All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solar Electricity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:50 am 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
haoleboy wrote:
Then that would suck!
I want the option of a hot shower at night.

You are probably getting some benefit from using it. Just not to the fullest possible savings.

Don't you want to go to bed stinky? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not always. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 am 
Malihini

Skip, we are two people, 1700 square foot house. We are home all day, using a desktop computer and a laptop. Our stove and clothes dryer are on propane. From March 2011 to March 2012, the average KWH monthly was 523. No, the install is not done yet. It takes a l-o-n-g time (we're on Hawaiian time here).

I can't believe that HELCO can't just look in their files to get that information for you. What a bunch of idiots!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:18 am 
Malihini

Babette wrote:
Skip, we are two people, 1700 square foot house. We are home all day, using a desktop computer and a laptop. Our stove and clothes dryer are on propane. From March 2011 to March 2012, the average KWH monthly was 523. No, the install is not done yet. It takes a l-o-n-g time (we're on Hawaiian time here).

I can't believe that HELCO can't just look in their files to get that information for you. What a bunch of idiots!

Ya, the people over at HELCo are. We will be a family of 5, 1700 sqft, have solar water heater and electric everything else, so I am willing to bet my bill will be at least double what your's was/is. I am wondering if the panels are a standard size or they have different sizes. I guess a larger panel size would generate more power, just a guess...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Admin

big_island_bound wrote:
Babette wrote:

Ya, the people over at HELCo are. We will be a family of 5, 1700 sqft, have solar water heater and electric everything else, so I am willing to bet my bill will be at least double what your's was/is. I am wondering if the panels are a standard size or they have different sizes. I guess a larger panel size would generate more power, just a guess...

If I remember correctly when I was looking into solar I found that the panels from different manufacturers were all about the same size within an inch or two.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 am 
Keiki

To add to Dave's savings ideas

Another thing we do is wash our clothes in cold water. I have found clothes really do get just as clean as most of today's detergents are designed for cold water.

It won't matter when you wash your clothes - only when you dry them if you use an electric dryer. (I say this because our condo association does not allow hanging wash to be visible and the complex is not set up for gas :( so we have an electric dryer). Of course if you can omit the electric dryer it would even be better...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 am 
Malihini

Babette wrote:

How is the solar panel install going?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am 
Malihini

Arrrgh.

The solar people told us on May 31 that they had submitted for permits "three weeks ago". Still no permits seven weeks later. I think both the solar people and the building department are totally overwhelmed. I've heard that the building department changed their systems (in addition to adopting new codes), so everything is moving s-l-o-w-l-y. That's even slower than normal Hawaii time :cry: . BTW, I tried calling the building department to get an idea on when we should be getting our permit -- got an answering machine, left a message, no-one ever called back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:06 pm 
Malihini

Maybe I should go ahead and apply for all my permits now so that when I do get there, they might be ready! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:51 pm 
Malihini

The solar company told us that they applied for permits in early May. So far all they can find out is that the building department can't find the permit. The solar company has receipts proving the submittal date and their permit expediter (do they even have such a thing in HI) is trying to get them to issue the permit. That was what they told us last week.

Apparently between adopting a new code and getting a new computer system, the building department can't seem to get permits issued. If you call for status, they don't answer the phones and they don't return calls. And if you bug them too much trying to get answers, they get pissed off and then you go back to the bottom of the pile.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
The solar company told us that they applied for permits in early May. So far all they can find out is that the building department can't find the permit. The solar company has receipts proving the submittal date and their permit expediter (do they even have such a thing in HI) is trying to get them to issue the permit. That was what they told us last week. Apparently between adopting a new code and getting a new computer system, the building department can't seem to get permits issued. If you call for status, they don't answer the phones and they don't return calls. And if you bug them too much trying to get answers, they get pissed off and then you go back to the bottom of the pile.
Welcome to Hawaii! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 am 
Site Admin

This is why I don't want to work for the Building Department. Unfortunately, John is right. It is typical for Hawaii the Big Island. Over here on Oahu things are a little different.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm 
Malihini

No worries, Babette. The Mayor has it under control! :)

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/sec ... works.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Malihini

When is a duck not a duck? When it's a "Strategic alignment of the review stream, not a backlog". :cry: Sheesh! How about hiring a few more people to help alleviate the problem?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Babette wrote:
When is a duck not a duck? When it's a "Strategic alignment of the review stream, not a backlog". :cry: Sheesh! How about hiring a few more people to help alleviate the problem?

Where are they going to get the money from? They are so busy being corrupt and stealing from the government they are trying to figure out how to raise our taxes so they can take more and hire one person so they can say "Hey we hired more people". Sorry for the sarcasm. The problem is it is too close to reality..... :x :x :x

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
Hiring more people?! Don't we already have an over-stuffed county work force? How about making them work like they would have to work in a private enterprise job! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Page 3 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next