It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: What should we NOT bring when moving to Kona?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

big_island_bound wrote:
That's funny...I can just imagine what that would look like.....the jacket as long or even longer than the shorts you're wearing :lol:

Its the full size organ grinder that makes the outfit!!! :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:23 pm 
Malihini

I dont know when the last time someone had gotten a quote from Matson, but when I went to close on my house there was a Matson office right next to the title company in Hilo. The quote I received was only $500-$600 difference between the 20ft and the 40ft door to door. Seemed odd to me, so I asked again to double check. She said they didn't go by weight, and yes she was sure that price was correct. I would have reserved one then and there if my move wasn't months away at the time as she could only lock my quoted price in for 30 days. Doesnt that seem odd as far as price goes?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Not really
I did the wrong thing and paid a cOmpany to move me and they charged me by weight
I think if I had done it your way I would have had a 40 footer thousands less than what I paid

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:51 am 
Malihini

We had Matson ship a 40, and later a 20 foot container to us. The 40 foot was a far better value.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:16 pm 
Keiki

Kona Dave wrote:
Aloha Mary Beth,

I have a long winded post coming here so I apologize in advance. If my memory serves me correctly Elbert is not from Alaska, but I could be wrong.

What not to bring is very subjective as you already know. Just remember that homes in Hawaii are generally smaller and have less closets and storage. I don't suggest you place anything in storage because it usually means putting worthless stuff in a big closet and paying for the privelege. In a year you could buy brand new whatever you were storing with the fees that you would pay to store it. My wife likes to bake and she is a part time cook. So she got rid of all the little tools and stuff that we only used once a year or two. Things like a bagel slicer and special egg pan. She kept all the basics and we have not bought anything that we got rid of yet. Get rid of all opened liquids and pressurized cans. You can't take them. Get rid of all ammo (if applicable). Get rid of collectibles such as coins and stamps, etc. Most usually sit in closets and are taken out only occasionally. Also, if worth anything they will help pay for your move. Remember, you won't have as many bedrooms and closets when you move. We got rid of all our old furniture, bought new and brought it with us. If you have expensive cars (ie BMW, Mercedes, etc.) consider downsizing to something more affordable like a Honda or Toyota. Get rid of all your gardening tools unless you buy a place with land and intend to garden. Remember that the difference in price between a 20' and a 40' container is quite a bit. So if you can pair down to a 20' container you will keep your moving costs down. As far as clothes go, t-shirts and shorts. Bring only 2 weeks worth of clothes. One long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt and maybe a pair of sneakers. One pair of slippahs is all you will need the rest of your life here. Unless you intend to spend the money to travel to the mainland don't expect anyone on the mainland to visit you. I don't expect you will travel in the winter (if you have a choice) so travel only in the summer. Oh, you already have your summer clothes. No need for winter clothes. Caveat, if you decide to live in the Waimea area you might want to keep a few more warm clothes with you. No need for fancy clothes either. Most high end restaurants will let you in with a t-shirt and shorts. Also, remember we have high humidity here so keep this in mind as you dig thru your stuff. A lot of things will get mold become worthless in our humidity. Also, if you have to bring a specialized piece of furniture to display your collectibles or plates and things, get rid of all of it. Chances are you won't have a good place to put it even if you have the room. Think about when you first moved out on your own or if you lived in a college dorm. A minimalist approach is best. Remember though, if you have a hobby or interest that you intend to continue with when you move here then take most or all your stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

No Ammo???? WTH?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Capn Vinny wrote:
Kona Dave wrote:
Aloha Mary Beth,

I have a long winded post coming here so I apologize in advance. If my memory serves me correctly Elbert is not from Alaska, but I could be wrong.

What not to bring is very subjective as you already know. Just remember that homes in Hawaii are generally smaller and have less closets and storage. I don't suggest you place anything in storage because it usually means putting worthless stuff in a big closet and paying for the privelege. In a year you could buy brand new whatever you were storing with the fees that you would pay to store it. My wife likes to bake and she is a part time cook. So she got rid of all the little tools and stuff that we only used once a year or two. Things like a bagel slicer and special egg pan. She kept all the basics and we have not bought anything that we got rid of yet. Get rid of all opened liquids and pressurized cans. You can't take them. Get rid of all ammo (if applicable). Get rid of collectibles such as coins and stamps, etc. Most usually sit in closets and are taken out only occasionally. Also, if worth anything they will help pay for your move. Remember, you won't have as many bedrooms and closets when you move. We got rid of all our old furniture, bought new and brought it with us. If you have expensive cars (ie BMW, Mercedes, etc.) consider downsizing to something more affordable like a Honda or Toyota. Get rid of all your gardening tools unless you buy a place with land and intend to garden. Remember that the difference in price between a 20' and a 40' container is quite a bit. So if you can pair down to a 20' container you will keep your moving costs down. As far as clothes go, t-shirts and shorts. Bring only 2 weeks worth of clothes. One long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt and maybe a pair of sneakers. One pair of slippahs is all you will need the rest of your life here. Unless you intend to spend the money to travel to the mainland don't expect anyone on the mainland to visit you. I don't expect you will travel in the winter (if you have a choice) so travel only in the summer. Oh, you already have your summer clothes. No need for winter clothes. Caveat, if you decide to live in the Waimea area you might want to keep a few more warm clothes with you. No need for fancy clothes either. Most high end restaurants will let you in with a t-shirt and shorts. Also, remember we have high humidity here so keep this in mind as you dig thru your stuff. A lot of things will get mold become worthless in our humidity. Also, if you have to bring a specialized piece of furniture to display your collectibles or plates and things, get rid of all of it. Chances are you won't have a good place to put it even if you have the room. Think about when you first moved out on your own or if you lived in a college dorm. A minimalist approach is best. Remember though, if you have a hobby or interest that you intend to continue with when you move here then take most or all your stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

No Ammo???? WTH?

I made the mistake of using a moving company to load my container. They were the ones that had a list of items that can't be packed in the container. They claim it is Matson and Young Bros list and they were only enforcing it. But if you pack your own container then who will know? Or just pack your own boxes. It is all water under the bridge now. But I was unarmed for almost a year before ammo became available again (After the first Obama election).

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 pm 
Da Kine

Movers tell you "officially" you can't pack that stuff - and they won't pack it. It's pretty much a liability issue. When we moved, the guys packing were like - if we don't know, we don't care, but we told you not to so if the bottle of bleach leaks, you're responsible for it.

Same thing if there is an explosion on the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:13 pm 
Keiki

guess I shouldnt put my ammo in my carry-on either,,aw crap now Homeland security is watching me. :shock:

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4