It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What should we NOT bring when moving to Kona?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 am 
Keiki

I am very glad Babette is here to keep thing accurate!

So, I am thinking that regular people will not do a very good job in physically packing a container. I assume it is just a HUGE box (no pun or ugly picture intended) like one of those industrial sized garbage dumpsters by houses undergoing construction. Except in this case you have to accurately pack all of your furniture and boxes inside of it. To be effective it needs to be packed with everything very closely organised on top of everything else.

I also assume you still pack your boxes just like a cross-country move before putting them inside the container???

Two big items I am thinking about:
[*]Do you recommend moving our front load water efficient Maytag washer / dryer if they are working fine but 10 years old?
[*]I assume if our mattress / box springs are 15 years old (they did say 30 year warranty...) we would do better to get rid of and buy new in HI???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:53 am 
Malihini

The container is a big box, approximately 9' wide and 20' long, with a door on the end that swings open. It sits on a trailer, so the bottom of the opening is 4 feet above the ground. We chose not to lift our freezer, furniture, boxes, etc. up 4 feet :) and we also wanted someone experienced at packing for an over-water move. That's why we paid for a moving company. People have packed their own containers to save money, but maybe they're 30 years younger than we are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm 
Keiki

Babette,

We are in our late 50's so I think we will also not be doing the heavy lifting/schlepping either. :blackeye: (the only smiley that looked like it was injured, although I imagine sprained backs).

I like the idea of younger backs lifting heavy furniture and being responsible for an oversea trip!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

The difference between what Babette did and what we did is this. Babette rented the container from Matson and arranged for the movers at both ends of the move separately. I dealt with one person, one company. They arranged for the container and the truck from Matson and the movers on both ends. I wrote one check for the whole move. I found the one company one mover approach was about the same amount of money as hiring different people so I decided to deal with only one person. I didn't lift a finger for our move.

Either way works the same, you still get to Hawaii. :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

marybethw wrote:
I am very glad Babette is here to keep thing accurate!

So, I am thinking that regular people will not do a very good job in physically packing a container. I assume it is just a HUGE box (no pun or ugly picture intended) like one of those industrial sized garbage dumpsters by houses undergoing construction. Except in this case you have to accurately pack all of your furniture and boxes inside of it. To be effective it needs to be packed with everything very closely organised on top of everything else.

I also assume you still pack your boxes just like a cross-country move before putting them inside the container???

Two big items I am thinking about:
[*]Do you recommend moving our front load water efficient Maytag washer / dryer if they are working fine but 10 years old?
[*]I assume if our mattress / box springs are 15 years old (they did say 30 year warranty...) we would do better to get rid of and buy new in HI???

I don't know how I missed this post....

Not sure about Babette but our movers packed everything for us. We didn't pack even one box. I assume Babette probably had the thing? I recommend leaving the washer and dryer and bringing your bed if it is still in good shape and you like it.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Malihini

We packed our own boxes. Didn't want to pay the extra money to Mayflower to pack for us. I let them pack the wine glasses and the framed artwork. Everything arrived in good shape.

When you pack, keep careful records. Number the boxes and write down the contents of each box. This is for your own benefit, not required by the movers. This was a good way for us to keep track of all of our boxes. It also facilitated the unpacking -- we knew where the important things were and didn't have to go searching through boxes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm 
Keiki

I agree 100% with you on that one! I have self-packed and moved cross country twice - moved stuff from my dear aunt's and in-laws houses after they passed as well. Nothing was broken in any move - I have the box packing down!

I found the numbering and writing a detailed list really does help - and I did not do it at first, so I know both the "mystery box" method as well as the more organised but also more labor intensive number way. I highly suggest the numbering!

it is the AMOUNT of boxes I have difficulty limiting :) :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:44 am 
Kama

If somebody doesn't mind me asking (and if you do, no problem), purely out of curiosity, how much does it cost to ship one of those containers from the mainland to Hawaii?

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:57 am 
Malihini

It all depends on where you're shipping from, Ken. I think our cost to ship from Denver a year ago was $7,800 from Matson. Go to their website or call them; they are very friendly and helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am 
Kama

Babette wrote:
I think our cost to ship from Denver a year ago was $7,800 from Matson.

Wowzers! But I guess it would be worth it if it's a one time cost!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 am 
Site Admin

My move from SoCal back in 2008 was about $9,200 and that included having a company come in and pack all of our stuff for us and then pack the container. It also included them unpacking the container for us. Our move from BI to Oahu was about $6,000. These prices did not include the $1,000 per vehicle.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:16 pm 
Malihini

David is right. I didn't include the $$$ for the movers to pack the container for us (maybe another $500?) and the unpacking at this end. It was cheaper at this end because we used a couple of local guys and part of the payment was in beer (after they were done).

I also didn't include the cost to ship the car from the west coast. We drove our car to Seattle and shipped it from there. I think it would have been about $1,500 or $1,600 to have the vehicle shipped from Denver.

So, Ken, you gotta be serious about this move!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:49 am 
Kama

While the costs does seem like a lot, I think you have to think of it as your dream move. If moving and living in paradise were cheap, then everyone would move there and it wouldn't be paradise anymore. As far as what to bring, when I was in college in Indiana, one of my friends was from Hawaii. So he basically had to buy a whole new wardrobe for the cold Indiana winters. I'm not sure if he put his clothes in storage when he went back home for the summer or what.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:23 am 
Site Admin

WallaceM wrote:
While the costs does seem like a lot, I think you have to think of it as your dream move. If moving and living in paradise were cheap, then everyone would move there and it wouldn't be paradise anymore. As far as what to bring, when I was in college in Indiana, one of my friends was from Hawaii. So he basically had to buy a whole new wardrobe for the cold Indiana winters. I'm not sure if he put his clothes in storage when he went back home for the summer or what.

If I had to do it all over again I would have sold pretty much everything except t-shirts and slippahs and mail these things to myself. Just a few personal items is all I use here and could have bought new or used once I arrived and it would have cost me less. Craigslist and Google are your friends! Minimalist living is really the way to live here.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:01 am 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
WallaceM wrote:
If I had to do it all over again I would have sold pretty much everything except t-shirts and slippahs and mail these things to myself. Just a few personal items is all I use here and could have bought new or used once I arrived and it would have cost me less. Craigslist and Google are your friends! Minimalist living is really the way to live here.
I did the exact same! I shipped 12 boxes of personal stuff here by UPS and that was it. (I probably should have shipped only 6 boxes!) There was no Google and there was no Cragslist back then, but I still "survived!" :) :) :)

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next