It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aloha from NYC!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:26 am 
Kama

Aloha all,

My name's Joshua and I'm currently living in NYC (yeah, the anti-aloha place, I know). My wife and I visited the island last month, and we liked it. We liked it so much that we're in contract to buy a place in Kona now! (Sight unseen...although it's in the same building where we stayed for a few days, so we've almost seen it.) My wife liked the investment/rental income angle, and I liked the seeing-the-ocean-from-my-lana'i angle. :) For now, it'd be a second home/vacation rental for us, but I envision us eventually retiring to it.

Looked like a good community on here and so I thought I'd join up. I also have an immediate question to ask -- does anyone have any recommendations on a good property management company in Kona?

Looking forward to learning more about the area and returning to it before too long!

Post subject: Re: Aloha from NYC!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 am 
Kona Kastoff

NYC is not an anti-aloha place, I just know since I lived there before moving to the Big Island. :lol: :lol: :lol: Buying ANYTHING sight unseen, especially real estate, is a VERY bad idea. If I were you, I would get out of the deal, but if you don't, at least make sure you get a professional home inspection. That will be money well spent.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

caimanjosh wrote:
Aloha all,

My name's Joshua and I'm currently living in NYC (yeah, the anti-aloha place, I know). My wife and I visited the island last month, and we liked it. We liked it so much that we're in contract to buy a place in Kona now! (Sight unseen...although it's in the same building where we stayed for a few days, so we've almost seen it.) My wife liked the investment/rental income angle, and I liked the seeing-the-ocean-from-my-lana'i angle. :) For now, it'd be a second home/vacation rental for us, but I envision us eventually retiring to it.

Looked like a good community on here and so I thought I'd join up. I also have an immediate question to ask -- does anyone have any recommendations on a good property management company in Kona?

Looking forward to learning more about the area and returning to it before too long!

CaimanJosh,

E-mail me at davebrilliant @ gmail.com with the address of your property and I will pass it on to a property manager I know of. If he has room for another tenant he will contact you.

I wouldn't call NYC anti-aloha as much as they just have a different idea of what aloha really is. I agree with John about getting your place inspected.

I wish you luck with your investment/retirement home. I am doing a similar thing. Just waiting until I can collect SS and I am retiring over there to my home.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:15 am 
Kama

Thanks to both of you for the replies and advice. As for getting it inspected, I will definitely be doing that. I'm actually getting Charles Cartwright (Big Island Inspection) to do it, based off advice I found elsewhere on this forum! (I think that was your input, John?) I also had my realtor walk through while taking a video and narrating, and then she sent that to me. It's a dated apartment, but the price is right and the view is great (and that's what I'm really looking for).

Another thing I've been wondering is -- is the weather there this summer typical for Kona? Or has it been warmer than usual? I was looking at the climate averages (from the weather underground site) and it appears that it's been warmer than average...but I'm not sure that the "average" figures are really correct. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Since I am currently living on Oahu and not in Kona I can only speak to the general weather we have had over the last year or so. Last year was an El Nino year so we had a lot of hot, humid weather without the benefit of the tradewinds as often as we are used to. We had a lot of uncomfortable nights last year as well as hot humid days. We don'y have air conditioning here so the days and nights were uncomfortable. And there were many days and nights like that last year. Much more than normal.

Up until the El Nino I have not noticed any particular trend of being warmer over the last few years. Actually, 2 or 3 years ago I think I remember the weather being milder than normal. Not as many hot days/nights.

So far this year it feels like a normal year to me. The trades have been with us a normal amount but when we don't have them it can get miserable. Also, we have had a lot of rain over here so far from all the storm activity so far this year. With that said I recall earlier this year Dan Cooke saying that we are still going to have some El Nino effects this year.

That's about the best I can tell you.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:55 am 
Kama

Thanks for the weather discussion....I'm a bit of a weather geek (missed my calling, perhaps) and find all of that pretty interesting. One thing I do wonder about -- would the Big Island be a bit hotter than the other islands, perhaps? I'm thinking that because (1) it's a bit further south, and (2) it's larger, so it might get a slightly more continental-type climate (a bit less marine influence, esp. away from the coast). Of course, obviously any areas at altitude are quite cool.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:22 am 
Site Admin

caimanjosh wrote:
Thanks for the weather discussion....I'm a bit of a weather geek (missed my calling, perhaps) and find all of that pretty interesting. One thing I do wonder about -- would the Big Island be a bit hotter than the other islands, perhaps? I'm thinking that because (1) it's a bit further south, and (2) it's larger, so it might get a slightly more continental-type climate (a bit less marine influence, esp. away from the coast). Of course, obviously any areas at altitude are quite cool.

I really don't know the answer to your question. It feels the same to me whether I am on the leeward side of Oahu or the Leeward side of the BI. But I will say that the Leeward side of Oahu gets more rain than the Leeward side of the BI. Could it be warmer because the island is sitting on top of all that volcanic activity? Who knows? All I know is that when I am on the BI I feel like I am home. And over here I feel like I am just visiting. If you do a study of the state and island in particular I will be happy to post your findings here.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:54 am 
Malihini

I grew up in Brooklyn and have been here about 13 years now. I think NY'ers are just as friendly as people here, in many cases more so (think some people who relocated from Northern CA or Oregon and insist that because they don't want to see anything that reminds them of home it CANNOT be allowed here)!

I describe the difference to my local friends this way. If you are in NY and are standing around looking lost, everyone will come and try to help you out. If you speak some obscure language, they will call around until they find someone to translate. Once they know what you are looking for they will make sure you know how to get there. BUT, they don't want to know why you want to go there. The fact that it is your Aunty's birthday and Unko asked you to find lei, and you heard there was a place that makes loco moco nearby...... You get my drift. Just as much friendliness and willingness to help, just no time to talk story!

About the weather, the Kona area gets virtually no wind. The trades don't come here, so I would say that yes, we are hotter and more humid than Oahu because of this. If you watch the weather, while they make virtually no mention of anyplace other than Oahu, and Guy Hagi usually stands in front of us when he is talking, they do show current temps, and especially at night Kona is the hottest place in the state, sometimes by 10 degrees. We live at about 850' and have no air conditioning or heat, but the clouds come over by the afternoon most days and it is quite comfortable. There are usually about 10 days during the year when I wish I had AC, so we spend alot more time in the pool, but other than that it's fine. Down by the coast is another story, no clouds, no wind, so I would think lots of time with the air on, again it is all relative to your sweat tolerance.

Aloha and Fuhgeddaboudit,
Joyce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 pm 
Kama

Quote:
Aloha and Fuhgeddaboudit

:lol: That made me chuckle. But yes, actually, my dislike of NYC isn't really so much because of the people (other than the fact that there are TOO MANY of them here). More the constant noise, the grim ugly concrete scenery everywhere, and that feeling of dashing about like a rat through a maze all the time. Thankfully I now live on Roosevelt Island (seems I'm destined to live on islands), which is a lot more pleasant than Manhattan.

Thanks for the details on Kona's climate. I found this interesting page here: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/narratives/HAWAII.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does seem to confirm that trade winds are basically blocked in Kona. However, it mentions that there's a pretty reliable sea breeze during the day, and a mild land breeze at night. That more or less matches my brief experience there, though it did seem there were times when neither existed, maybe around early morning or early evening.

The other good thing is, the beach is never far away.... 8)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]