It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 'Ulu (Four Seasons Hualalai)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Kona Kastoff

This restaurant used to be called Pahui'a, but was closed, and after some renovation it reopened as 'Ulu. The concept is farm-to-table and they claim to have a working relationship with 160 farms on the Big Island.

It's a very expensive restaurant with $20 cocktails; $15-$30 glass of wine; $15 cup of soup, $50 entrees, etc., but they have a $65 five-course fixed menu too. Everything we ordered were masterfully prepared, and the service was outstanding. This is probably the only restaurant on the Big Island where the wait staff was trained to a high level of service. I was somewhat surprised to see many Thai-influenced dishes on the menu though.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Post subject: Re: 'Ulu (Four Seasons Hualalai)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:43 am 
Kona Kastoff

What a difference six months and a new chef make. :( The Executive Chef left a few months ago to open his own restaurant, and with the new chef 'Ulu has more and more Thai and/or Thai-influenced dishes than the last time we were there. (They also opened a Sushi Lounge.) Obviously, the chef is not Thai, and it seems nobody there know how to prepare Thai dishes. The Lobster Pad Thai was overcooked and lacked taste, and the Wild Shrimp and Stir-Fry Noodle tasted like instant noodles. I'm surprised the upper management agreed/decided to make such a drastic change in food direction. If I want to eat sushi than I go to Hayama, and if I want to eat Thai food than there are several good choices in town for the fraction of the price.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Post subject: Re: 'Ulu (Four Seasons Hualalai)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 am 
Kona Kastoff

This once my favorite restaurant has really gone downhill. :cry: They expanded the menu with more Asian-wanna-be dishes. The two Taiwanese ladies we went there with made a mistake of ordering from those dishes, they both said their dishes were really bad. I was lucky, my Wild Boar with Kiawe-smoked Potato was good. The fourth main dish we ordered was so-so according to my friend. The Crab Salad appetizer was good, the Green Salad was good, but the Coconut Corn Chowder was terrible. It wasn't a chowder to begin with, and it really tasted just like broth with coconut milk mixed in. Another disappointment was my drink order. I ordered a Negroni that they served in a Martini glass to start with. I explained it to the waitress how it should be served and sent it back. She brought it back served in the right glass, but it was served with a lemon peel. :roll: I would expect the bartender at the Four Seasons to know a thing or two about cocktails, and know that Negroni is supposed to be served with an orange peel.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]