It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Aloha from the Redwoods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:36 pm 
Keiki

Reintroducing myself. I had originally joined back in 2008, expecting to be able to move by 2010. As you all know, the economy collapsed, so I was forced to keep working for the next 7 years. The good thing was that I paid off my acre of land in HOVE. I retired from my job end of March this year, and I think we're (my wife and I) finally ready to start building and make the move over to Paradise.

My wife of 38 years is disabled, (environmental allergies)so we look forward to the clean air of the Big Island.

We're coming over in October to reassess the whole situation and start checking out contractors. Any suggestions for contractors would be greatly appreciated.

Not much else to say right now except I'm glad to be back.

Darrell

Post subject: Re: Aloha from the Redwoods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 am 
Kona Kastoff

onyxtiger wrote:
Reintroducing myself. I had originally joined back in 2008, expecting to be able to move by 2010. As you all know, the economy collapsed, so I was forced to keep working for the next 7 years. The good thing was that I paid off my acre of land in HOVE. I retired from my job end of March this year, and I think we're (my wife and I) finally ready to start building and make the move over to Paradise.

My wife of 38 years is disabled, (environmental allergies)so we look forward to the clean air of the Big Island.

We're coming over in October to reassess the whole situation and start checking out contractors. Any suggestions for contractors would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell

Clean air?! Have you heard of VOGLand?! :) :) :) I can highly recommend Mike Munnerlyn of Munnerlyn Construction. He lives in Pahala, has been in business for 30 + years, has built numerous homes for my clients, friends and family, and I have never ever heard a single bad word about him. You can reach him at builditkau@yahoo.com or 808.936.5643. Feel free to use my name for reference.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 am 
Keiki

Quote:
Clean air?! Have you heard of VOGLand?! :) :) :) I can highly recommend Mike Munnerlyn of Munnerlyn Construction. He lives in Pahala, has been in business for 30 + years, has built numerous homes for my clients, friends and family, and I have never ever heard a single bad word about him. You can reach him at builditkau@yahoo.com or 808.936.5643. Feel free to use my name for reference.

Yeah, I'm aware of the VOG. But as our property is at 4,000 feet, I was told we were above the VOG layer. Is that incorrect information? We saw no problem when we last visited the property (2008).

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give him a call to set something up in Oct when we come over.

Darrell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 am 
Malihini

I can second Mike Munnerlyn.

The vog can change from day to day. I'm not sure that I agree that at 4,000 feet you will be above it. We've driven to the top of OV and run into terrible vog. Hopefully when you are here you will be able to spend enough time to find out for yourself.

Does your property at 4,000 feet have electricity, or will you be off-grid?

Congrats on the retirement. We, too, had a seven-year plan before we moved, so I can empathize. Been in Discovery Harbour for five years now and LOVE IT in Ka'u!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 am 
Keiki

I'm only going on what I was told in the past about the VOG layer.
I would like to be off grid. I believe electricity is available, but from what everybody says, it's really expensive. I can't afford really expensive. Hmmmm, propane heater and candles. Who needs a tv anyway? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 am 
Site Admin

onyxtiger wrote:

Darrell

Welcome to the forum Darrell. I made the move in 2008 after things had started to collapse. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as far as having to continue to work. I have to wait for approximately another 4-5 years. It appears I need to be able to collect Social Security (5 years) and I need to pay off a rental unit (4 years). It is a good thing you paid off that land. Keep us informed on how things go with the home building.

One question I have though is how does your wife do on those days that the Vog is bad up in HOVE? I know it doesn't get over there any where near as often nor as bad as it used to. But on those days that it is bad I just wonder how she will affected? Not trying to put a damper on your move just wondering if you already know about the Vog and have a plan? Or maybe she isn't affected by it at all? My wife gets a headache. I get a scratchy throat.

