It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Multi-Facetted Homes?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 am 
Keiki

Aloha & Good Morning!
Has anyone had or knows anyone who has had any experience with the company who manufactures Multi-Facetted Homes?
Looking into them ourselves and not sure. We keep going back & forth between "stick framed" and some kind of pre-manufactured home.
We're coming back "Home" end of March into April 2012 and wanted to start talking construction with some different builders. Any recomendations from anyone? Also, how has the construction industry going on the Big Island? Are contractors busy or is it slowed down?

Also, can anyone tell me the exact location of the Volunteer Fire Department that is located in Ocean View?

We hope All is Good with You All!
mahalo

"Stay Alert - Stay Safe - Stay Alive"

Post subject: Re: Multi-Facetted Homes?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 am 
Kona Kastoff

Mike Munnerlyn (builditkau@yahoo.com) has built several homes for both myself and my clients, I can highly recommend him. He probably can give you more info on the MFH too. (I know of one lawsuit against them and the builder they recommended.) Regardless, there is another aspect you should consider. It's hard to get a loan on unconventional homes (both building it and for the buyer when you are selling it) and unconventional homes appeal only to a small segment of buyers. I personally like them and I was considering building something similar http://Topsider.com but decided against it because of the factors I already mentioned. "Package homes" came a long way and they look much nicer now. HPM has some decent looking ones on the Big Island.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
Malihini

I don't know the exact location of the volunteer fire department in Ocean View, but suggest that you call the Ocean View Community Association at 808-939-7033 or you could send them an email at ovcahawaii@gmail.com.

Regarding the multi-facetted homes, we originally were looking at building one in 2004. We were impressed with their own home in Puna (can't remember exactly where now), but we couldn't find a builder who would do the building for us. Our neighbors built one a couple of years ago and did most of the work themselves. I wasn't totally pleased with how the interior came out. You really do need to be able to make some on-the-spot decisions and also be able to fully visualize how to use the strange angles.

Construction industry here is flat. We know of one contractor who has declared bankruptcy, which is really too bad because he did an excellent job. I second Mike Munnerlyn, and have one builder that I would advise staying away from. Send me a personal email if you wish to discuss further.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

jkpsr wrote:
Aloha & Good Morning!
Has anyone had or knows anyone who has had any experience with the company who manufactures Multi-Facetted Homes?
Looking into them ourselves and not sure. We keep going back & forth between "stick framed" and some kind of pre-manufactured home.
We're coming back "Home" end of March into April 2012 and wanted to start talking construction with some different builders. Any recomendations from anyone? Also, how has the construction industry going on the Big Island? Are contractors busy or is it slowed down?

Also, can anyone tell me the exact location of the Volunteer Fire Department that is located in Ocean View?

We hope All is Good with You All!
mahalo

I personally prefer a more traditional Hawaiian Home on post and pier. Most of the package homes can be built either way. I tend to agree with John on the specialty homes. They are a hard sell even in a hot market.

Here is a map of the volunteer fire departments around the island. Sorry it is not more accurate.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:33 pm 
Keiki

Thans everyone!
The more info we can gather, the better!
I will be contacting you all soon for all of your input!
Anyone interested in meeting face-to-face, end of March-April 2012? We (my wife & I) would like to start making some more permanent connections back "Home"!
I will be sending PM's to you all. I'd like to meet you all on home turf!
mahalo!
Jim

"Stay Alert - Stay Safe - Stay Alive"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:06 pm 
Kona Kastoff

jkpsr wrote:
Anyone interested in meeting face-to-face, end of March-April 2012? We (my wife & I) would like to start making some more permanent connections back "Home"!
I'm always available for free booze! :lol: :lol: :lol:

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
We know of one contractor who has declared bankruptcy, which is really too bad because he did an excellent job.
Babette, was that Scott Stabo? (I'm just guessing since I know he has been sued for defects in a home he built. I might be wrong, but as I recall it was a MFH house.) He was a nice guy, I still have his company T-shirt he gave me when he was still living in CO!

