It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: living on your property while you build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 am 
Keiki

Aloha all,
What is the most common way to secure your home construction site in a remote area?Buy an RV and ship it over to stay in it?Is it possible to get a permit for say a shop building with small living quarters and a septic and electric built before you submit complete house plans?I'm just thinking outloud here because I havent seen any post as to how this has been done.I notice that the few RV's I've seen listed on Craigslist there were priced really high compared to here in California.Maybe buy one here and ship it with the cars and sell it after I'm done,though I'm puzzled as to why there would be any market for a used RV on an island.If so why so high on Craigslist?

Post subject: Re: living on your property while you build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:32 pm 
Kona Kastoff

It's illegal to put an RV on your lot to live in. While it's being done, especially in remote areas, all you need is ahole neighbor to turn you in and you are busted. Shop wit a small living quarters will count as a hose, so unless your property is zoned for more than one dwelling that's not a very good idea. Go to my web site, http://johnrabi.com and check out the various links, they will help you understand these things.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:48 pm 
Kama'aina

what about a tent? A guy could get one of those expedition sidewall tents pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm 
Keiki

Maholo John,What about these shipping containers I see with living quarters in them I see advertised on Craigslist that you can rent. They seem to be marketing them for exactly such a thing????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:16 pm 
Da Kine

If you live up mauka in HOVE anything goes, shipping container, lava tube, old school bus, whatever. Still illegal, but then so are many other things that go on there, pit bull fights, neighbors with dreads and shotguns (bad combo), way crazy Chuukese, and oh yeah, you have to live in mauka HOVE......................nuf said.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:30 am 
Kama

Hello

I was corresponding with someone that converts shipping containers to homes and are fully legal in Hawaii.He says and I quote
"for temporary trailers, no need for licensed elec and plumb. you can run it into wastewater system temporarily, but the unit must be off property to get final inspection certificate issued. after that you can bring back on if you want or sell it. , .you could put up catchment tank and pay one time to fill it up with water, thats only about $250 to fill up and you have water. so i would recommend unpermitted container, very simple with plumbing and elec, do not need permit for mobile termporary home while bldg legal home. then you sell when done- cost is about $25k. if you want it permitted with a roof to catch water, then you are looking at about $36k turn key. "

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:38 pm 
Malihini

Anyone thinking of doing this should check with the County first and make sure that their zoning will allow living in a "temporary" structure. And, how long is "temporary"? Additionally, they should check to make sure their subdivision doesn't have CC&Rs that would prohibit it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:51 pm 
Kama

Chapter 5 Building code;

EXCEPTIONS: A permit is not required for:

(1) Work located primarily in a public way, public utility towers, bridges, and poles, mechanical equipment not specifically regulated in this code, and hydraulic flood control structures.
(2) Temporary structures used during the construction of a permitted structure, temporary buildings, platforms, and fences used during construction or for props for films, television or live plays and performances.

Do I need a building permit for a shipping container?

Technically yes, unless you are on certain areas zoned Farm/Ranch or Agricultural. You need to check with your local bldg dept to verify what your exact zoning is for your land and if shipping containers are specifically allowed on your particular lot, and if your zoning is such that you can place shipping containers on your land without a permit, or if you in fact need a permit. There are many agricultural designations- some allow containers and some do not. It is best to get the answers straight from the county, face to face, and always write down the name of the person who gave you this information. Clerks at the county often make mistakes, so it is best to ask to see someone beyond the counter clerk, pull a number and wait until your number is called. You should know your TMK # before inquiring. All residential zoning requires a permit, even for a shipping container unless that shipping container is 120 sq ft or less (8’ X 15’ or smaller) and you have no other sheds on your property. This is the technical law. It is your choice entirely to follow the law or not. It just takes one envious, devious or vindictive neighbor to call the bldg dept and file a formal complaint against you and you are screwed. Once a complaint has been filed, the bldg dept must and certainly will investigate it. You have 2 choices at this point- let them come onto your property to investigate or you do not allow them onto property. If you choose the later, you are then blacklisted until you choose to cooperate. Good luck ever getting a bldg permit on your property ever again until you clear up the complaint. We can get your permit for a shipping container so long as there are no CCR’s (rules) against them in your subdivision or area.

It would be a temporary residence. While building your home. He say's its already approved and bondable I don't see any CCR's in the Ranchos that say's no.But I will go to the county to make sure.

http://www.affordableportablehousing.com/index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:15 pm 
Keiki

just a little update,I permitted a 24x32 metal building as an auxillary building along with the house,we poured both floor slabs at the same time. I completed the metal building in 5 days in time to store everything from my shipping container when it arrived.We set up living quarters inside along with an outdoor shower and outdoor kitchen. I had the off grid solar system permitted so the control station was inside the shop and the panels were on the shop roof. Also had the water pump and filters for the catchment inside the shop. Now we have electric,washer,refrigerator ,hot shower and a kitchen so we can take all the time we need to finish the house,there ya go

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:08 pm 
Kama'aina

Sounds like a good setup!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Congrats on getting started. I have a friend who started with a shack barely big enough to sleep in. Pretty much lived outside. Got his house finished enough to move into. Tore down the shack and started finishing the house. They couldn't be happier.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:43 am 
Keiki

Dave,you work with Tom Edwards????

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Capn Vinny wrote:
Dave,you work with Tom Edwards????

Yes sir I do. He is my brother from another mother. You know Tom?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:28 am 
Kona Kastoff

Do you know you are not listed on the company web site? :?: :?: :?:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:39 am 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Do you know you are not listed on the company web site? :?: :?: :?:

Due to circumstances beyond our control I will be hanging my license with a company over here on Oahu. :( :( :(

I have not decided yet which company. I am still interviewing companies/brokers. Everything I was planning on doing is on hold until then.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]