It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Multi-faceted homes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:05 am 
Kama

I know this question came up a while ago but didn't seem to get any real info. Can anyone provide some feedback or info on Multi-Facetted Homes? Quality, ease of building, Contractors willing to build them, realistic time frame and costs. Their website is great but their "turn-key" price, seems optimistic. My land is already cleared and leveled at 750' above Kona.

Post subject: Re: Multi-faceted homes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 am 
Kona Kastoff

Acmeactor wrote:
I know this question came up a while ago but didn't seem to get any real info. Can anyone provide some feedback or info on Multi-Facetted Homes? Quality, ease of building, Contractors willing to build them, realistic time frame and costs. Their website is great but their "turn-key" price, seems optimistic. My land is already cleared and leveled at 750' above Kona.
the answer is pretty much a "no" to all of your questions. While the quality is good, it's not easy to build, most contractors wouldn't touch it with a seven feet pole, and your cost will be much more than you think it will be. There are lots of things not included in their package price that you will have to pay for extra. In addition, they hard to get a loan on, and it could be a deterrent when you try to sell it. While those kind of homes are cute, they appeal to a limited number of buyers. BTW, just for fun, check out http://topsider.com for similar but much more durable homes.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:43 am 
Kama

Thanks for the info John. I had looked at Topsider but their BBB rating and large number of complaints online really swayed me away. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. I'll keep looking for a non cookie cutter kit house. Hoping to find something that is less than an 8 month build ( after permits), unique in design and appearance with an island style open floor plan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Acmeactor wrote:
Thanks for the info John. I had looked at Topsider but their BBB rating and large number of complaints online really swayed me away. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. I'll keep looking for a non cookie cutter kit house. Hoping to find something that is less than an 8 month build ( after permits), unique in design and appearance with an island style open floor plan.
I should have been more clear about Topsider. I wouldn't buy a home from them, the shipping would kill the deal, but I would buy a plan from them, or have an architect draw up something similar.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:11 am 
Site Admin

Hire a local architect and/or engineer and have them design something for you. Also, those cookie cutter designs are sometimes designed by companies ready to customize any of them for you. John is right about the non traditional homes being hard to sell. But a custom designed tradition style home will sell easily of you ever want to sell it.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 am 
Kama

I appreciate the feedback. The allure of the kits was really timing. My hope had been because the kits were pre-assembled pieces it would be a shorter build process. I've had some real "challanges" getting smaller jobs done on Oahu. Six month time frames turn into two years(+), large amount of the materials stolen-twice (with someone staying on property) and with me splitting my time because of work between the East Coast and Honolulu. The idea of starting from scratch scares the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Acmeactor wrote:
I appreciate the feedback. The allure of the kits was really timing. My hope had been because the kits were pre-assembled pieces it would be a shorter build process. I've had some real "challanges" getting smaller jobs done on Oahu. Six month time frames turn into two years(+), large amount of the materials stolen-twice (with someone staying on property) and with me splitting my time because of work between the East Coast and Honolulu. The idea of starting from scratch scares the hell out of me.

I lived in one of those kit homes for a year. While the workmanship of the contractor was not that great, the quality of the materials was even worse. Unfortunately, this is Hawaii and sometimes things can go horribly wrong here. You will probably regret trying to get a project done on the quick. But that is JMHO. Let us know what you decide to do.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 am 
Kama

Thanks Dave, I expect because I can't be onsite or very nearby for a year plus that it takes to build. Plus a lack of knowledge of local contractors I can really count on, I will, once again, shelve this idea. I'm two years from retirement and looking to finally make the Big Island home and not be on that crowded rock (Oahu).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Acmeactor wrote:
Thanks Dave, I expect because I can't be onsite or very nearby for a year plus that it takes to build. Plus a lack of knowledge of local contractors I can really count on, I will, once again, shelve this idea. I'm two years from retirement and looking to finally make the Big Island home and not be on that crowded rock (Oahu).

I am currently living in makakilo. Where on Oahu are you?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Kama

Kahala, but I split my time between there and Boston. The rest of my family lives the Kahala area. Oahu is great for some people but after close to 30 years running a company this country boy needs to return to the country.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Don't blame you one bit. I couldn't deal with all the regulations in running a business here in Hawaii. I admire the fact you did it for 30 years. :) :) :)

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Kama

Actually the hard part has been the company is based in Massachusetts and I travel way to much. The house in Honolulu has become a way for me to retain some sanity and spend time with family. More and more though I find myself on the Big Island. The plan has always been to retire in HI but my wife ( 25 yrs running her co.) and I realized it would have to be the Big Island. To much info?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the background info. Not too much. Just enough. I wish you luck in getting your home built. I am getting tired of working and I look forward to the day I can retire and spend each day doing what I want for myself. My retirement home is on the BI in Ocean View which is Very rural. So I look forward to the peace and quiet and slower pace.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 am 
Kona Kastoff

Kona Dave wrote:
I lived in one of those kit homes for a year. While the workmanship of the contractor was not that great, the quality of the materials was even worse. Unfortunately, this is Hawaii and sometimes things can go horribly wrong here.
Package homes have come a long way during the past 10 or so years. I have built several of them here on the Big Island and you wouldn't tell they are package homes. (Example below.)
Attachment:
YPomaikai.jpg
YPomaikai.jpg [ 43.23 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm 
Kama

John would it be ok to talk off forum about this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next