It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: What should we NOT bring when moving to Kona?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:39 am 
Malihini

Location: California. Home of nuts, flakes, fires, floods, A-HOLES & earthquakes.
Hello,
as we are preparing for our move to Kona one day, is there anything that you recommend that we NOT bring to Kona and should just leave/donate/sell/throw away before we head to the islands. I have read on other forums, not to be the following:

Heavy jackets
pants/jeans
leather items
sweaters
books....due to humidity
suits

please feel free to add to this list. any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Very Respectfully,
Elbert

Post subject: Re: What should we NOT bring when moving to Kona?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 am 
Menehune

Hello Elbert!

I am new to this forum. If I read your posts correctly, you are still in Alaska working on disposing of your excess baggage. This is a major item on my to-do list as well. How is it going? Are you able to easily give up long treasured (but not needed) items? Do you have more items on the list you posted a couple of years ago?
I have recently started scanning major paper items into my computer. Memory sticks/flash cards or an attachable hard drive are so much smaller than multiple cases of old pictures, newspaper clippings and old programs/ticket stubs/brochures, etc. As I do this I am finding that some things are not as important as I thought they were. Maybe this might work for you as well.

I see books on your list. People in HI have books. I have seen them! We have MANY books and still have not figured out what to do with them. When we retire we will finally have time to re-read a lot of them, something we have both been looking forward to doing. It would be expensive in my mind to replace them if we should get rid of many before the move.

A question for someone currently living on the BI: is there a market for a used book store? Even if it doesn’t make tons of money? I found “Kona Bay Books” when I did a Google search. They sound big, at least according to their website. Don’t necessarily want to be #2 if the foot traffic isn’t there.

A problem I have not yet resolved is what clothes do I keep for visits to the mainland? Do I keep multiple sweaters and winter gear in case I visit a cold climate in the winter? What about more dressy wear for mainland family weddings/funerals/graduations? At age 87 my mom in Florida will not visit anyone where she has to wear a fall/winter coat. Period. However, I am not going to be 87 for 30 more years!

Anyway, I am happy to listen to any and all suggestions!

Mahalo,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Aloha Mary Beth,

I have a long winded post coming here so I apologize in advance. If my memory serves me correctly Elbert is not from Alaska, but I could be wrong.

What not to bring is very subjective as you already know. Just remember that homes in Hawaii are generally smaller and have less closets and storage. I don't suggest you place anything in storage because it usually means putting worthless stuff in a big closet and paying for the privelege. In a year you could buy brand new whatever you were storing with the fees that you would pay to store it. My wife likes to bake and she is a part time cook. So she got rid of all the little tools and stuff that we only used once a year or two. Things like a bagel slicer and special egg pan. She kept all the basics and we have not bought anything that we got rid of yet. Get rid of all opened liquids and pressurized cans. You can't take them. Get rid of all ammo (if applicable). Get rid of collectibles such as coins and stamps, etc. Most usually sit in closets and are taken out only occasionally. Also, if worth anything they will help pay for your move. Remember, you won't have as many bedrooms and closets when you move. We got rid of all our old furniture, bought new and brought it with us. If you have expensive cars (ie BMW, Mercedes, etc.) consider downsizing to something more affordable like a Honda or Toyota. Get rid of all your gardening tools unless you buy a place with land and intend to garden. Remember that the difference in price between a 20' and a 40' container is quite a bit. So if you can pair down to a 20' container you will keep your moving costs down. As far as clothes go, t-shirts and shorts. Bring only 2 weeks worth of clothes. One long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt and maybe a pair of sneakers. One pair of slippahs is all you will need the rest of your life here. Unless you intend to spend the money to travel to the mainland don't expect anyone on the mainland to visit you. I don't expect you will travel in the winter (if you have a choice) so travel only in the summer. Oh, you already have your summer clothes. No need for winter clothes. Caveat, if you decide to live in the Waimea area you might want to keep a few more warm clothes with you. No need for fancy clothes either. Most high end restaurants will let you in with a t-shirt and shorts. Also, remember we have high humidity here so keep this in mind as you dig thru your stuff. A lot of things will get mold become worthless in our humidity. Also, if you have to bring a specialized piece of furniture to display your collectibles or plates and things, get rid of all of it. Chances are you won't have a good place to put it even if you have the room. Think about when you first moved out on your own or if you lived in a college dorm. A minimalist approach is best. Remember though, if you have a hobby or interest that you intend to continue with when you move here then take most or all your stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 pm 
Malihini

We brought books with us. Lots and lots of books. They all fit into the shipping container; otherwise we would have shipped them media rate with USPS. We live at 1,200 feet elevation in a dry area and have no problems (yet) with humidity affecting the books.

