It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 9 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Aloha! And Welcome to the Big Island Forum!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am 
Kama

Aloha kakou! We are `Ihilani Coffee & Tropicals offering 100% Big Island estate coffees. We have big plans for our 5.66 acres in Puna including off-grid living, coffee/cacao/vanilla/avocado growing, aquaponics, horses, chickens, etc. Check out our website www.ihilanicoffee.com and please "like" our facebook page: www.facebook.com/Ihilani.Coffee.Company. We are a small business and passionate about the Big Island...your assistance in spreading the word is much appreciated.
Candi and Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm 
Kama

Hi Dave,

A couple years ago a good friend and I visited Hawaii on swimming tour from Australia. We fell in love with Hawaii and especially the Kona lifestyle, people, weather etc. Now we have both graduated high school and making our way through our tertiary education.

These past few years we have always discussed visiting Hawaii, in particular Kona again. Only recently the prospect of even living there for 6-10 months has arisen, once we finish studying in a few years or so. My questions to you, or anyone else are, what are employment opportunities like in Kona? In our particular interests are swimming teaching, scuba diving instruction, spring/summer camps but not limited to hospitality, customer service and clerical work. We are also wondering about the cost of living, are there many other backpackers/young travellers doing the same thing? What's the market like for a share house/apartment?

Cheers and Aloha from Sydney!
Ewan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I don't know if you can live here for 6-10 months or not, I guess that depends on your visa, but you better have a work permit to work here, otherwise you will have a rude awakening. :( There are no apartment buildings in Kona, but you can rent a room in a house for $400-$500/month + share of the utilities. Hawaii is not very friendly for backpackers. The cost of living is high here, and since we don't have public transportation, you have to have a car to get around.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:30 am 
Keiki

I don’t believe this is the forum for the people you might want to discuss this type of information. Everyone here seems to have a bit more settled lifestyle.

I would suggest if you are seriously interested in becoming “part timers” you come to Hawaii in person during high season and seek out others who are doing a similar type of job. I know my 20-something aged sons had conversations with guys working on the whale watching tour boats who are here in the Hawaiian tourist heavy winter and then go to Alaska for their tourist time in the summer (northern hemisphere seasons).

Judging by what is desired by tourists, I see there is a call for additional folks to work on the various tourist related activities during the time when many folks visit our beautiful island. I estimate it is Nov-April, but others may amend this, I think it may depend on your specific activity.

I also know that some mostly tourist popular activities have a difficult time getting a full capacity crowd during the summer (except on days when the cruise ship is in port, and that is only on Wednesdays when only one ship sails here). Some days they don't even have a tour as there is not enough people to make it worth the gas they spend on their boat/vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Admin

ewanthomas wrote:
Hi Dave,

A couple years ago a good friend and I visited Hawaii on swimming tour from Australia. We fell in love with Hawaii and especially the Kona lifestyle, people, weather etc. Now we have both graduated high school and making our way through our tertiary education.

These past few years we have always discussed visiting Hawaii, in particular Kona again. Only recently the prospect of even living there for 6-10 months has arisen, once we finish studying in a few years or so. My questions to you, or anyone else are, what are employment opportunities like in Kona? In our particular interests are swimming teaching, scuba diving instruction, spring/summer camps but not limited to hospitality, customer service and clerical work. We are also wondering about the cost of living, are there many other backpackers/young travellers doing the same thing? What's the market like for a share house/apartment?

Cheers and Aloha from Sydney!
Ewan

Aloha Ewan,

I am glad you share our love for this beautiful place!!!

First, I would make sure your visa is in place and you are capable of visiting here for the period of time you are planning on. Then I would find a hostel for you to stay in while you are here. Make sure you know their rules and prices. They may limit the amount of time you can stay. Then I would start looking for a job! The local newspaper and Internet are good places to get started. I would also ask around the hostel about local temporary jobs. Same goes for housing. Probably easier to find a room for rent than trying to find an apartment away from town. Rent a scooter for a few days and go hit up all of the scuba rental and class places and see if you can catch on with any of them.

Good luck and keep us informed on your plans!!!!

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am 
Malihini

marybethw wrote:
I would suggest if you are seriously interested in becoming “part timers” you come to Hawaii in person during high season and seek out others who are doing a similar type of job. I know my 20-something aged sons had conversations with guys working on the whale watching tour boats who are here in the Hawaiian tourist heavy winter and then go to Alaska for their tourist time in the summer (northern hemisphere seasons). Judging by what is desired by tourists, I see there is a call for additional folks to work on the various tourist related activities during the time when many folks visit our beautiful island. I estimate it is Nov-April, but others may amend this, I think it may depend on your specific activity. I also know that some mostly tourist popular activities have a difficult time getting a full capacity crowd during the summer (except on days when the cruise ship is in port, and that is only on Wednesdays when only one ship sails here). Some days they don't even have a tour as there is not enough people to make it worth the gas they spend on their boat/vehicle.
marybethw, I think you missed the fact that he is an Australian. Nobody will hire him without a work permit. The penalties are just way too great to risk hiring undocumented workers now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am 
Keiki

You are right I did not notice/care about his nationality. I assume that someone contemplating a move to another country would be pro-active and learn about whatever requirements there would be to work in that country before becoming serious about a move.

