It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What should we NOT bring when moving to Kona?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am 
Malihini

I agree that it easy to live a minimalist lifestyle, but:

If you require (or enjoy) an extensive tool and hardware/material collection, it's prudent to pay the cost to ship it with you. New stuff here is full price plus some, used stuff is non-existent or rusty junk. Specialized tools and materials have to be shipped in, and shipping costs often exceed the value of the goods.

I'm visiting haolegrandbaby in SoCal right now, and couldn't resist the pull of the local Harbor Freight store. Bought $100.00 worth of little things without even trying. God I miss Harbor Freight!

Aloha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:

If you require (or enjoy) an extensive tool and hardware/material collection, it's prudent to pay the cost to ship it with you. New stuff here is full price plus some, used stuff is non-existent or rusty junk. Specialized tools and materials have to be shipped in, and shipping costs often exceed the value of the goods.

I'm visiting haolegrandbaby in SoCal right now, and couldn't resist the pull of the local Harbor Freight store. Bought $100.00 worth of little things without even trying. God I miss Harbor Freight!

Aloha

Fortunately for me I don't have any specialized tools and don't require any specialized materials. So it would have cost me $600 to ship most of my tools and I can buy most of what I have for $600. Now, when it comes to my reloading equipment and tools I shipped it all over here. And Cabelas is my best friend! LOL!!!

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:00 am 
Malihini

How does Cabelas treat you re: shipping?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
How does Cabelas treat you re: shipping?

They ship USPS so usually not bad. I have ordered over the phone a few times and each time I was able to convince the order taker to extend the free shipping, when offered (usually for orders over $150) to Hawaii. Their customer service is outstanding and they have more than once paid the shipping when they made a mistake with the order. My last order yesterday was over the Internet and the shipping was $20 (No free shipping offer). But they currently have $20 off any order over $150 so that took care of the shipping charge.

I always shop for my reloading items long before I need them. So I watch when Cabelas is running what I want in the Bargain Cave and/or have rebates and/or free shipping. In this case I got it on sale in the Bargain Cave and a rebate is involved then the $20 off which paid for shipping. With that said, there are times when I can buy what I am looking for thru Amazon cheaper and with free shipping. In this case the price was much higher than the deal I got thru Cabelas so the free shipping from Amazon was not enough to get what I wanted thru them.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm 
Kama

haoleboy wrote:
I generally agree, but lean a bit toward bringing stuff over. Whatever you do buy here, is going to cost more, and be harder to find. Bring quality furniture pieces, because you won't like the price and selection of what's here.

We brought a fair share of books and have had only one fail. A large dictionary has swollen up and looks ready to explode. A couple of furniture pieces also de-laminated and sprung, others have been fine.

Aloha

What haleoboy says makes a lot of sense. We've been focusing on how much it'll cost to bring all of our favorite stuff along, never thinking of the limited availability of quality pieces on a small island! So does everyone agree, whatever the long distance movers charge to ship it will still be cheaper than replacing it in the long run?

Last edited by ccraiggnelson on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I tend to agree with bringing stuff. The thing is if you sell everything and re-buy what you need here it may cost you less overall because inevitably you will not replace everything you didn't bring. And let's face it, most of our gourmet kitchen tools will never get used now that we are here for over 3 years. And if we had sold everything chances are we would not replace them all. Typical example is my wife bought a bagle guillotine. Now that we are here we cannot find a decent bagel or even a bagel shop. So it sits waiting for someone to open a bagel shop nearby. Most of the books we brought over have not been re-read since we arrived. Mostly what we brought are our dust collectors that we have acquired over the years and in places we visited. But the stuff means something to us so the value of bringing it was worth it.

What I would suggest is that you re-look at your life and get rid of everything you know you won't use. I had some huge collections of tools and such. Knowing I would never use them once I moved I got rid of most of them. Collections of things were sold. One bedroom of furniture was sold/given away. Most of the computer equipment was sold. We came pretty much bare bones. And re-purchased items as we needed them. I got rid of all my clothes except t-shirts and shorts. And I still brought too much. And we could have gotten rid of more things. But we are a point where we have a balance now. And we are not buying things much anymore. Instead we spend our money on doing things.

If you can pair down to just enough to fill a 20 foot container you have done well in my opinion.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
Da Kine

Kona Dave wrote:
haoleboy wrote:

Aloha

Fortunately for me I don't have any specialized tools and don't require any specialized materials. So it would have cost me $600 to ship most of my tools and I can buy most of what I have for $600. Now, when it comes to my reloading equipment and tools I shipped it all over here. And Cabelas is my best friend! LOL!!!

Do the USPS one price boxes work over there? If so, Montana Gold Bullet. They size their orders to fit in those boxes. When I order bullets, the mail(wo)man backs the truck up to my garage door and asks me to unload them for her. The USPS is losing money on those shipments.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:17 pm 
Malihini

I agree with you Dave about selling stuff and not replacing near as much as what you had. That's what we're doing...downsizing big time. We currently have a 3200 sq ft house (long story for another day why we have so much house and stuff) and will be going down to just over 1000 sq ft. We've already started selling our belongings and have made about $600 so far. We won't be replacing a lot of things like the wedding gifts we never used, baby furniture, fish tanks, kitchen buffet, exercise equipment, etc. And good point about the clothes, I really need to work on that...it's hard for me to give up so many pairs of shoes and jackets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Honu0612 wrote:
...And good point about the clothes, I really need to work on that...it's hard for me to give up so many pairs of shoes and jackets.

I do laundry every two weeks. I have 3 weeks worth of work shirts and 8 weeks worth of t-shirts. One pair of slippahs and one pair of tennis shoes. I wear about 6 t-shirts every two weeks because I wear work shirts (Aloha Shirts) 10 of the 14 days. I wear slippahs every day and the tennis shoes only when I can't wear open toe footwear which is like maybe once every month or two. If I didn't have to wear work shirts I would have only one or two good Aloha shirts. And I still brought 4-5 (too many) weeks worth of t-shirts.

You can wear shorts, t-shirt and slippahs to the finest restaurants here. :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:37 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
You can wear shorts, t-shirt and slippahs to the finest restaurants here. :D :D :D
That's not really true Dave, I guess you don't eat much at the finest restaurants! :lol: :lol: :lol: There actually is a restaurant at the Lodge on Lanai where you will need a jacket! (No worries, if you don't have one they will give you one!)

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Kona Dave wrote:
That's not really true Dave, I guess you don't eat much at the finest restaurants! :lol: :lol: :lol: There actually is a restaurant at the Lodge on Lanai where you will need a jacket! (No worries, if you don't have one they will give you one!)

John,

I'll have you know I ONLY eat at the finest places wherever I am!!! Hell, I have worn a t-shirt, shorts and slippahs to Jacques in ze Box!!! I bet you have never eaten there, have you John? :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 pm 
Malihini

Let that be a warning to you, if you visit Lanai you better bring your jacket. If you don't dress right they'll loan you a jacket to wear with your slippas and shorts. Personally I won't eat at a restaurant I'm not comfortable in and if I have to wear a jacket into a restaurant in Hawaii, I won't be going there. If they want to loan me a jacket I'll hang it on the back of my chair. But then I've never been to Lanai.

Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 pm 
Malihini

X2 Todd. I'm boycotting that eatery on Lanai. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Admin

X3 you guys. I figure half a monkey suit is still a monkey suit! :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 am 
Malihini

That's funny...I can just imagine what that would look like.....the jacket as long or even longer than the shorts you're wearing :lol:

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next