It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: `Ihilani Coffee & Tropicals
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Kama

Just an introduction...we are `Ihilani Coffee & Tropicals offering only Big Island 100% estate coffees from Hamakua, Puna, Ka`u, and Kona. We have personal relationships with our growers, and offer hand-crafted coffees from our website www.ihilanicoffee.com. When we say, "With us...it's personal" that means that quality is assured by a very hands-on business model. From cupping potential coffee offerings, roasting, shipping, to label design and all the assorted details, we do it all. We have big plans for our 5.66 acres in Puna including coffee, cacao, vanilla, avocados, aquaponics, chickens, etc. It would be so appreciated if you could hop on over to our page at www.facebook.com/Ihilani.Coffee.Company and "like" the page to help us spread the word. Mahalo!

Post subject: Re: `Ihilani Coffee & Tropicals
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to Kona Forum! I look forward to trying some of your coffees....

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:39 pm 
Kama

We are in Oregon right now but do the business from here. Let me know what you'd like and I can ship right out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:40 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
Welcome to Kona Forum! I look forward to trying some of your coffees....
$40.00/lbs?! That's pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Ihilani Coffee wrote:
We are in Oregon right now but do the business from here. Let me know what you'd like and I can ship right out!
May I ask what is the tax map key (TMK) number of your coffee farm property in Puna? I just want to check out the location.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Ihilani Coffee wrote:
May I ask what is the tax map key (TMK) number of your coffee farm property in Puna? I just want to check out the location.

I also have a few of questions. How often do you pick your cherry? And do you do it yourself or hire out? What do you do with your excess beans? Do you roast them yourselves? Do you package them yourselves? Do you have any more pics of your farm?

Thanks!!!!

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 pm 
Da Kine

On your website it says that you have ended child starvation in Malawi?

Could you please explain further?

http://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/n ... tes-61069/

Thanks, Joyce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm 
Malihini

Joyce wrote:
On your website it says that you have ended child starvation in Malawi? Could you please explain further? http://www.ifrc.org/en/news-and-media/n ... 1069Thanks, Joyce
No wonder Malawi became one of the most prosperous country in the world! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 am 
Kama'aina

Wow! Tough crowd!

I checked out your website and the one thing I noticed is that you don't have an "About Us" page. Personally, I like to know who I'm dealing with. Where are you at? Who are you? What's your story? You kind of started that with your Malawi thing - but why should I care about starving kids in Malawi? Also, "how much" do you contribute? Double nothing is still nothing? I think you see my point.

Also, your prices are higher than full retail. Do they include shipping?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

We have not heard from them? I wonder what happened to them?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:08 pm 
Da Kine

Moved to Malawi..............

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 pm 
Kama

Wow...tough crowd is right! I run 7 different businesses including a farm here and don't sit on the internet on forums all the time. Our internet access here is limited as well. I will be happy to address the Malawi "thing" this weekend as it is after midnight now...after work. We have just purchased the land in Puna and at this time are marketing single estate coffees from other growers on the Big Island. We do some brokering of green bean to small roasters on the mainland and the rest of our business is roasted coffee. I roast myself in a 6# San Franciscan roaster. All the artwork, label printing, packaging, marketing and shipping is done by my partner and me. In our "spare" time we are doing specialty coffee events on the mainland, working toward a sustainable mainland market for these single estate coffees.

New Daddy: did you see the link to our blog? That tells a lot more about who we are and our process. For every pound of coffee sold, we contribute at least one child meal of nutritious food. Double Not Caring is still never going to make a positive difference in someone's life.

John S. Rabi: The land is in Hawai`ian Acres.

Pricing: This is not crap co-op coffee. Not CBB-infested Kona. I am fully aware that some large cherry buyers on the Kona side are actively seeking to purchase borer infested bean. Gosh...if they are buying it, you can be damn sure they are going to sell it. Our Kona grower has 2% CBB infestation, not 50%. We are in the process of developing kama`aina pricing. Our customers don't have any trouble paying for exceptional product.

