It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 7 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aloha! And Welcome to the Big Island Forum!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Dave, I yield to you in all things of South Kona! You bought down there, I only know a couple people. My friends live up high in the cheap part. The land the one friend owns does have old growth on it. Both my friends have had problems with theft. That is all I know. Maybe they are unlucky.

Not unlucky, they live live up high with the criminals. My house is down low in the subdivision. Distance and the highway make a good barrier. Also, not saying this applies to your friends, but it also depends on how you live. If your house "Looks" like you have something worth stealing you make yourself into a target. If you drive nice cars in the area while everyone else is driving beat old junkers the criminals will be curious what else you have that is nice. If you make your house into a McMansion while the houses around you look run down and in disrepair you will be targeted. I'm not saying it is wrong to do or own these things. Just saying the criminals are looking for stuff worth taking and if you make it obvious you have these things you will lose them. If you want to have nice stuff in your house you need to look like your living the same tough life the criminals are. Also, it helps if you make friends with everyone around you as people look out for each other around there. Even then there are no guarantees.

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
I have tried to grow proteas, with minor success. They need perfect drainage, like to grow on slopes, like acid soil, sun, good air circulation, but not drying wind (not good in Waikoloa). I would say that the Ka'u slopes are perfect for them. The thing is, soil that is so porous may not be good for growing food crops. A lot of compost would be needed, and water. I was thinking that Puna would be better for a farm project. But I really don't know that area the way you do. Maybe it is the place MnMom dreams of! I don't want to discourage her from that.

Not up much on what crops can be grown but the Ka'u Orange is infamous for being one of the best oranges in the world! Also, a lot of people grow food stuffs in HOVE. Mostly veggies and certain fruits. There is a nursery up there owned by a friend of mine and he can tell you what you can grow at which elevations. He also knows which plants attract bugs and which repel them.

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
I say, come on over, check out all the places.

I agree! I think seeing and being here is worth more than anything we can tell her!!! :) :) :)

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
The volcanoes fascinate me, love to talk about them.

Me too! I was looking at the volcano map of Hawaii and it is hard to tell which volcano Waikoloa is on. So which volcano do you live on? It is either Hualalai or Mauna Loa.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
Keiki

Dave, I was surprised what you said re the last Mauna Loa eruption on southwest rift, so I checked the site. There is a page on the 1950 eruption, with a map.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maunaloa/history/50_06_01/

Mauna Loa is listed as one of the most active volcanoes on the planet. It has erupted 33 times in the last 175 years, which is when records started. Twenty years is a long time for it to be quiet. If you read the monitoring page on the site, they thought it was getting to erupt in 2002, and again in 2004. I would not count it out for an eruption in our time! ML and Kilauea were both erupting in 1984.

I read those articles posted under Volcano Watch. They are fascinating! There are tons in the archives.
For example, I learned that Mauna Loa usually only has a rift eruption AFTER a summit eruption. The summit is up next ... good news, I think.
Here is a 2005 article about HOVE.

Quote:
the next eruption will most likely start in the summit. Based on the 1887 and 1907 eruptions, the eruption could produce lava flows that would traverse the length of HOVE and cross the Hawai`i Belt Road fewer than 3 days after the start of the summit phase. Any effort to minimize damage and threat to residents of HOVE and Hawaiian Rancho Estates would need to be done in fewer than 3 days.

When the next eruption of Mauna Loa starts, civil authorities will be faced with a tough decision. They will know there is a less-than-10-percent chance that the eruption could produce flows that will directly affect HOVE; they also will know that they have limited time to complete evacuation of the 2,000-plus residents of that and nearby subdivisions. Any delay to see whether the eruption will migrate south will cost valuable evacuation time.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2005/05_12_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess a 10% chance is not bad. :?:
Sorry to go on and on, guess some of DH's volcano enthusiasm has rubbed off on me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 pm 
Keiki

Oh, I didn't see that last post, Dave. Thanks for replying so thoroughly. I stand corrected on growing food in HOVE! :) Not surprised about the oranges. They like warm, dry, good drainage.

My friends are the opposite of McMansion. They are in their 40's, low key, drive older pick up trucks, and have unfinished modest cabins. The one friend who lives there full time knows lots of people. He is tied into everything -- people, school, the church, all of it. But it just took one bad apple to come looking for stuff to salvage.

Dave, you asked about which Volcano we live on. Waikoloa Village is, I'm pretty sure, on Mauna Kea. It is very close to the line between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, but I believe the village is Mauna Kea and the Waikoloa resort by the ocean might be Mauna Loa. I know we are considered Zone 8 for insurance purposes.

