamakua, you are wiser if you have 4wd.
90% of the wranglers on the island are rentals and everyone knows they are.
If you are comfortable doing your own wrenching, a late 90's XJ will serve you well and you will fit right in.
If you are not so mechanical, get a tacoma.

The mainland used car pool is much bigger and better than Hawaii's.

Aloha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
My $.02: Most people in Kona don't need 4wd. In Hamakua, you are wiser if you have 4wd.
Correct, that's what I should have said. Same for South Kona, Kau and Puna.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
The mainland used car pool is much bigger and better than Hawaii's.

Aloha

Good point! This is exactly what we did. We bought on the mainland, got exactly what we wanted and brought it over. Got good deals on everything as well. More than made up for the extra $1k for shipping them over. I will consider doing the same thing again when the time comes.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:27 pm 
Malihini

You said your husband works for Enterprise. I know the Enterprise fleet in Hawaii has at least a few 4 door Wranglers. Before you have one shipped over you might get on the phone and find out how close they are to letting them go. As far as I can see the main disadvantage to a 4 door Wrangler is the inability to secure it. It has many advantages of having a small truck and the advantages of a 4 door as well as the advantages of an off road vehicle. Granted you will not do any hard core 4 wheeling without some upgrades, but I really don't think it is a bad choice. I can understand why you'd want one on the island and they are a pretty decent vehicle. A soft top can be a little noisy but it not like you'll be taking long road trips. A Jeep is a Jeep and there really isn't another vehicle like it. So if that is what you want, I'd say go for it.

Todd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:08 am 
Malihini

Todd wrote:
You said your husband works for Enterprise. I know the Enterprise fleet in Hawaii has at least a few 4 door Wranglers. Before you have one shipped over you might get on the phone and find out how close they are to letting them go. As far as I can see the main disadvantage to a 4 door Wrangler is the inability to secure it. It has many advantages of having a small truck and the advantages of a 4 door as well as the advantages of an off road vehicle. Granted you will not do any hard core 4 wheeling without some upgrades, but I really don't think it is a bad choice. I can understand why you'd want one on the island and they are a pretty decent vehicle. A soft top can be a little noisy but it not like you'll be taking long road trips. A Jeep is a Jeep and there really isn't another vehicle like it. So if that is what you want, I'd say go for it.

And if you get one, put some stickers on it or something to show it's not a rental. :)

Aloha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
And if you get one, put some stickers on it or something to show it's not a rental. :)

Aloha

Maybe you should do a camouflage paint job using spray cans?

Also, if you happen upon a dead pig by the side of the road, rope it down to the hood of your Jeep so any perpetrators will more than likely steal the pig and leave the Jeep alone.

JMHO!!! :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 am 
Kona Kastoff

Todd wrote:
A Jeep is a Jeep and there really isn't another vehicle like it. So if that is what you want, I'd say go for it.
I actually agree with Todd on this one, if that is what you want than go for it. However, they are not very good for highway driving, they are noisy too, so I would only consider one as a second vehicle. The locals drive SUVs, trucks or island beaters. (Except the few with show off tendencies.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:03 am 
Malihini

Quote:
However, they are not very good for highway driving, they are noisy too,

Yes they are a little noisy, like any soft top, but they actually handle very well on the highway. I'm not sure when the last time you drove a jeep was, but you can actually let go of the steering wheel and they will track straight now. This was not true 20 years ago. I've actually been thinking of replacing my Land Rover with one.

Todd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:55 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
haoleboy wrote:

Aloha

Maybe you should do a camouflage paint job using spray cans?

Also, if you happen upon a dead pig by the side of the road, rope it down to the hood of your Jeep so any perpetrators will more than likely steal the pig and leave the Jeep alone.

JMHO!!! :D :D :D

Now you're making sense! :) :) :)

We recently had a serious discussion at work regarding the practice of hitting pigs on the road. The majority opinion was that it is a good idea if it can be safely done. The majority of the meat is usually not bruised and can be salvaged.

Aloha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 pm 
Malihini

Quote:
We recently had a serious discussion at work regarding the practice of hitting pigs on the road. The majority opinion was that it is a good idea if it can be safely done. The majority of the meat is usually not bruised and can be salvaged.

By the time you pay for the body repair it will probably be the most expensive pig you've ever had.

Todd

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next