It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solar Electricity
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 am 
Malihini

I have always wondered if the energy used to recover the heat isn't more than you save by not heating.

I put one in our house. Hope it's saving us $$$.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
I have always wondered if the energy used to recover the heat isn't more than you save by not heating.

I put one in our house. Hope it's saving us $$$.

Let us know if it saves you any money and if so how much.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum
Koko Head Shooting Complex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm 
Malihini

I did it about a year ago after considerable nagging from the haolequeen. I think the clock is about $60.00 at Home Depot. I never noticed much of a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
I did it about a year ago after considerable nagging from the haolequeen. I think the clock is about $60.00 at Home Depot. I never noticed much of a difference.

How many hours a day do you have it set for it to be on?

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 am 
Malihini

Babette wrote:

BTW, big_island_bound (do you have a name?), we had something like three strands of Christmas lights. That seemed to jack our bill up by $100 from normal, since we didn't do anything else different. :cry:

Babette, everyone calls me Skip. I missed yours, you know the mind is the first thing to go :lol:

Still going to be doing more research as I have found a couple of threads to lead me to think that DIY solar can be beneficial if you use the same materials. Where they say it "costs" these companies $40K-$50K to install these systems I also see in posts on other forums where people have purchased the parts for the system at a much reduced cost around $10-$14K for residential and you own outright. SunRun I think offers a package of 0 down, but you purchase the power that your system generates from that company. Revolusun installs the system for an upfront price $12K-$16K depending on your needs and you lease for 20years or 0 down if you qualify(680 min crdit score) and you make payments to them on that, but if you go with the all upfront charge, all you have to pay in payments is your HELCO bill. HELCO uses net metering which means if you produce excess during the day that you don't use, you can draw off it during the night and any excess would "rollover" like cellphone minutes to the next month. Just don't get a system too big as your rollover period would start all over in 12 months and would lose this credit and have to start all over again. On other islands that use HECO, I think I read somewhere that they have/had a feed in tarrif program to where HECO actually paid you for the excess you produced based on the size of your system and how many Kwhs excess per month you actually produced. I am leaning more to the pay ahead in one lump sum plan, because I just hate payments plus all that interest. Plus, if it really does cost as little as a 10-14K investment to own a system worth $40-$50K and only have a $20 electric bill ,own the system, don't have to pay the $30,000 markup and install, it's just a no-brainer to me. It is also a lot less headache and a huge selling feature if I want to sell the house in 5 or so years....don't have to worry about the company wanting their eqipment back or trying to qualify the new owners for a system if all they can qualify for is the mortgage. I still have to do a bit more homework, but so far this seems like more of a probability that a possibility.

BTW, just got my new bill in here and the rates have fropped even more than I was told they were. Seems the energy commission here had approved an interim rate until they had their vote on a new permenant rate. The new rate here is 10.8 cents per Kwh which makes converting to solar there even more attractive considering a rate of 44 cents there!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

big_island_bound wrote:
Babette wrote:

BTW, big_island_bound (do you have a name?), we had something like three strands of Christmas lights. That seemed to jack our bill up by $100 from normal, since we didn't do anything else different. :cry:

Babette, everyone calls me Skip. I missed yours, you know the mind is the first thing to go :lol:

You missed Babette's name? Hmmmmm, let me think. What could Babette's name be? :D :D :D

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
Babette wrote:
Dave, what do you mean "take showers only at certain times of the day"?

Babette,

I wrote:
"There are a couple of things you can do to cut your bill. Get a timer for your water heater and take showers only at certain times of the day as well as wash dishes and you can save another $40-$50/month."

If you put your water heater on a timer then it only heats water during the period that you set the timer to turn on the water heater. It would then be advisable to take showers when the water heater is turned on and heating the water. When the timer turns off the water heater you can still take showers but the water may be too cold. But at least the water heater is not heating water when you are not using it. That is the idea behind putting a timer on your water heater.

As an example if you get up every morning at 6am and take a shower at that time then set your water heater timer to turn on the water heater at 4am and turn it off by say 10am. That way everyone in the house will have a chance to take a shower by 10am and you can run the dishwasher, clothes washer, etc. And the water heater will not be using electricity to heat water during the rest of the day when you don't need it.

Got it, Dave. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Malihini

Skip, you summed up well what we understand the way SunRun works. They analyzed our part year's usage and determined that we need 16 panels (we've lived here two years, so we have good information on what our usage is like). Installed cost is around $11,000.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 am 
Malihini

Babette wrote:
Skip, you summed up well what we understand the way SunRun works. They analyzed our part year's usage and determined that we need 16 panels (we've lived here two years, so we have good information on what our usage is like). Installed cost is around $11,000.

So have they finished your install yet? I have no way of knowing what the previous average usage for my home as HELCO said they couldn't disclose that. What was your average monthy Kwh usage if you don't mind me asking. HELCO gave me some number by taking all the Kwhs in my area and dividing that by how many customers that were in my area to come up with some majical # of 544 Kwhs a month. That takes everyone...one person housholds all the way up to who knows how many and I am supposed to guess. The only way they said I could get it would be to get the previous owner's permission, but this is a foreclosure so no luck there. I doubt they want to help the guy who bought there home they were kicked out of. So I guess I will be getting a bill at least for a couple months before I decide on how big a system I will need.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm 
Malihini

Kona Dave wrote:
haoleboy wrote:

About three hours AM and three hours PM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
Kona Dave wrote:
haoleboy wrote:

About three hours AM and three hours PM.

Not sure but from what I heard everyone was having it run only for one period a day. Not for two periods like you are. I am not sure you are getting a full benefit from it not running. I may be wrong here as I am no expert.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:47 pm 
Malihini

Then that would suck!
I want the option of a hot shower at night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

haoleboy wrote:
Then that would suck!
I want the option of a hot shower at night.

You are probably getting some benefit from using it. Just not to the fullest possible savings.

Don't you want to go to bed stinky? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Da Kine Web Design
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:46 pm 
Malihini

Has anyone here ever went with an electric tankless water heater? The solar water heater I have now looked like it was going to need some maintenance in the new future. Since I would hate to have to put holes in a new roof to reattach an old solar unit, just wondering what an energy star rated one would add to the electric bill verses maybe adding another panel to make up the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 am 
Malihini

big_island_bound wrote:
Has anyone here ever went with an electric tankless water heater? The solar water heater I have now looked like it was going to need some maintenance in the new future. Since I would hate to have to put holes in a new roof to reattach an old solar unit, just wondering what an energy star rated one would add to the electric bill verses maybe adding another panel to make up the difference.

I ordered one for a mainland project about 5 or 6 years ago, but ended up not needing it. From what I remember, they are almost double the price of LP units. Also draws a huge load, requires a 100 amp circuit I think.

Page 2 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next