It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Any prohibitive owner/builder laws in Hawaii?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 am 
Malihini

I have been looking to see if Hawaii has similar verbage in it's owner/builder permits that are prohibitive. I just found out here while getting estimate proposals for a home rewire job that you are pretty much screwed if you want to do the work yourself and plan on selling your home. I thought it might be a county or city ordinance, but it's actually a state law here :banghead:

Attachment:
File comment: 2nd page of the owner/builder permit notice Florida
2nd_page_owner_builder.pdf [237.51 KiB]
Downloaded 113 times

Post subject: Re: Any prohibitive owner/builder laws in Hawaii?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I do know that any work that costs over a certain amount (Like $200) has to be performed by a licensed contractor. Or something to that effect. I think John knows a little more about that than I do.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:07 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
I do know that any work that costs over a certain amount (Like $200) has to be performed by a licensed contractor. Or something to that effect. I think John knows a little more about that than I do.

Thanks Dave. $200...doesn't seem like a very high threshold. My next door nieghbor just retired from FLUOR/Haliburton and has been a licensed master electrician for 35 years and said he would help me out...the law here says you can sell a year and a day after completion, but not less than a year, so you're stuck paying a contractor if you want to sell. Stupid Law!

I have checked the code there and found that I can replace my roof there as long as it's not more than 25% of the homes value and I replace with same kind of materials...but I don't know about electrical there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Kona Kastoff

I think you are confused about that one year requirement. That is applicable to owner builders. Rewiring your house requires a Hawaii licensed electrician and any plumbing work would have to be done by a Hawaii licensed plumber. These are applicable to owner builders too, so even if you build your own home, both the electrical and plumbing work have to be done by a Hawaii licensed electrician and plumber. (And you still can't sell for a year!) :!: :!: :!:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm 
Malihini

John S. Rabi wrote:
I think you are confused about that one year requirement. That is applicable to owner builders. Rewiring your house requires a Hawaii licensed electrician and any plumbing work would have to be done by a Hawaii licensed plumber. These are applicable to owner builders too, so even if you build your own home, both the electrical and plumbing work have to be done by a Hawaii licensed electrician and plumber. (And you still can't sell for a year!) :!: :!: :!:

I'll have a licensed electrician do the job and not have to wait a year. My whole point was that an owner/builder has to wait a year to sell if he pulled the permit and did the job himself and the county or city inspector passed the final inspection. That's here in Florida. Is that what you are telling me is true in Hawaii?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:51 pm 
Kona Kastoff

big_island_bound wrote:
I'll have a licensed electrician do the job and not have to wait a year. My whole point was that an owner/builder has to wait a year to sell if he pulled the permit and did the job himself and the county or city inspector passed the final inspection. That's here in Florida. Is that what you are telling me is true in Hawaii?
All electrical work has to be done by a licensed electrician here. Period. It has nothing to do with the one year thing. As an owner builder you can not even pull electrical and plumbing permit here. The county inspector will not sign off on the work even if it's done correctly unless a licensed person did the job. If you need a licensed electrician here, call Mike Ristow at 808.329.2084 and tell him I gave you the number. He is a one-man operation working out of his home, so he can afford to charge much less than the big boys.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:26 pm 
Malihini

Thanks John! I will save that name for when I get there as I will be doing some updating even though I have heard the wait for a permit there is horrible. I was actually going to get my neighbor who is a master electrician just retired to help rewire from aluminum to copper so I could have an easier sale on my home here....just have to bite the bullet and fork over $7k just so I can sell next month.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 pm 
Da Kine

I don't understand why you would pull a permit for electrical work unless it involved HELCO. If you are upgrading or modifying branch circuitry, and the work is correct, it's all good! The romex doesn't talk!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am 
Malihini

haoleboy wrote:
I don't understand why you would pull a permit for electrical work unless it involved HELCO. If you are upgrading or modifying branch circuitry, and the work is correct, it's all good! The romex doesn't talk!

I was just curious as to permitting laws there compared to here in Florida where I am now. Have this fiasco going on here where insurers don't/wont insure on a mortgage if the home is built with aluminum wiring. If you pull a permit yourself to do the work, you have to wait a year to sell/lease. Stupid law which says it's ok if you burn your own house down, but not to someone else who purchase it. I understand why, I just think it's crazy to have to pay large amount of money to have someone wire the home and be able to sell verses having your own master electrician do it, either of which will be inspected by the same city inspector and passed. It's just the owner/builder permit states you can't build or substancially improve your home for sale or lease within one year of construction completion.

Now when I get to Hawaii, I would like to know what I can or cant do if I later intent to sell the property. The upgrades I have in store will have HELCO involved at one point as I intend to add a PV solar system and still be tied to the grid. I am handy at many things that if not done correctly can lead to death, but electricity isn't one of them....yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 am 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
Just remember, Hawaii has a disclosure law, and you would have to disclose it when selling the home. If you don't and the buyer somehow finds it out than I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! :idea: :idea: :idea:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
Just remember, Hawaii has a disclosure law, and you would have to disclose it when selling the home. If you don't and the buyer somehow finds it out than I wouldn't want to be in your shoes! :idea: :idea: :idea:

I'm T E L L I N G ! ! ! ! ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm 
Da Kine

John S. Rabi wrote:
haoleboy wrote:

I would have no problem disclosing that my house wiring has been updated. Why would I? And most homes are single wall, so 90% of your wiring is visible for anyone to inspect. Let the work speak for itself.

DAVE DOESN"T KNOW HALF THE STORY!!!!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 pm 
Kona Kastoff

haoleboy wrote:
I would have no problem disclosing that my house wiring has been updated. Why would I? And most homes are single wall, so 90% of your wiring is visible for anyone to inspect. Let the work speak for itself.
That wouldn't fly, you fill out the Sellers Disclosure Statement (four pages) and not the "work." You would have to disclose it was done without permit. HRS 508 is very strict.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:10 am 
Da Kine

I'll have my team of lawyers look into this.

John, we live in different worlds. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 am 
Malihini

The bank is exempt from this disclosure law....know any banks that are in the market? :P

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next