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 am 
Malihini

John, I really hate to see someone be slandered on a public forum without all the facts being presented, and without them having the ability to respond to you. :evil:

The truth about the MF house that you are referring it, was that Scott was not the general contractor but was hired only to do the framing. The owner had already hired and fired the general before Scott came on the job, and the owner ended up suing anyone who had anything to do with the project. Was the lawsuit because the property owner didn't like Scott's work (and the work of everyone else on the job), or was it because he was unhappy with the product? I don't know the answer to that, and I will not make up an answer to that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

John S. Rabi wrote:
Babette wrote:
We know of one contractor who has declared bankruptcy, which is really too bad because he did an excellent job.
Babette, was that Scott Stabo? (I'm just guessing since I know he has been sued for defects in a home he built. I might be wrong, but as I recall it was a MFH house.) He was a nice guy, I still have his company T-shirt he gave me when he was still living in CO!

I spoke with Scott and his wife a few times a couple of years ago and they told me what had happened. The owner fired the other contractor and then hired Scott to finish the home. From what they said the owner was happy with the work Scott did. But was unhappy with what the other contractor did. Apparently, a lawsuit was filed and since then Scott's name has been associated with this issue. So I am guessing this is what you are referring to? I don't know if Scott ever filed for bankruptcy? But I have to say I have heard of no one who ever had a problem with Scott. Just this one issue that seems to haunt Scott.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
John, I really hate to see someone be slandered on a public forum without all the facts being presented, and without them having the ability to respond to you. :evil:
Babette, there are more to this than you know. First of all, I did not slander Scott, his licensing status is public information at http://pvl.ehawaii.gov/pvlsearch/app" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (LICENSE FORFEITED DUE TO LOSS OF PRINCIPAL) and he certainly has the ability to respond to me since he knows my number and my e-mail too. In addition, I bet you didn't know, but I actually received a subpoena in regards to the case I mentioned.
PS. Why would I "slander" Scott? As I already posted, he is a nice guy.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm 
Malihini

Well, John, you certainly made me mad (could you tell?), when your original post said "was that Scott Stabo? (I'm just guessing since I know he has been sued for defects in a home he built)". It wasn't until I called you out that you clarified that by saying that the owner was satisfied with the work that Scott did and toned it down to say ""a lawsuit was filed and since then Scott's name has been associated with this issue". Too bad you couldn't have said in your original post what you said in your second one. Someone came on the board asking for builder recommendations, and your response was that Scott Stabo has been sued for defects in a home he built. THAT'S what made me mad!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:01 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Babette wrote:
...and toned it down to say ""a lawsuit was filed and since then Scott's name has been associated with this issue".
That is the problem with forums, people read whatever they want to read. It's easy to misunderstand postings. I didn't "tone down" anything, I just clarified what I posted. I'm wearing a black "Stabo Construction Company, Inc." T-shirt as I type this. :) :) :)

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:22 am 
Da Kine

I'm wearing an aluminum foil hat (and nothing else) as I type this. It's silver colored.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:34 am 
Kama'aina

I happen to know for a fact that all quality Secret Service agents keep a roll of aluminum foil in their desk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Babette wrote:
Well, John, you certainly made me mad (could you tell?), when your original post said "was that Scott Stabo? (I'm just guessing since I know he has been sued for defects in a home he built)". It wasn't until I called you out that you clarified that by saying that the owner was satisfied with the work that Scott did and toned it down to say ""a lawsuit was filed and since then Scott's name has been associated with this issue". Too bad you couldn't have said in your original post what you said in your second one. Someone came on the board asking for builder recommendations, and your response was that Scott Stabo has been sued for defects in a home he built. THAT'S what made me mad!

Babette,

I am afraid you are confusing what John said with what I said. I was the one who said: "...owner was satisfied with the work that Scott did and toned it down to say ""a lawsuit was filed and since then Scott's name has been associated with this issue"...."

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next