Speaking of buying, MNMom, I don't understand when you said a 150K parcel might be in your price range, with about 1/3 of that in cash. We looked at vacant land too. The problem is, good luck getting a loan on it. I expect you would either need to buy the land cash or work out seller financing. I'm sure that John Rabi knows better about that. The bank situation does change, but that is what we were told a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 am 
Kona Kastoff

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Speaking of buying, MNMom, I don't understand when you said a 150K parcel might be in your price range, with about 1/3 of that in cash. We looked at vacant land too. The problem is, good luck getting a loan on it. I expect you would either need to buy the land cash or work out seller financing. I'm sure that John Rabi knows better about that. The bank situation does change, but that is what we were told a few years ago.
That's what I thought too, and you are right about the land loans. Seller financing? That changed too. If you are not good enough for the bank than you are not good enough for the sellers either, unless they have a property that is unsalable or in low demand. (Like HOVE, where literally hundreds and hundreds of lots are for sale and sellers would do anything to sell.) I have a client who would sell you a lot in Royal Hawaiian Estates for $250/month straight for four years.

BTW, they have a farmers market in Ocean View every Saturday, you can step by and see what people grow there. I know of lettuce farms, people who grow raspberries, citrus, coffee, etc. The biggest challenge there is the lack of water.

As to Waipio Valley, very few people are comfortable with living in an area with no electricity, no water, and no resources. (Toilet? They say if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.) Outsiders won't know how and where to fish/hunt/trap there. There are no jobs anywhere near, the nearest store is in Honokaa, and the place is known for not welcoming outsiders. The "Tree House" used to be a B&B (illegal) until the locals raised enough hell to have it shut it down.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:41 am 
Keiki

hhhmmm... interesting and good information re: land loans. Here in Minnesota, they still only require a 20% down for land financing. (We just went thru a land deal last year that fell thru due to primary mortgage interests still attached to title - and this was before the news of the early retirement/buyouts for the husband, so we still felt nailed to the location.)

We have had a beautiful A-frame cabin here on a river for the last 4 yrs, raising our kids and teaching them the ecosystem they are part of - even at 4yrs and 6yrs old, they can recognize the aquatic invertebrates that signal water quality levels. :) They are both reading and adding/subtracting already... smart as whips! :) But, fall before last, we were flooded when we got 11" of rain in a 72 hr period. We had more than 10ft of water on the house. We spent almost a full year cleaning up (90yd dumpsters worth of flooded memories and accoutrements), stripping the structure down to studs, and living in a mixture of hotels, campers and tents in the yard. Let me say, the joys of using a porta-john for every trip, in Minnesota in December and January, was just thrilling.... Our family of five has slept on the floor of hotel rooms for so long, the kids still sleep together now, even when they have a choice.... and it took 6 months of being back in the house for them to want to move upstairs to the bedroom, rather than sleep on the living room floor in the same room as we parents were.

We lost everything in that flood - even pets. Not being 'from' this part of Minnesota, we have always been outsiders. We have no community here - in fact, the expression is "Not Minnesota Nice - It's Minnesota Ice" as they tend to ice people out. The really good (wonderful!) thing that has happened thru our family crucible, is just that - we are a very - very - close family now. I'm very proud of that, and I know we found our strength in each other. We have been thru some unbearable times, and are just looking for a place to be left alone to enjoy better weather (still sitting this very moment without a furnace in our house - it's 25* outside this morning) and a new ecosystem to explore. ?Thefts? What we do have left we will be selling at auction in April when we finally close with our FEMA buyout. :) See!!! There are always upsides to everything!! :) lol...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
My friends are the opposite of McMansion. They are in their 40's, low key, drive older pick up trucks, and have unfinished modest cabins. The one friend who lives there full time knows lots of people. He is tied into everything -- people, school, the church, all of it. But it just took one bad apple to come looking for stuff to salvage.

Dave, you asked about which Volcano we live on. Waikoloa Village is, I'm pretty sure, on Mauna Kea. It is very close to the line between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, but I believe the village is Mauna Kea and the Waikoloa resort by the ocean might be Mauna Loa. I know we are considered Zone 8 for insurance purposes.

I am truly sorry about your friends. It seems like the good ones are vandalized and the bad ones keep coming back for more. If they like it up at the higher elevations there is not much I can recommend for them. But if they don't mind the lower elevations the Ranchos are hard to beat. In the meantime they are the ones waking up every morning to that beautiful sunrise and the quiet that goes along with the area. One question. Are they up high enough to require a wood burning stove?

