It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's the regulation to operate Bed and Breakfast business?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am 
Kama

We are looking for our next home on Big Island and planning to go again during April 2014 to decide on the location. How do we know a property can be used for business like bed and breakfast as well as private resident? What's the regulation or restriction to operate B&B or a home business on Big Island? We have contacted some real estate agents and got ignored. Please help! Thank you,

Best Regards,
Joe

Post subject: Re: What's the regulation to operate Bed and Breakfast busin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:55 pm 
Malihini

I'm sure that John Rabi will jump in here, but I'll start.

First, you need to know if the zoning on the property will allow a B&B. Secondly you need to check any HOA regulations. Thirdly, you will need to register with the County and get your Tax ID numbers. I know that John is very knowledgeable, but I would not trust most realtors to know County zoning laws. You could check the County website or just call the Planning Office.

Something different about B&Bs here is that they don't serve a hot cooked breakfast like B&Bs on the mainland. I think it has something to do with commercial kitchen requirements(?). Most B&Bs that I've stayed in will give you a fruit and pastry basket that you eat in your room, but some don't even do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm 
Kama

Thank you so much!
I am also looking forward to hear from John.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette, you probably know more about this issue than most real estate agents! :lol: :lol: :lol: In addition to what Babette already said, you might be able to operate a B&B on a property that is not zoned for commercial activities, however getting a variance is not easy, and if your neighbors are against it than you will never get it approved. With all that said, 95% of the B&Bs are illegal on this island.
PS. I'm not surprised you are getting ignored by the real estate agents, most probably have no clue about B&B requirements, and most only care about a quick commission. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm 
Kama

Thank you for all of the valuable information. It seems like B&B is a bit complicated. If 95% of the B&B is illegal does that mean they operate without proper license and permit? Those operate without proper license won't be in trouble with the city? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 pm 
Malihini

We looked at at the B&B option when we moved here, but it was a nightmare. If you want it to be legal it has to be on a commercially zoned property, you have to have a certain number of parking stalls per unit, you have to have at least one handicapped access and stall, even if you want to get a variance. You can't have a commercial kitchen unless the property is zoned commercial, no exceptions, and so on. We decided to buy a condo instead that we rent out as a vacation rental when we are not here. It's much easier and much less headache. We do everything legally, we have our GET and TAT licenses, and we have a licensed property management company managing our condo,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Joe wrote:
Thank you for all of the valuable information. It seems like B&B is a bit complicated. If 95% of the B&B is illegal does that mean they operate without proper license and permit? Those operate without proper license won't be in trouble with the city? :roll:
That is correct. The country does not have the manpower to enforce the rules, and they really go after just the people who operate B&Bs in subdivisions where the neighbors or the HOA file a complaint with the county. You can find all the legal and licensed B&Bs at http://www.stayhawaii.com (Big Island, Hawaii County.) While membership in any association usually doesn't mean much, these guys actually are proud to be members because they are the only licensed B&Bs on the island, so it's like an exclusive club.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 pm 
Kama

Thanks again!! You guys are amazing. I will a lot of homework to do before my visit in April.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:04 pm 
Kama

As a fully licensed bed and breakfast owner I can honestly say it is worth the expense and effort to be licensed.

Why, when it comes time to sell, mainlanders are going to think hard about investing all their money in a big home only to have the business shut down with just one complaint by a neighbor. Then what? They have a big home and all income from home is cut.

When it comes time for me to sell, and yes I would consider selling now,

I have a decade of list of past customers.

Excellent tripadvisor reputation

A business and not a home.

Two septic systems that permit the maximum of 5 rental rooms and a separate owners quarters.

The pool, the hot tub, the easy walk to beach and ocean views.

Landscaping takes years to grow.

Over a decade I have had many operations try and start in the area. Most failed since they lacked what tourists were looking for.

Who wants to stay in an average home?

I specifically bought and built my home to be the best offering and never lowered prices despite new cheaper options.

These are things that you in turn will have to offer when ready to sell.

Absolute Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 am 
Kona Kastoff

pbmaise wrote:
Excellent tripadvisor reputation.
We all know what that's worth. That's the web site Cat Leen Hancockoo and She Brimm recommend Hawaii businesses on in exchange for getting benefits. :( :( :(

Last edited by John S. Rabi on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 pm 
Malihini

I don't know who Kathleen and Shea are, but I do a LOT of posting on TripAdvisor for almost every place I've ever stayed in Hawaii, the mainland, and now New Zealand :D. Plus I post a lot of restaurant reviews. I try to post both negative and positive comments. And I've never received any benefits from anyplace I've posted about (darn it!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:56 am 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
I don't know who Kathleen and Shea are, but I do a LOT of posting on TripAdvisor for almost every place I've ever stayed in Hawaii, the mainland, and now New Zealand :D. Plus I post a lot of restaurant reviews. I try to post both negative and positive comments. And I've never received any benefits from anyplace I've posted about (darn it!)
Just remember, there are honest people and there are scumbag people. :( :( :(

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 pm 
Malihini

I only post the good and the Bad. If the place is just average I skip it. They can all be influenced by people with Bias. So I figure if I am honest then the reader can decide what post to believe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 pm 
Malihini

Time4Family wrote:
I only post the good and the Bad. If the place is just average I skip it. They can all be influenced by people with Bias. So I figure if I am honest then the reader can decide what post to believe.
Why post the good? Isn't that supposed to be the standard? I only post the bad. Like about dishonest people, or my asshole neighbor. :twisted:

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]