It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Aloha! And Welcome to the Big Island Forum!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Aloha! And Welcome to the Big Island Forums! Rules for the Aloha! Forum - Please Read!

You have arrived in the Aloha! forum. Here you may introduce yourself to your fellow Big Island Forum Members and remember to give us a little bit of your backround so we can know a little bit about you. You can post about anything you like here. Just remember that in this forum you must post with Aloha! This means you must be friendly and accomodating to everyone at all times.

You are welcome to register and participate in all the forums that are available! All I ask is that there is no profanity or personal attacks on anyone! This can be and is not limited to calling someone names and/or describing something they did or are doing with a derogatory remark. If you break these rules we will register your IP address and you will be banned from the forums and the website altogether. Please do not be sensitive to any remarks and/or corrections made to anything you post. Keep in mind that typed words do not come with facial expressions and a tone of voice. It is too easy for someone to take something in a way that a post was not intended to be taken. If you are easily offended please keep your posting to this forum (Aloha!).

The profanity rule is waved in all the adult forums.

So come on in and relax on your lanai with your special recipe Mai Tai and post away!

KonaDave (Administrator)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:08 am 
Keiki

Hi Dave, My punaweb is down for a while, think they are updating their merchant info or have the virus (hope not). So I've come over to the Aloha side to say hello and whatz up. Are most of your members on island or off?

We are planning a trip over in February to the rainy side and get some land prepped. Will be a very short trip 7 days if all goes well.

Seen any good movies lately?

Been to a great restaurant you want to suggest?

Looking for a good restaurant? Good beach, good tour company????

What is the best gift you have purchased on the Big Island and brought home to a friend or family member? What do people want you to bring back for them? Any suggestions?
Aloha,
duzies mom

Post subject: Your Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Aloha!

I have been sick the last few days so I have not been able to answer you until now.

Most of my memebers so far are from The Lanai. So there is a good mix of on and off island people signed up so far.

Good luck with getting your land ready for building. Do you have your plans approved yet? What are you building? For instance a 2bed/2bath 1100 sq.ft.? If you have an artists rendering that would be nice to see.

My wife and I watch a fair amount of movies through Netflix. We don't have the time to go out and wait in long lines to see a movie. Where we live there is only one 18 room theater. The next one is about 10 miles away so we just rent and watch them when we can find the time.

One of favorite restaurants used to be the Kona Style. It was a place a locals went to and they had especially great breakfasts. But this last time my wife and I were there we felt the quality of the food went way down. So next time out we intend to find a new place. My personal favorite is called Bamboo and it is located in Hawi. Quite a drive from Kona and even more of a drive for you. But if you ever get out to the north end of the island I highly recommend any of their fresh fish dishes!

When we buy gifts for people on the BI we like to get items made by the locals. Locally made jewelry made from Koa and/or shells are usually appreciated. I bought some music for myself when we were out there last. My wife is pretty good at finding inexpensive handmade jewelry in the $5-$20 range. A friend of ours (I consider her my second Mom) asked us to stop at a cloth shop and buy some patterns and material for her. Being a seamstress she likes to make her own clothes but can't get real nice hawaiian prints here on the mainland. My wife bought a Hawaiian Shirt pattern. Not sure why, she wouldn't tell me. I think either her or my second Mom or both of them may be conspiring to make me some shirts! Sounds kewl to me! Also, people have asked us to bring them back some exotic orchids that they cannot get here.

We love the BI and all the beaches we have visited so far. I think next time we will try to get down to Waipio beach. From the lookout above it is beautiful! We don't usually use tour companies except maybe to book our trip. In other words once we get to the island we don't do many tourist type things. We just go and explore mostly. Which is why we fell in love with the BI. For our bookings I usually use Pleasant Holidays. They are not the cheapest but they have never made a mistake and they have offices all over all of the islands so if you run into a problem you have someone you can converse with in person.

Aloha!

KonaDave (Dave B)

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: Clothing Option(al)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:26 am 
Kama

Dave,

Try Kimura Store in Kainaliu for great Hawaiian fabrics.

Aloha, Ken

Post subject: Aloha y'all
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:28 pm 
Kama

I'm Patty from Woodland Hills, CA, spouse of Steve, Mom of many.....

We're moving to Umauma as soon as the gods of permitting, weather and construction are in agreement. We've owned our little piece of paradise for over two years now but the road has been long and since I hope for this to be my last move, we want to be sure we get everything right.

I've enjoyed the many good people I've met through Konaweb, Hiloweb and the Lanai. I'm looking forward to enjoying your posts and getting to know you through this virtual reality.

There is much to share.

Patty

Post subject: Aloha Patty!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Kona Forum Patty!

I wish you and your family the best with your move and your new life on the BI!!!!!

Let us know how things progress and what you have learned from your experiences so we can learn from them as well!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: Howdy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:51 pm 
Malihini

Aloha,

I've been around Kona web for a while so many of you may recognize me. It will be nice to be able to post a message without having it deleted for what ever reason, like being in competiton to the site. :shock: I'm new so I'll probably keep my mouth shut for at least a day or 2.