Did I answer everything so far (with the Malawi questions postponed until the weekend, as it's going to take some time)?

BTW, Michael is a 20+ year kama`aina multiple business owner from Kaua`i. I have `ohana in Puna. We are looking forward to coming home.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:18 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Ihilani Coffee wrote:
Wow...tough crowd is right!
Don't feel offended, we are just protective of our coffee! There are lots of shady businesses out there selling "Kona Coffee" and "Hawaiian Coffee" variations. You probably would do a lots of good for yourself by revising your web site to include more information, like the various grades of your coffee, etc. Regardless, I have lived here for 22+ years and drink only local coffee, but I doubt you will be able to break into the local market with those prices. Hawaiian Acres is a good area to grow coffee at, good luck!

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:09 pm 
Malihini

Ihilani Coffee wrote:
1...at this time are marketing single estate coffees from other growers on the Big Island. 2. This is not crap co-op coffee.
Maybe not crap, but it sure sounds like a co-op. :lol: My neighbor here in Waikoloa runs a similar business out of his garage. He buys coffee from :?: and sells it under his own label. I stick to the known single estate coffees, though there is no guarantee they don't do hanky-panky business either. After all, just look at the road side signs, some well known names have "Buying Cherry!" signs out there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 pm 
Kama

Paniolo Club: Perhaps we have a difference in definition. To me, a co-op is a cooperative of entities gathered together. In this case, `Ihilani Coffee gathers the best coffees we can find from single estate growers in a free market from each of the coffee regions on the Big Island. We do not mix coffees from farms in the same growing region. When we label "premium estate" that means a single coffee farm from that region. What you believe is up to you, and I sleep quite well knowing my truth.

Our Kona Fusion coffees are a mixture of single estate premium Kona with other premium coffees from around the globe. We resisted this concept for two years, but our customers repeatedly asked us to provide fusion coffees that were so much more than 10%...and they wanted our single estate offerings blended with only one other global coffee. You are, of course, free to purchase any product you enjoy and yes, many of those larger labels have both "estate" coffee and whatever their brand of lesser priced "co-op" coffee is from that cherry they gather by the side of the road.

Joyce: When we say we have effectively ended child starvation in Malawi, we are talking of the larger `ohana of humanity that feels an obligation to positively effect the lives of those less fortunate. Most food aid is in the form of grain that provides calories, but lacks important nutrients for proper health and development. That is why we see photos of children with grain-bloated bellies and stick-thin arms...those little bodies are literally burning muscle for protein because the "aid" grain is only carbs. The group we donate through, the Force For Good Foundation's Nourish the Children initiative, provides VitaMeal, a nutrient-dense (not just calorie-dense) food that has been carefully formulated to provide all essential daily nutrients to nourish a child. The VitaMeal is primarily distributed through schools, encouraging education as well as providing nutrition. In Malawi, the scope of the program is all-encompassing. The local packaging and distribution center employs 60+ local people using locally-grown maize and these plants cut distribution costs, create a demand for cash crops and are improving the livelihood of many local farmers and local economies.

Nourish the Children has helped fight world hunger by supporting projects in many countries including China, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Malawi, Philippines, Fiji and Thailand. More than 300 million meals have been donated through the Nourish the Children initiative
since its inception in 2002. An average of 2.1 million meals is donated each month on an ongoing basis around the globe. Malawi has 2 million orphans in a population of 12 million. In many cases orphans are raising orphans and each village has a large percentage of these children. In 2009, Nourish the Children was acknowledged by Malawi Vice President Joyce Banda (now Malawi's President), saying that in that year not one child died in her country of starvation. For other projects in Malawi, visit: http://www.forceforgood.org/projects/af ... lawi.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. To learn about other efforts of FFG around the world, go here: http://www.forceforgood.org/projects/la ... cts.shtmld" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this clears up some things for you. Not everyone cares about other people's children, as so clearly stated in a previous post here. We believe that life on Earth is our `ohana and act accordingly as we are able...from malama `aina and protecting clean water, to helping feed and educate those who struggle to survive.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next