It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Another Aloha from WA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:46 pm 
Kama

I was in Kona "accidentally" a couple of weeks ago. I'm a teacher and we have mid-winter break over Presidents' Day weekend. I decided to do the Great Aloha Run on Oahu with a friend and waited until almost the last minute to make my reservations. No direct flights so I got to visit the airport for a few hours.

We were a military family and transferred to Hickam in 1964. I graduated high school the next year and went back to the mainland for college. In 1975 I was back on Oahu. My second son was born at the old Kaiser hospital where The Prince (?) hotel now stands in Waikiki.

I used to work full-time as a CPA and about 14 years ago (how time flies!) a client turned over a parcel at HOVE in lieu of payment on his last bill. I did not see the property until two years ago. My lot is up high in the sky but at least electricity is on my street.

That stopover in Kona starting me thinking about making a serious change in my life. I am not happy where I am. I was so upset about having to leave Hawaii in 1986 that I could not have any reminders around for many years. About the same time I made the trip to HOVE, I started putting pictures of Hawaii up in my house here in Washington. But pictures are not enough.

I have always felt "at home" in Hawaii, no matter what island. I think it's time I started thinking about going home.

My current plans include finishing one more year at my current job. It's about money.

I'm older and I don't have much put aside. I raised two boys pretty much on my own and I mean without financial support and very little help of any kind. It was rough. I would quit working tomorrow if I could. I'm tired. But I am also realistic. I will have to continue to work for the foreseeable future. I am worried about being able to find a job after I move.

I have friends on Oahu but only my "former" in-laws on the Big Island and we have not stayed in touch. They live in Hilo.

My friends on Oahu are all very enthusiastic about my moving back. Only a couple know that I am thinking about moving to the Big Island.

My lot at HOVE is very isolated and I cannot see living there by myself. I have seen houses lower down for sale for very reasonable prices. I think my best bet is to buy one of those house. I am reluctant to sell my house here. It can be rented at a small profit or at least I could break even and keep it for future appreciation.

My idea is to look into taking a leave of absence from my job to make sure I can get everything together. I understand that jobs are hard to get until a person "moves" and seems to be ready to stay. I thought it would be best to start getting to know more about the area. I have located some places where I could stay for a week or so while I scout around. And I would not mind contacting my ex-husband's family in Hilo for help.

I have been reading posts on this forum and have found them very helpful and truthful. Big Island living is not for everyone. Until I have spent some time there I cannot be sure it will be for me. Thank you for helping me along my journey home. It might be that Oahu will be better for me but there is something about the Big Island that attracts me. And that stopover in Kona make a big impression on me. I talked to some folks and that is what started this process for me.

BTW .... What a day! I was in front of the TV for a long time watching the news about the tsunami.

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Becky, HOVE is not for everyone, or I should say it's only for a few. Don't buy anything there without living there for at least six months. There are no jobs and very few services available in the area. If I were single and had to live there I probably would go bananas. Since your lot is at a high elevation you should know it's cold up there. BTW, I hope that outstanding bill wasn't much, lots are pretty cheap in HOVE. There was a time when we used to joke if you stop at the gas station to fill up than you et a free lot!

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm 
Kama

John, I've been up there and got the impression that I was halfway to the moon! It was drizzling when I first got up there but after a while the skies cleared and I think I saw the ocean off in the far distance. It was a shock to see how rough the terrain was. I honestly couldn't find a flat spot big enough to put two feet down next to each other. But I have kept the property for the "shock" value of telling people here on the mainland that I own an acre in Hawaii free and clear. ---- And because I like owning a piece of paradise. The road maintenance fee and property tax are low and I just never wanted to sell.

And yes, the bill was only around $2500.00 so I guess it was an okay trade. The man would never have paid me otherwise.

I plan to be very cautious about moving. It took a year and a half of planning and several trips over here before I moved to WA and I think it will take as much or more before I move back.

I had a laugh about the lots being "free gifts" ..... I know the Big Island isn't for everyone. It may not be for me. Time will tell.

Thanks for your comments,

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:02 am 
Da Kine

Restless,
My wife and I are just down the road from you in Lynnwood. We've spent the last few years researching our own move to our Discovery Harbour lot, just down the road from HOVE, and can share experiences and advice. Private Messages have been disabled on this site (how come, Dave?), so write me at naalehu1@verizon.net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Aloha Becky,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I completely understand your feelings about the BI and the HOVE area. As John said it is not for everyone. My wife and I decided it is for us and we bought a house there. We will move there when it is time to retire. By the way, it is for rent if you know anyone who wants to live there. http://www.konaforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1588 I know, shameless plug....

Anyway feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about living out there as it can be rewarding and difficult. Also, if you have any questions about real estate or building out there just ask. konadave@konaforum.com

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Admin

briansbigler wrote:
Private Messages have been disabled on this site (how come, Dave?)

Brian,

The private message service was disabled because it was not working properly. And the software I am using is old and not supported any more. I could never find an answer as to why it worked sometimes and sometimes not. So instead of getting a lot of complaints I just disabled it. I did not disable the e-mail feature on the board. Unfortunately, Becky has decided to not allow us to e-mail her directly (which is an option in your personal profile).

Once I get settled in to my new place I have promised myself to go through and completely redo the forum including updating to new and more modern software.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: OOPS!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:50 am 
Kama

Unfortunately, Becky has decided to not allow us to e-mail her directly (which is an option in your personal profile).

-------

I think I changed the correct setting so that direct email is now possible.

And now I also have an avatar!

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm 
Malihini

Welcome fellow WA resident.

I also look forward to the day I can live in Hawaii without working or concerns about working. (9 years to go)

Do the reseach and you won't be sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:02 pm 
Malihini

keep the faith, guys. We are moving in three months after planning for seven years. Having these forums has been a great help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats Babette!!!!!!!!! :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:13 pm 
Kama

Babette,

How exciting for you!

Becky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:00 am 
Malihini

Thanks. The good part is that we already have a house to move into (that is fully furnished) so that cuts down on the amount of "stuff" that we need to ship. Of course, that isn't keeping us from shipping a 20' container but luckily we have friends here who are going to share the cost.

Also, we will be retired, so we don't have to worry about jobs :D (sorry, Dave).

Right now we are in the "fix up the house for selling" phase. House goes on the market on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed for us, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am 
Kona Kastoff

Time4Family wrote:
I also look forward to the day I can live in Hawaii without working or concerns about working. (9 years to go)

You mean I have to watch your condo for nine more years?! :D :D :D

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 am 
Malihini

Sorry about that John. Good thing it isn't very hard to do.

I am 50 1/2 so I figure at 59 1/2 I will be ready to retire. that will give me 40 years in this job and I think that should be enough.

Think about all the good times we will have between now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Time4Family wrote:
Sorry about that John. Good thing it isn't very hard to do.

Yeah, but I'm doing it for FREE! :D :D :D

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next