It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Surprise Beer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:07 pm 
Da Kine

I was shopping in Whole Foods today (Arizona) and was very excited to see my favorite KBC beer, Lavaman Red in bottles. I have no idea when they started bottling this, but I could not be happier. I don't usually shop for beer since I'm more of a wine gal, but I was looking for a particular beer for my sister-in-law. I bought a six pack, brought it home, threw it in the fridge, and put some pint glasses in the freezer. After a few hours I sampled it. It tastes like it does at the brewery (from what I can remember over a year ago), but had a slight bitter aftertaste. Either way, I'm glad I don't have to wait until June to have another one. :drunken:

Post subject: Re: Surprise Beer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Admin

I found the KBC beer that I buy bottled does not taste as good as what I get at the brewery. To the point I stopped buying it in bottles. I only buy it when I am at the brewery or when I fill my growler.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to taste exactly the same but the couple of beers that I have bought in bottles has been disappointing to me to say the least. I am not a big fan of the Lavaman Red so I have not bought it in bottles. I can't speak to that particular beer. I know that all of the bottled beer here in Hawaii from KBC is brewed on the mainland, bottled and shipped here.

https://www.google.com/#q=where+is+kona ... +beer+made

So that Lavaman Red you are getting may not be quite the same as what you get over here...

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Post subject: Re: Surprise Beer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:09 pm 
Malihini

Kona Brewing Company is owned by Anheuser-Busch Inbev through Craft Brew Alliance, so you shouldn't be surprised. A little research resulted in the following. This not-so-little brewery in Hawaii called Kona Brewing Co., was bought by CBA in 2010. CBA has watched demand for Kona soar from 133,400 barrels in 2010 to a whopping 352,100 in 2014. With Kona strongly attached to its native Hawaii and banking on the “Spirit of Aloha” as much as Corona relies on images of sandy beaches and deep blue ocean, it has an audience far beyond craft beer drinkers and a broad-based appeal that many of its CBA partners simply don’t.

Both ABI and CBA are fine with that, adopting a “Kona Plus” strategy that prioritizes Kona’s national growth over that of its other beers. CBA is spending $15 million on a new 30,000-square-foot, 100,000-barrel brewery in Kailua-Kona that should be up and running by next year. Meanwhile, ABI has been so enamored of Kona that it’s been using its international distribution system to launch Kona sales in both Brazil and Mexico within the past year.

I remember when Matt started Kona Brewery back in the mid '90s, he never imagined the kind of success the brewery had. He and his partner sold the brewery way too soon IMHO.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]