There are several used book stores in Kona, so I don't know if there is a need for more. The one we used to go to in Captain Cook closed, but I don't know if that was due to lack of business or other reasons. Stores seem to come and go here.

Do bring things that you use frequently, like the Belgium Waffle maker we use almost weekly. Ours finally gave out and we just ordered a new one from Amazon.com because they have free shipping. Shopping is limited here and selection can be poor. If there's a certain shampoo you like, bring lots with you. Some things we make do with what's available, but if it's something that we really can't find, then we go shopping on-line. Sometimes the shipping can cost more than the item, like the food dehydrator I've been looking for. I think that when we go back to the mainland, I'll buy one there and pay $20 for it as checked baggage.

Bring about one half the amount of clothing you think you'll need. I hardly ever wear long pants or long-sleeve shirts. I've bought a lot of dresses and island wear at the thrift stores.

Regarding keeping clothes for visits to the mainland, I'd say, yes bring some with you. We keep stuff there with family that we'll be visiting and so far have only visited in the summer, but it is nice to have that winter jacket just in case you need to go in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 am 
Da Kine

I generally agree, but lean a bit toward bringing stuff over. Whatever you do buy here, is going to cost more, and be harder to find. Bring quality furniture pieces, because you won't like the price and selection of what's here.

We brought a fair share of books and have had only one fail. A large dictionary has swollen up and looks ready to explode. A couple of furniture pieces also de-laminated and sprung, others have been fine.

Aloha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:50 pm 
Menehune

What a lot of great opinions! I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I know I tend towards keeping too much so I realise I need to let go of things I truly don’t need, but want to have things I might actually use. I still have the possibility of doing a telecommuting professional contract – which means a visit or two to a client business meeting (professional garb, of course this is what I would LOVE to give away the fastest). I always prefer summer weather, so given my preference I would travel only during the summer. However things happen and my young adult kids are just starting out – what if, say one of them had a baby in January? (None currently in that situation...) I would be on the first plane to visit. I’d hate to visit a snowy location in Aloha wear or shorts and slippahs! They’d think I was a very eccentric grandma! I’d also freeze to death.

What we plan to do is to visit selected areas in the Kona area and stay for a week-ish in furnished rentals (we believe we want a townhouse style condo) and really look at their furnishings and match them with what we currently have. We were fortunate to inherit a number of casual solid oak pieces from my in-laws. I think these would look good in HI. Some of the other items, not so much.

I am glad to hear that other people also love their books! Good thought that they are small and great filler items! I keep thinking weight, but containers are size, not weight. Thanks for the info on used book shops – I am not too disappointed, it is just one of many things that I have thought of as a way to make some extra cash.
What I am gathering from everyone is:
• Newer or good quality items that we really like/use often and will “fit” in HI = bring with us
• Things that are very large/older/do not use often = sell or give away and buy new/used later in HI

We certainly have a lot to think about!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

marybethw wrote:
I still have the possibility of doing a telecommuting professional contract – which means a visit or two to a client business meeting (professional garb, of course this is what I would LOVE to give away the fastest). I always prefer summer weather, so given my preference I would travel only during the summer.

I think this is a good idea. I got rid of all my suits and then my nephew got married. I went to his wedding in shorts, slippahs and a nice aloha shirt. I looked out of place but everyone wanted to talk to his eccentric uncle. :D

marybethw wrote:
However things happen and my young adult kids are just starting out – what if, say one of them had a baby in January? (None currently in that situation...) I would be on the first plane to visit. I’d hate to visit a snowy location in Aloha wear or shorts and slippahs! They’d think I was a very eccentric grandma! I’d also freeze to death.

I still suggest you get rid of your cold weather clothes. Here is why. If you keep them I guarantee your kids won't have a baby in January. So if you get rid of your cold weather clothes you are guaranteed a new grandbaby in January and you can buy new cold weather clothes here before you leave. Yes, there are cold weather clothes available in Wally World, K-Mart, Sears and Saks. While you are here for a visit check out the cold weather clothes at your local stores. But until the grandbaby comes you won't have to store an old jacket/coat and you will get to go shopping for new clothes before you leave. I see this as a win-win! :D :D :D Humor was added to the previous statement. Just remember, the BI has 7 of 9 climatic zones. There is snow up on mauna kea during the winter. Waimea can get quite cold as well as other higher elevation areas. Someone sells cold weather clothes on the island.

marybethw wrote:
I am glad to hear that other people also love their books! Good thought that they are small and great filler items!

