It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aloha from Tacoma, Washington!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 am 
Keiki

Hi there! I am so glad I found this forum! I have been looking around for a couple days and decided it was time to introduce myself :) My name's Danielle and my husband's name is Andrew. We are in our late 20's, no kiddos just 3 adorable furbabies (kitties). We live in Tacoma, WA and both grew up in the state. We HATE IT!

I own my own jewelry business and was able to quit my FT banking job back in October of 2012. My hubby started a business making the supplies that I use to make my jewelry back in January of 2013 and as of October 2013, he was also able to quit his FT job outside the home. I have a shop on etsy and my own stand alone website and we make our living on jewelry and love it! It gives us financial freedom and flexibility on where we live. Which leads to why I am here on this forum :lol:

First time we visited Hawaii was for our honeymoon back in 2008 and we stayed in the Waikiki area of Oahu. We enjoyed the weather and the beaches but didn't really like how busy and touristy it was. July of 2013 we finally made it back but this time we went to Kauai since we heard it was a lot more laid back. We enjoyed it and it was very beautiful but maybe a little too laid back for us. Next month we are headed to Maui for a couple weeks to look around and see if we like the island. We plan on making it to the BI in a couple months to see what we think of it as well. I am leaning more towards the BI because of all the climate changes. We are used to WA weather with rain, cloudiness, gloomy, etc... which we dont like but it wouldn't be bad if it were to rain every once in a while. Especially if it's still warm out! My hubby loves the thought of being able to snowboard on Mauna Kea and then go to the beach in the same day. How cool is that?! :lol:

Anyway, sorry if this is too long. I am just so excited at the prospect of moving to Hawaii and I am so happy to be HERE in these forums to share the excitement. I'm sure I will be posting some questions as we take steps to make this dream a reality!

Post subject: Re: Aloha from Tacoma, Washington!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Forum!!!

I would suggest you really investigate any area you decide to move to long before you move. Hawaii is not for everyone and most people find that out AFTER they move here and end up moving back. Hawaii is quite different and can be quite difficult to live here. It is not exactly what you see as a tourist. So after you decide on an island and a basic area I would suggest you rent a place in that area and just live there like you normally would for a month or two. I am not trying to discourage you. Rather I am trying to be brutally honest so you won't be so surprised when culture shock sinks in.

Please feel free to ask whatever you like. You will get honest answers here that are not sugar coated. :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Please don't get me wrong, but I get daily e-mails from people who never have been to the Big Island about moving to the Big Island. I own a real estate company here and I have seen numerous people moving here and numerous people moving back to the mainland with broken dreams. Do yourself a favor and don't plan on doing anything until you visit the Big Island. (The more is better, this island is larger than all the other islands combined!) All the Hawaiian islands are different and while any given island might be ideal for some people, that same island might not be so ideal for some others. I moved here 21+ years ago after visiting six times.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:19 pm 
Keiki

Oh yes, we plan on going to the Big Island at least 3 times before making a decision. We are headed to Maui next month too so we can get a feel for all the islands (we have already been to Oahu and Kauai).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 pm 
Malihini

Smart decision, we visited three times before moving here. After visiting all the islands more than once, we concluded the Big Island was it for us. Most everybody advised us against Waikoloa Village but that's where we settled and love it here.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]