It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Construction Timeline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:26 am 
Kama

Aloha!
My husband, my mother, and I plan to move to the Kona area one year from now. We are debating on whether to purchase an existing home with a small cottage or buy 1-2 acres and build. What is the typical timeline for getting a house built? Also, what steps prior to actual construction are the most time-consuming and/or troublesome? Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 am 
Kona Kastoff

Only you can decide what would be more beneficial for you. There are some very good deals out there on existing and even new homes now, but they might not be the kind of homes or not in the area you want. It takes about nine months to build from the time you are ready and submit your building plans for approval. Go to my web site and click on the "Building In Hawaii" link. If you still have questions feel free to e-mail me from there.

Typically Tropical Properties
75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: Click HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:37 pm 
Malihini

sregner,
John is the real estate go-to person on this forum (and a few others also). I recommend you chat with him, but also check out the possibilities around the island through these web sites:
http://www.hawaiiinformation.com/RESearch/
http://www.trulia.com/HI/Naalehu/
http://www.localhawaiirealestate.com/

The Hawaiian information web site is probably the most versatile for setting your criteria and searching electronically. You can also keep asking questions on this forum. There are plenty of people here, myself included, who are also looking for that piece of paradise.

Post subject: Re: Construction Timeline
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:13 pm 
Keiki

sregner wrote:
Aloha!
My husband, my mother, and I plan to move to the Kona area one year from now. We are debating on whether to purchase an existing home with a small cottage or buy 1-2 acres and build. What is the typical timeline for getting a house built? Also, what steps prior to actual construction are the most time-consuming and/or troublesome? Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

This is a hard question, because the size of the home has a lot to do with how long it takes to build. Also, the type of foundation will not only influence the cost but also the time it takes for the home to complete.

My 1947 sq. ft. home (post and pier construction) started at the end of last September, and will be finished by the end of April.
And, as John pointed out, paperwork (design & permit, etc.) eats up a lot of time before construction can start.

If you want to see the progress of this home go to http://kohalaconstruction.com and click on projects and then click on Custom Home.

according to my wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am 
Malihini

It really is hard to predict "typical" time to get a house built, since it depends on how big or how custom your want to go. Palani's recent experience is a good indicator. We built ours six years ago, and it took from October to May, so just about the same timeframe. By the way, Palani, it looks like you've got some killer views!

If you build make sure you talk to lots of people about their experiences and get plenty of references for whomever you hire. Sometimes things just go on "Hawaii time" and you have to be prepared to go with the flow.

Post subject: Permits?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 am 
Kama

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. Assuming we choose to go with one of the "packaged" homes, how long does it take to get permits so that you are actually ready to start construction. What are the hurdles to obtaining the permits, such as archaeological, geological, etc.?

Post subject: Re: Permits?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 am 
Kona Kastoff

sregner wrote:
Thank you so much for the helpful replies. Assuming we choose to go with one of the "packaged" homes, how long does it take to get permits so that you are actually ready to start construction. What are the hurdles to obtaining the permits, such as archaeological, geological, etc.?

It's easy with the package homes like Trojan or HPM since they already have been approved zillion times, so it's just a "rubber stamp" now. Permits are usually issued within 30 days for such homes. If your property is in a subdivision you do not need an archaeological survey. (Generally, it's not needed for any property unless there are reports or evidence of findings on the property.) I don't know what geological means, never heard of it. Everything is lava here.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Post subject: Re: Permits?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:10 pm 
Keiki

John S. Rabi wrote:
sregner wrote:

It's easy with the package homes like Trojan or HPM since they already have been approved zillion times, so it's just a "rubber stamp" now. Permits are usually issued within 30 days for such homes. If your property is in a subdivision you do not need an archaeological survey. (Generally, it's not needed for any property unless there are reports or evidence of findings on the property.) I don't know what geological means, never heard of it. Everything is lava here.

All is true, providing no changes to the plans are made.

according to my wife.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:10 am 
If I had the option I would build a house over purchasing any day. That way, I'd be able to make it exactly how I wanted it, rather than moving into someone else's choices. I hope everything goes well with your permits. If you can get a reasonable price, then your new home can be good investment real estate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

jill89 wrote:
If I had the option I would build a house over purchasing any day. That way, I'd be able to make it exactly how I wanted it, rather than moving into someone else's choices. I hope everything goes well with your permits. If you can get a reasonable price, then your new home can be good investment real estate.

I knew there was something weird about this user jill89. Turns out to be a spammer. I deleted their account.

Dave Brilliant
Proudly Serving Both Oahu and the Big Island!!!
Kona Ka'u Realty
75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:15 pm 
Da Kine

I couldn't figure out why they kept resurrecting these old threads.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

New Daddy wrote:
I couldn't figure out why they kept resurrecting these old threads.

It's typical of spammers to do that. But they didn't spam the forum until the last post. I removed the spam part. Spammers are getting more and cautious because they don't get paid unless they can prove their spam is on the forum. If you spam on the first post you are more likely to get removed. But they bring up old conversations hoping no one will pay much attention. And then they waited until their 4th post before they spammed. Sometimes though they make good posts and wait a week then edit the good posts and places spam in them. That is much harder to catch.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:13 am 
Kama

Aloha!

Sregner! there may be a good option on existing homes, but it depends on choice. However, i think 10 months required to build a new house. Constructing a house from base may be most time-consumising.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Admin

afifaadam wrote:
Aloha!

Sregner! there may be a good option on existing homes, but it depends on choice. However, i think 10 months required to build a new house. Constructing a house from base may be most time-consumising.

The timeline is solely restricted by how busy the local contractors are at the time you want to start building. Right now I know construction around Kona is at an all time high. And I have a friend over on the Hilo side who is busy right now. So make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations.

Dave Brilliant
Kona Ka'u Realty
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Ka'u Web
Ka'u Blog
Ka'u Homes
Pohue Bay
Kona Forum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:36 pm 
Kona Kastoff

Add two months to your time frame, that's how much time it takes to get a building permit.

75-5737 Kuakini Highway
Suite 202
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
johnrabi.com

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]