Last edited by Todd on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd

Post subject: Aloha Todd!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:37 am 
Site Admin

Aloha Todd! Welcome to the Kona Forum!

I prefer to not consider us in competition with the Kona Web. Rather I would like to think of us as another alternative, a better alternative. Obviously we are going to compete with each other. So in reality you are correct that there is a bit of competitve spirit between the two boards.

I think the biggest difference is in the censorship between the two boards. I do not wish to censor anything here at the Kona Forum. I feel that while the name Kona Forum might be censored and removed from other boards, and the person(s) who mention the name may have their accounts removed, that will not happen here. With that said I would like to ask that nothing bad is said about any of the other boards here including Kona Web. There is a bit of censorship going on here in the public forums at the Kona Forum and I ask that everything be kept to a PG rating. Mostly because I don't want any children to be exposed to extreme bad language and things of a raunchy nature.

We have a new forum called John's Lanai that is private and not accessible by the general public. In this forum everyone is allowed to speak freely and will not be censored unless someone starts threatening another user. That will not be tolerated. All the of the rants and raves and dirty jokes are in John's Lanai. You have been given access to John's Lanai since you were invited by John himself.

Don't be shy about posting. Just do me a favor and keep all of the rants and adult postings to John's Lanai. :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:36 am 
Da Kine

Dave,
I have to finally comment on the apparent problems you and others have had with discussion forums. While there is always another side to every story, the experience you describe with KonaWeb and The Lanai is shared be several others. It's understandable and I'm thankful that you have started your own forum free from personal vendetas and unreasonable censorship. I appreciate the balance you've brought to this forum by setting up areas where we can share recipies, and other areas where adults can speak their minds.

I just wanted to comment that I look forward to a long and healthy relationship. :wink:

Thanks a ton,
Brian

Post subject: Thanks Brian!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:51 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Brian! I cannot take all the credit for the way this board is being run. I have to admit that when I first started out I made contact with Rob from PW and John form HW. Both of them gave me only one piece of advice. And that I should not allow bashing between the boards on the public forums. I agree that this is a good policy. As I stated before, I prefer to live in harmony with the other boards not compete with them. I belive we all have our strengths and weaknesses. And I think it is obvious what they are. I wish we had more people posting here, though. I have to admit that we have only been around officially since February 2006. So considering how new this board is I think we have a great group of regulars! :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: Planning to retire and build a home within 10 years.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:02 am 
Kama

0I am a Master Plumber and HVAC/Mechanical Contractor in Michigan. We plan to retire within 10 years and build a solar efficient home with photo-voltaic and hot water heating. What do the islanders recommend for cooling? We only need a two bedroom home with a workshop and two car garage. I would like to build near Kona but not within the City limits. Where is an affordable place to buy land and possibly set a modular home? We would like the names of modular home builders in the area. Please reply so we can start planning. We also own three timeshares in the Waikiki BreackWalk that we will sell after we move. We also do not want to disrupt the island culture and features that we love so well.

Post subject: Superplumber_mi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:14 am 
Malihini

Welcome superplumber_mi, I'm a Building Contractor in California planning to build a home on the Big Island in the future. We own property on the southern part of the island, and will be using solar water heating and photovoltaics. Check with John Rabi about property in Hawaii, because he is an expert Real Estate Broker and a member here. Aloha! - Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Aloha Tim,

Welcome to the Kona Forum! I recommend that you first decide which area(s) that you can afford to buy a piece of land. As you move farther away you can afford a larger piece of land and a better location such as an ocean view. You can use the Hawaii MLS system at http://hawaiiinformation.com to check out land prices and locations.

Once you figure out the general area(s) that you can afford then you can start checking out at what elevation you want to live. The higher up you get the cooler the temperatures will be. You may need to install a wood burning stove for cooler evenings depending on the elevation. Most people do not install cooling in their homes as the tradewinds are usually sufficient. Some people use fans if things warm up a little too much. I would also recommend that you e-mail John Rabi through the board here as he can give you a list of the better home providers to deal with. I can give you a list but I hear some of them are not so great to work with.

Good luck with your planning and please keep us informed on how it is going and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: Aloha Dave and all on forum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:54 am 
Kama

My friend Pete Brown introduced me to this forum, so I came on over. Pete and I used to work together in California. Now I am living in Volcano, where my husband and I are putting together a wedding business. I should say an alternative wedding business.

The idea is to provide a place for small intimate weddings here in the rainforest, with elegance and romance. The costs will be very low, more like a runaway wedding, but with aloha. To go along with it, we are building a treehouse nearby, using recycled and sustainable materials like bamboo, and the artisanship of local crafts people for stained glass windows and such.

Right now, it would be very helpful to meet up with someone who is knowledgeable about bamboo as a building material. I will post additionally about that.

Looking forward to getting to know people here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum! You are welcome to post all you wish. My nephew used to do wedding expos on the mainland. I encouraged him to do an expo here but something happened and he never did.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Page 1 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next