I guess I thought Waikoloa was closer to Kona? I thought you were on or near the other volcano? So you are on or near Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. We love the area out there. You know those little mole hills that are around the area? Because we live on volcanos my wife and I call them Molcanos! LOL!!!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 am 
Kona Kastoff

MNMom23 wrote:
hhhmmm... interesting and good information re: land loans. Here in Minnesota, they still only require a 20% down for land financing.
Nobody lends on land in Lava Zone 1 and 2 here, and the rest is subject to where the land is. You wouldn't have much problem financing land in upscale subdivisions with a sizable down, but good luck getting a land loan in most rural places, regardless of the lava zone. Your chances improve for a loan in non-rural areas if you are getting a construction loan and the land purchase is wrapped into that loan, but you will need at least 30% down and a minimum 760 credit score. Nobody will lend on land in Waipio Valley.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:00 pm 
Keiki

Kona Dave wrote:
If they like it up at the higher elevations there is not much I can recommend for them. But if they don't mind the lower elevations the Ranchos are hard to beat. In the meantime they are the ones waking up every morning to that beautiful sunrise and the quiet that goes along with the area. One question. Are they up high enough to require a wood burning stove?

Dave, ackk! I was totally off base about my friend's location. He is more of a friend of my niece, and I haven't been to his house. From what he said, I thought it was high up. I asked, and he is only a few blocks above the shopping center. My niece said it is called "the first quarter"? The other friend is in the second quarter, and his problem is he only lives there in winter, has to have a caretaker because of the theft when he is gone. The first friend actually invited a guy in as a favor, and the guy paid back the favor by stealing. I guess friend has not had "stranger" theft on his land.

Thank you Dave and John for setting me straight on HOVE. Obviously my impressions of it as a lava wasteland were very wrong. I never had any impression of the Ranchos, never knew anyone who owned there. I am sure it is nice because you chose it for your home! :)

MnMom, stuff that can be stolen here includes not only consumer goods, but generator, building supplies, appliances, fixtures, pipes, solar panels. IMHO you do need to be concerned about where you live and how secure you will be.
Quote:
I guess I thought Waikoloa was closer to Kona? I thought you were on or near the other volcano? So you are on or near Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea. We love the area out there. You know those little mole hills that are around the area? Because we live on volcanos my wife and I call them Molcanos! LOL!!!

Dave, about my location -- here is the hazard map for Waikoloa Village ... in Zone 8, which is Mauna Kea.

See how the Waikoloa resort area south of the Waikoloa Rd junction is in the yellow zone for Mauna Loa? Waikoloa Village is farther north. The road comes in to the highway quite a bit south at both ends. There was a push for a new road that would go in a straighter line down to the highway and come out closer to Mauna Kea resort. For some reason I heard and then forgot, that probably won't happen.

Yep, we love the Molcanoes in our landscape. :D Pu'u is what I was told to call those, cindercones. Hualalai is the volcano that sits above Kailua Kona. It has its own zone, Zone 4. I know I sound geeky about this volcano zone stuff, but DH was very into it when we looked at property. In process, I got into it too.

Sorry, MnMom, to post about Waikoloa in your post, but Dave asked me some questions. :)
The story of your flood and the recovery of your family is very moving!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:08 pm 
Keiki

Back to MnMom's search. Here is my impression. Only a suggestion of one option.
I am worried that you are over-estimating how far your money will go. If I were you, I would not sink the money into land. For one thing, you might not be able to sell the land if you got crunched.

There are places here where you can rent on land that already has fruit trees and a garden and a small house. If you are handy, you might get a rent break for working on the house. You can live your dream, but keep your nest egg for living expenses. You probably won't find a real job here, so maybe you could start a small business with part of that money. After a couple years, you will know some people and know what it costs you to live here. Then if you still have that down payment, you will be able to buy in the right area for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Dave, ackk! I was totally off base about my friend's location. He is more of a friend of my niece, and I haven't been to his house. From what he said, I thought it was high up. I asked, and he is only a few blocks above the shopping center. My niece said it is called "the first quarter"? The other friend is in the second quarter, and his problem is he only lives there in winter, has to have a caretaker because of the theft when he is gone. The first friend actually invited a guy in as a favor, and the guy paid back the favor by stealing. I guess friend has not had "stranger" theft on his land.

That makes a lot of sense. The first quarter being mauka of the highway and being closest to town has the least amount of crime. Just like the Ranchos has little crime. With one exception. Thieves are always looking for homes that are not lived in. If you live there year round they will leave your house alone for the most part. I am speaking in generalities here. If you leave your house for any period of time the thieves will look at you as a mainlander or someone who is rich and can afford the loss. Those people who are snowbirds for instance need a home caretaker to make it look like someone is living there year round.