My response was assuming he had/was able to get whatever he needed to work here.

This is different from us retirees who only put money INTO an economy from already existing retirement accounts. Most places love to have us come and spend our money to help boost their local merchants and businesses. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:44 am 
Kama

Aloha and an introduction....

A bit about us:

Looking forward to moving back soon and connecting with good-hearted folks on this forum (and in Punaweb, though I won't hold my breath - have been lurking there recently and not gotten much aloha). Used to live on the east side (Hilo) and briefly in Ka'u (HOVR). My husband and I have entered our 30s since leaving the island and are trying to get together the cash for buying a piece of land by next summer. Currently in the Pacific NW wrapping up my Masters in Teaching (elementary). We love hand-built, well-made, Hawaii style structures, and eventually hope to build something modest (@ or under 1,000 sq ft) in a safer neighborhood. We may end up in Puna but it honestly depends on where I may get a job. After some obscene medical bills in our early 20's hurt our credit, I don't think we can qualify for a traditional mortgage yet (dreams of S. Kona perhaps going out the window), hence the desire to be owner-builders and pay cash as we go when we are ready. I am looking at applying for work in a couple of charter schools since the DOE schools can be tough to break into (so I hear, which is funny given how needed qualified teachers are but not surprising given that it's Hawaii). My spouse may try his hand at wedding photography throughout the islands (both BA and MFA, he's really good @ what he does) but has former work connections on-island that are meager but available when we get back.

We love meeting new people and talking story. There's plenty of good information on this forum, keep it coming!!

Kelsi and Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Kona Forum!

That is quite a resume considering how young you are. I personally think your plans are doable to an extent. So here are some of my thoughts.

HOVR is still a low crime area. Especially the lower in the subdivision you get. With only one way in and out in most areas not many criminals run through there. Mostly, I have seen tourists and locals looking for a private place to: A. Dump something illegal, B. Smoke something illegal, or C. Have some adult fun. Either way you can just easily and quickly run them out. South Kona (Really South Kona) may still be within your reach. Some areas being worse than others.

The problem is as you know that it is quite far from Kona where your partner is going to need to work and have an office if wedding photography is his goal. I would highly suggest he have a backup plan. For instance I would consider studying the local want ads to see what type of jobs are always in demand. Things such as ASE Certified Mechanic, CDL Truck Driver, Tour Guide, etc. Are almost always in demand on the island. Getting the right certifications/licenses might be a good backup plan just in case.

I am surprised to hear you are having an issue getting into the DOE. Just a few years ago I know 3 different people who applied, interviewed, and received offers in a very short time period. But for one reason or another none of them accepted the positions. Or in the case of one of them they accepted but then never showed up. Still don't know what happened to her. Maybe they are being ore cautious these days. Just like with your spouse, it will probably be better to try and get in after you move here.

As far as Punaweb is concerned. I have e-mailed the owner of the forum a few times and he wants the forum to be "Real". In other words, he doesn't want to sensor anyone for fear of changing the persona of the forum. I disagree with him because just a few bad seeds dominate the forum. Hence your lack of that Aloha feeling. I personally don't feel it is indicative of the population in Puna but again that is just my opinion. I try to keep those bad seeds out but I encourage everyone to be honest and have intelligent and peaceful conversations. No name calling, no insults, no bullying, etc.

Let us know how your plans are coming!!!!

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 am 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
As far as Punaweb is concerned. I have e-mailed the owner of the forum a few times and he wants the forum to be "Real". In other words, he doesn't want to sensor anyone for fear of changing the persona of the forum. I disagree with him because just a few bad seeds dominate the forum. Hence your lack of that Aloha feeling. I personally don't feel it is indicative of the population in Puna but again that is just my opinion. I try to keep those bad seeds out but I encourage everyone to be honest and have intelligent and peaceful conversations. No name calling, no insults, no bullying, etc.
I stopped posting on that forum a year or two ago exactly for the reasons Dave mentioned. A couple of aholes make it a habit to harass/attack people there and the webmaster doesn't do anything about it.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm 
Kama

Yeah, the general attitude within Punaweb is just not that welcoming. I "get" that a lot of people are skeptical about newbies who aren't on-island yet, given how many of us are pie-in-the-sky dreamers who will either a.) not make it very long in the islands, or b.) never get off the ground with their plans, or even make it over. That said, nearly all of us have been a transplant at some point. I just have to roll my eyes a little at the lack of inclusion when we've all more-or-less been in the same place in transitioning here....

Thanks for the welcome, John and Dave. As far as the DOE goes, I had always assumed the same in ease of getting a job, but was warned by a woman (ha, on Punaweb! :| ) who is a teacher on the east side that a DOE recruiter strongly encouraged her presence on-island before offering her a job - her personal experience about 10 years ago. I've actually been trying to get in touch with her privately to confirm or deny this. In the meantime, and because I am overly eager/potentially annoying to future employers, I am going to contact the particular charter schools I am interested in as well as the DOE recruitment office. We also have some connections to the local schools through friends and previous work (I used to work for a prominent therapy program for at-risk teens; hubby worked with kids as well).

Dunno if I'd want to be in HOVR again, or in Ka'u. It works for some but it just wasn't quite what I needed (we surf and get in the ocean as much as we can, limited options for quick & easy pau hana ocean time).

Page 9 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9