It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Aloha from Atlanta!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:37 am 
Kama

Aloha everyone
I am planning a trip to the Island for my cousin's 40th in November. We already have a place in Hilo for a few days and then the Kona side for the remainder of our trip. I would greatly appreciate any tips on renting...i currently have a 4dr jeep secure for 12 days for $768 wondering if thats good or if i should wait.
also, looking for a good luau but on a friday. we want it for her actual birthday. Would love to hear any suggestions!!

Post subject: Re: Aloha from Atlanta!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am 
Kona Kastoff

The Courtyard Marriott has the best luau. I don't know the prices for Jeeps, but why do you need a Jeep? You can't take it off the paved road and the Jeeps are not very good for highway driving.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:42 pm 
Malihini

John is the authority on food and beverage, but he's a scrub when it comes to cars and cigars. My cherokee is a champ on the highway, except for the death wobble around 50mph.
BTW, its for sale. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:23 pm 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
John is the authority on food and beverage, but he's a scrub when it comes to cars and cigars. My cherokee is a champ on the highway, except for the death wobble around 50mph.
Excuse me?! I'm a former rally race car driver who beat drivers like Roger Clark, Hannu Mikkola, Fulvio Bachvelli, Ari Vartanen and Sepp Haider at the 1977 Novisadski Rally, and my humidor is full of Cubans! :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 pm 
Da Kine

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
Excuse me?! I'm a former rally race car driver who beat drivers like Roger Clark, Hannu Mikkola, Fulvio Bachvelli, Ari Vartanen and Sepp Haider at the 1977 Novisadski Rally, and my humidor is full of Cubans! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I once slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 pm 
Malihini

I too, am a legend in my own mind. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the Kona Forum!!!

I think you got a pretty good deal on the Jeep. The 2 door Jeeps have a tendency to be a bit bouncy at highway speeds. But the 4 doors are much smoother. I won't get into the debate over whether you should drive the Jeep offroad. All I can say is you should thoroughly read your rental contract and abide by the contract if you sign it. It is their rules that will dictate whether you can take it offroad or not.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm 
Malihini

Jeeps are great in Hawaii. I love the way the new Wranglers drive on the road. Not like the old CJ's at all. Yes there are cheaper cars you can rent, but a Jeep is great for getting to some of the beaches a regular car has problems making it to. Even some of the "paved" roads pretty much suck. As far as the price goes, it sounds fair, but keep checking back as you get closer to the time you are coming over and you might find the price drops substantially. I've gotten Wranglers (2dr) for as low as 125/ week before, last minute type situation.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
I too, am a legend in my own mind. :)
Cool! We have two "legends" on this Forum now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:51 pm 
Malihini

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
John is the authority on food and beverage, but he's a scrub when it comes to cars and cigars. My cherokee is a champ on the highway, except for the death wobble around 50mph. BTW, its for sale. :)
Maybe you know how to drive, but that doesn't mean you know anything about cars! :) Did you really beat those guys? I don't know anything about car racing, so I Googled them, that's like a list of "Who Is Who" in car racing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 am 
Malihini

Cars are somewhat of a personal taste item. Some people like Porsches and others like Chevys. Does that make one better than the other? Only in the eyes of the beholder. Personally I find most Porsche owners I've dealt with a little on the arrogant side. I've been restoring and rebuilding cars for 40 years, 35 professionally as an owner of a collision repair shop. Everyone has a preference in cars. Collectors are where it gets a little weird. There are actually people that collect stuff like Renault Dauphines (Columbo's car) and other strange stuff like that. I believe John owns a Fiero, which is based on the Chevy Citation chassis. Does that make it bad? Not to John. Personally I like Jeeps. I have a couple of them. Does that make them the best car in the world? To me they are great, but to someone that likes Fieros, not so much. So when I rent a car, a Jeep is a good choice for me because I like Jeeps. To other people, perhaps a Camaro Convertible would be a good choice. Some may chose a Toyota Yaris (good gas mileage) as their car of choice. Others may choose a Mini Van. Just because someone doesn't see the value in particular car doesn't mean it is a waste of money to rent it. It is all personal preference.

Todd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 am 
Malihini

The only problem I'd have with a Jeep is that the rentals are new and clean and shiny and they scream "tourist". There's no trunk for locking away your valuables out of sight. So if you go to the beach, even one that has plenty of other cars around, I would worry about being broken into. For a brief vacation you probably won't be doing any real off-roading, so why spend the extra money for a Jeep anyway?

I've heard that rental cars are in short supply these days. If you decide to change your reservation, better do it sooner than later.

I haven't been to a commercial luau in many years, but I heard that the one at the King Kamehameha hotel is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 am 
Kona Kastoff

Paniolo Club wrote:
John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
John is the authority on food and beverage, but he's a scrub when it comes to cars and cigars. My cherokee is a champ on the highway, except for the death wobble around 50mph. BTW, its for sale. :)
Maybe you know how to drive, but that doesn't mean you know anything about cars! :) Did you really beat those guys? I don't know anything about car racing, so I Googled them, that's like a list of "Who Is Who" in car racing!
Those guys were all are very well known in the racing world back then, but "who Is Who" is kind of an overstatement. (Roger Clark passed away since.) Oh, and I didn't exactly beat them. It was the most grueling race I have ever been in, only 11 cars finished, and those guys along with many more didn't finish because of accidents, mechanical problems, etc. I finished 11th, more than an hour behind the winner, but I finished! :) :) :)

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:08 am 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
I haven't been to a commercial luau in many years, but I heard that the one at the King Kamehameha hotel is pretty good.
The Marriott Courtyard and the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel are the same, so Babette and I were recommending the same place.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 pm 
Malihini

Babette wrote:
The only problem I'd have with a Jeep is that the rentals are new and clean and shiny and they scream "tourist". There's no trunk for locking away your valuables out of sight. So if you go to the beach, even one that has plenty of other cars around, I would worry about being broken into. For a brief vacation you probably won't be doing any real off-roading, so why spend the extra money for a Jeep anyway?

I've heard that rental cars are in short supply these days. If you decide to change your reservation, better do it sooner than later.

I think pretty much all the rentals scream "tourist". Whats wrong with that? Everyone can spot them. If you fancy a convertible mustang, or a jeep, or a camaro, go for it. You're on vacation, have a good time, rent what you like. If some dirtbag wants to bust into your car, he will do it regardless of the make and model.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next