We are happy to have you back. Let us know who you pick as a contractor.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:29 pm 
Keiki

[/quote]
Welcome to the forum Darrell. I made the move in 2008 after things had started to collapse. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as far as having to continue to work. I have to wait for approximately another 4-5 years. It appears I need to be able to collect Social Security (5 years) and I need to pay off a rental unit (4 years). It is a good thing you paid off that land. Keep us informed on how things go with the home building.

One question I have though is how does your wife do on those days that the Vog is bad up in HOVE? I know it doesn't get over there any where near as often nor as bad as it used to. But on those days that it is bad I just wonder how she will affected? Not trying to put a damper on your move just wondering if you already know about the Vog and have a plan? Or maybe she isn't affected by it at all? My wife gets a headache. I get a scratchy throat.

We are happy to have you back. Let us know who you pick as a contractor.[/quote]

We don't know how or if the VOG will affect her. We've not experienced it thus far in our trips to the Big Island. It may not bother her too much as her allergies are with airborne hydrocarbons. In other words, car and diesel exhaust, perfumes, colognes, any petroleum based product. As VOG is not petroleum based, (at least I don't think it is), it may not bother her.

If it does, we'll be going to the ER.

Thanks for your concern and possible warning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link to the official government website regarding Vog:

http://health.hawaii.gov/cab/files/2013 ... g_qa_1.pdf The worst part of if is sulfur dioxide (SO2).

I have a house in the Ranchos and most of the time it passes around and below me or above me up in the Estates. But every once in a while it comes right to us. Your elevation of 4k feet is probably higher than it will get. However, it could still come up that high occasionally depending on the winds. The last couple of years has not been bad however. Even when it is right on you. Mostly due to the volcano not producing it as much as before. I am just worried about her sensitivity to respiratory issues.

I may have a contractor reference for you as well. Not promising anything. I know their work, and it is good, but I don't know if they are licensed or not. If not I won't recommend them. Are you looking for a package home? Or do you have something different in mind?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 pm 
Keiki

I'm figuring a package home as that's likely the cheapest way to go.
I'm retired, money's tight. :(

We actually do not know what the Vog will do as we've not experienced it yet. It's one of those 'we'll see what happens when it happens'. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

onyxtiger wrote:
I'm figuring a package home as that's likely the cheapest way to go.
I'm retired, money's tight. :(

We actually do not know what the Vog will do as we've not experienced it yet. It's one of those 'we'll see what happens when it happens'. :roll:

We lived in a package home when we lived Hilo side. It was a nice place. In the rain forest. I wish you only the best. I hope it comes to fruition for you!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:05 pm 
Malihini

Package homes are much nicer nowadays, and they are much cheaper to build than custom homes. However, I would shy away from unlicensed 'contrators' since they are not contractors, and it could cost you much more to use them than a licensed constructor. I'm surprised David even would recommend anyone not licensed. :?:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:28 pm 
Keiki

Well, there were 2 votes for Mike Munnerlyn as a contractor. Unfortunately, he will not be available to meet with during the time I'm over there. So, I'm still in a quandary as to a contractor. I've got another couple of names I've been given. Anybody have any thoughts on these two?

Jack Richard
Raymond Kevis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Kona Dave wrote:
...but I don't know if they are licensed or not. If not I won't recommend them.

Sorry, the company I know that does this type of work turned out to be unlicensed so I won't recommend them.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 pm 
Malihini

Jack Richard does a lot of building in our area and appears to be quite reliable. He seems to do well with package homes. It really helps to have someone who has experience with the Hawaii County Building Department!

I've never heard of Raymond Kevis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 pm 
Keiki

Babette wrote:
Jack Richard does a lot of building in our area and appears to be quite reliable. He seems to do well with package homes. It really helps to have someone who has experience with the Hawaii County Building Department!

I've never heard of Raymond Kevis.

Hmmm, his company is Kaalaea Construction, Ltd. I could have sworn I got his name from somebody here on the forum.
I guess I'm losing my mind. :oops:

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next