My wife is a book nut. She gladly went through every book she owned and paired down her collection to what she could fit in the two book cases we brought with us. She gave them all to my sister-in-law who belongs to a womens book club. After a year they were still thanking my sister-in-law for all the great books. My wife immediately found all the used book stores in the area and started doing business with them. Two of them went out of business in the first year or so. Another opened up as well I think. She has good desirable books so the bookstores were happy to deal with her. There are one or two spectacular book stores on Oahu. If you ever visit Oahu you must see them.

marybethw wrote:
I keep thinking weight, but containers are size, not weight.

Actually, they charge by the size of the container AND the weight of the container. They can only give you an estimate for the cost. The final cost is determined when the container goes through the scales. You will not know the exact price of shipping your container until late the day of your move or the next day or business day.

marybethw wrote:
What I am gathering from everyone is:
• Newer or good quality items that we really like/use often and will “fit” in HI = bring with us
• Things that are very large/older/do not use often = sell or give away and buy new/used later in HI

We certainly have a lot to think about!

That is a good rule of thumb!!! :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I moved here so long ago (20+ years) that I didn't really want to post in this thread, but as I recall we sold most everything before we moved here and had only 12 boxes that we shipped here by UPS. As it turned out, we didn't really need even about half of that stuff and we ended up either donating it to the thrift shops or just throwing it out. It means you probably don't need half of the stuff you think you will need here.
PS. Dave, I think it's 10 of the 11 climate zones.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Malihini

Dave was right, John. Hawaii has 11 of the 13 climate zones in the world.

Dave, we moved over last year and we did not pay for weight. Matson quoted us a price for the container, which we paid in advance. There were no additional costs added after the container was loaded, which is when it would have been weighed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Babette wrote:
Dave was right, John. Hawaii has 11 of the 13 climate zones in the world.

Dave, we moved over last year and we did not pay for weight. Matson quoted us a price for the container, which we paid in advance. There were no additional costs added after the container was loaded, which is when it would have been weighed.

You are correct Babette, it is 11 of 13 climatic zones. When I posted I didn't have time to look it up.

It is interesting that you paid a flat rate for your container. Actually, for me it wasn't an additional fee for the weight. They gave me the fee for the container rental and estimated what the shipping cost would be based on the weight of the container contents. They tared the container before bringing it out to the house and then weighed it before it was put on the ship. After being weighed the actual charge was about $1,000 less than the estimate for my move from the mainland. This is the way it was done for both our moves.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 am 
Menehune

Well then it sounds like I need to be very careful when I get to the moving container stage. I will make sure I know whether estimates are based on size, weight or both.

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 am 
Site Admin

marybethw wrote:
Well then it sounds like I need to be very careful when I get to the moving container stage. I will make sure I know whether estimates are based on size, weight or both.

Thanks for the tip!

Just a thought and a guess. I wonder if Babette arranged for her container separately from her movers expense. SOme people rent the container and pack/unpack the container themselves or arrange for the movers from a different company to pack/unpack the container. My back is too bad to move myself and I found a couple of companies that gave estimates that were as low or lower than renting the container and paying a separate moving company. It could be in this case that renting the container is a flat fee and not based on weight?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 am 
Malihini

Ha, ha, Dave. I went back and read your post about the climate zones. Here I was supposedly supporting you and you were wrong! :lol:

About the container, what we did was have Matson deliver the container to our house. Then we had a local mover pack it for us, and some local guys unpacked when it arrived in Hawaii. I don't remember the details, but I believe that Matson gave us a flat rate of shipping from Denver to Naalehu and I don't think they gathered any information about what was going into the container.

Mary Beth, when you get to the container moving stage, Matson is very easy to work with. Their website is very informational, and the people in customer service were very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 am 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
Ha, ha, Dave. I went back and read your post about the climate zones. Here I was supposedly supporting you and you were wrong! :lol:
Actually, we both were wrong, but I was closer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Babette wrote:
Actually, we both were wrong, but I was closer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Closer only matters in melting down nuclear cores!!! :D :D :D

Bad joke I know.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next