It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: storing your beans
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 am 
Da Kine

Just wondering what is the best way to store my opened bag of coffee beans from Sharky's. I've heard some people say that they keep it in the fridge - what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: storing your beans
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Kekepania wrote:
Just wondering what is the best way to store my opened bag of coffee beans from Sharky's. I've heard some people say that they keep it in the fridge - what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

So? We are all waiting to hear how you like or dislike the coffee? The tension is getting to me!!! :D :D :D

To answer your question I think it depends on how much you drink a day. I make 4 cups a day and I don't store it any special way. But when I was only drinking coffee on the weekends I kept it in the freezer (after squeezing out all the air). As long as you contine to slowly use it and squeeze out the air it will last longer.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:03 am 
Da Kine

Haven't tried it yet. I'm going to surprise Tom with it Sunday morning. Since it's his gift, I will let him decide how often we drink it (that's why I'm checking to see how we should store it, since I don't know how often he will want to use it).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:12 pm 
Kama

I would like to ask how your drink your coffee. I mean do you drink it twice a day, daily or just over the weekends? I am a heavy drinker, of coffee in this case, so I do not have to store it in some special way. Though I transfer it into a glass container so that it would be easier to make one.

If you just drink occasionally, I suggest that you get something with a seal to keep it fresh and keep the moist out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I usually make 4 cups in the morning and that's all I drink. Once in a while if I'm falling asleep at work I'll run over to the local coffee place and order a small or medium iced coffee. I try not to drink coffee too late in the afternoon or early evening. I used to have a sleeping disorder and I don't sleep well anymore and caffeine too late brings the sleep disorder back.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 am 
Kama'aina

I store all my roasted/ground coffee in the freezer. Roasted coffee will keep a long time and ground coffee starts diminishing after a month or two. If you've got green beans, any dry storage container in a dark place will do for pretty much any length of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:57 am 
Da Kine

We drink the "special kona coffee" only once in a while - usually saving it for the mornings when we have nowhere to be and can relax and enjoy it. So I think I may need to put my beans in a foodsaver bag and suck the air out - that should keep them as fresh as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Kekepania wrote:
We drink the "special kona coffee" only once in a while - usually saving it for the mornings when we have nowhere to be and can relax and enjoy it. So I think I may need to put my beans in a foodsaver bag and suck the air out - that should keep them as fresh as possible.

Make sure the bag is a freezer bag and keep them in the freezer. They will definately last much longer that way.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:55 pm 
Menehune

I have kept coffee beans in the freezer for years (both Kona as well as from many other places in the world :) ). I highly recommend it to keep the beans fresh for a long time. Keep opened packages tightly sealed in a plastic bag with as little air as possible.

Note: I had joined a coffee club and accumulated about 2 years worth of beans at one time (did not even realise how many I had until I cleaned the freezer), but the coffee was still great from those last packages. Of course, vacuum packing probably helped!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:27 pm 
Menehune

Storing coffee in the freezer is fine if you haven't opened the bag. If you've opened the bag, you're better off storing it in an airtight container that also doesn't allow light in. Light will degrade it, and moisture will too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:05 pm 
Menehune

That is my experience. Freeze it unopened. Once it is unsealed, freezer moisture gets to it. If you don't plan to use it up fast, I don't know. Buy small quantities?

Drink it and enjoy! :bounce:

Dave, I hear you. No caffeine after noon for me!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:41 pm 
Keiki

First I have to apologise. You see, for me, coffee is much more than a stimulating hot beverage. It's like a religion or an illness - I am obsessed with it. That said, I have a moderately long winded and somewhat pedantic answer for you:

First, the prelude. The law of 15. Green coffee is good for 15 months, best stored in a dry dark cool place. Roasted coffee is best for around 15 days, perhaps a little bit more with vacuum sealing. Ground coffee is fresh for about 15 minutes.

Now the solution to your question: once you open that sealed bag of roasted beans, you should take out as much as you will use in a week or so and then vacuum seal the rest in similar sized batches and store it in the freezer. When you are ready to take them back out of the freezer, allow them to come up to room temperature before opening. I keep my unsealed coffee in sealable ceramic containers with hinged lids. This system keeps coffee as fresh as is possible without keeping a tank of nitrogen handy. The enemies of your coffee are: heat, oxygen, moisture and light in approximately that order. As an aside, most coffees are better after between 2 and 14 days post roast than they are the day of roasting. The number of days depends on the origin of the bean as well as the brewing method (drip/french press are ok with earlier use, espresso really should have a rest before use or it gets overly foamy crema). I understand that french press is probably the best method for Big Island coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 am 
Kona Kastoff

Mike, the person posting as "Pua Kenikeni" is no longer with us, so don't waste your time answering any of her postings. (In case you missed it, she was a spy, but we busted her.) :evil: :evil: :evil:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]