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Thank you Dave and John for setting me straight on HOVE. Obviously my impressions of it as a lava wasteland were very wrong. I never had any impression of the Ranchos, never knew anyone who owned there. I am sure it is nice because you chose it for your home! :)

No need to thank we are here to educate so everyone knows what it is like here. What is nice to me is not so much with a lot of people. If you do a search here on the forum you will see I have been called all sorts of things for wanting to live out there. Maybe I am a bit of a kook. But if I took you out to my house and let you stay there for a few hours, I believe you will have a better understanding of why I want to live there. I don't expect it will change your mind for what you like in Hawaii. I have lived in Mountain View (Puna District, Hilo side) in the literal rain forest. And loved it! The only time I was not thrilled is when it rained for almost 4 weeks straight! I did not see the sun the whole time. I actually got depressed and my dear wife did something wonderful for me. She made a picnic lunch and took me to the beach in Punaluu. It was a beautiful sunny day over there. I love the Big Island!!! :) :) :)

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
MnMom, stuff that can be stolen here includes not only consumer goods, but generator, building supplies, appliances, fixtures, pipes, solar panels. IMHO you do need to be concerned about where you live and how secure you will be.

This is absolutely correct. Just be aware that this problem is island wide and not just certain parts of the island. Certain parts of the island are worse than other but it is still happens in the best and worst areas.

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Dave, about my location -- here is the hazard map for Waikoloa Village ... in Zone 8, which is Mauna Kea.

See how the Waikoloa resort area south of the Waikoloa Rd junction is in the yellow zone for Mauna Loa? Waikoloa Village is farther north. The road comes in to the highway quite a bit south at both ends. There was a push for a new road that would go in a straighter line down to the highway and come out closer to Mauna Kea resort. For some reason I heard and then forgot, that probably won't happen.

Thanks for the map. My brain is not working as well as it used to. Thanks again for showing me where Waikoloa REALLY is!!! :) :) :)

Pua Kenikeni wrote:
Yep, we love the Molcanoes in our landscape. :D Pu'u is what I was told to call those, cindercones. Hualalai is the volcano that sits above Kailua Kona. It has its own zone, Zone 4. I know I sound geeky about this volcano zone stuff, but DH was very into it when we looked at property. In process, I got into it too.

We are soul geeks!!! I love all the volcano stuff as well. Have you been on the night hike to where the lava flows out to the sea? That is something you will never forget in your lifetime!!!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'm no expert here so I figure John will correct me if I am wrong. I would guess that the tree house/guest house is unpermitted (Very common here). If so the banks will only finance it if the lot with out any unpermitted structures and improvements is appraised at the selling price or higher. Which means you need to be a cash buyer. I don't know if that works for you or not?

One other thing I would question is why the property has been on the market for so long? Even in this economy desirable lots and homes will sell pretty quickly if priced correctly. With that said you will need to get it appraised for $199k. Which may be the reason why it has not sold yet?

MNMom, I would be very careful with this property and the general area. A lot of tourists trespass on properties down there and there are a lot of people coming and going and camping out down there. It takes a different kind of person to live there. Not saying you can't or shouldn't but I would do a lot of research including talking to your possible neighbors.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
Not saying you can't or shouldn't but I would do a lot of research including talking to your possible neighbors.
Provided they want to talk to you! :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, there was a thread about a family on a TripAdvisor forum, they went to Milolii to check it out and the local kids were throwing rocks at their car. They said the adults just looked away and didn't do anything to stop the kids.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:48 am 
Malihini

I occasionally go prawn hunting with friends in Waipio. We haven't had any trouble (yet), but some friends of my buddies have. They had parked at the third river and when they returned there was a large rock perched on the hood. They were from the Kona side, and we speculate that someone nearby doesn't like people and vehicles they don't recognize.

Since the guards have left, I've noticed what seems like bootleg tours going back into the valley. Usually vans or crewcab trucks full of Asians. That is going to make some residents cranky.

If I were going to buy a place in the Valley (which would be nuts), I would look into the tea house. It's much more accessable than the tree house, and would have a more reliable water supply.

Aloha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm 
Keiki

Yeah.... you know... I think we are just going to be putting the whole thing on 'scouting' level until we get boots on the ground and see what the island is like. I appreciate all the input and opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 pm 
Kona Kastoff

MNMom23 wrote:
Yeah.... you know... I think we are just going to be putting the whole thing on 'scouting' level until we get boots on the ground and see what the island is like. I appreciate all the input and opinions.
Did we scare you?! :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, smart, very smart!

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Page 7 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next